Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I got. Be patient, keep reading.

Last week I hit 1200 miles, so my break-in was officially over. Changed oil to synthetic and run Gumout Regane to remove carbon deposits. For those interested why, look here - at least check pics and initial explanation.
On Saturday, at 1400 miles I filled up, performed my usual magic and went for the ride. I was paying attention to engine, to asses the difference, and there it was - engine smoothed out and acceleration became effortless from any rpm. I was able to easily drop to 2500-3000 rpm and keep it there without shudder and lurching, then open the throttle and smoothly accelerate from it. Given, engine is still not quite happy this low (you can hear "chatter" between cylinders, as I call it) and pulses are a little rougher then above 4k, but is so ridable that several times I found myself in this range by surprise, just closing the throttle while following cars on narrow road.
Now, I am talking mostly 2nd and 3rd gear - but even in first you are able to keep it there with careful throttle (this is true for any other bike engine on planet - none is quite happy in first gear).

OK, so what is this magic? It is fuel additive called ACES IV. Before you shrug it off and dismiss this post, do yourself a favor and check this info. Here are detailed test results as performed by Motortec magazine some time ago. Additive was called TK7 then, and results confirmed all the claims by manufacturer. For those impatient, here is a brief:
- additive increases apparent (road) fuel octane, improves power output while reducing emissions
- cleaning of the fuel system and reduced carbon build up
- reduced ring and bore wear - upper cylinder lubricant released in every combustion cycle

I started using it mostly for 2 last effects - I wanted something that would reduce carbon buildup and protect engine in long run. I do not flip bikes after 3-5k miles, usually keep them longer and put some mileage on them. Put it in my Speed Triple and Suzuki, cars, and friend's Goldwing with start hesitation and flat spot problems... In all cases results are the same: cures any problems if present, makes engine run smoother, better acceleration, increase of power. I can provide more anecdotal evidence but try to be brief here. You can read about long term test effects in provided link.
Why I didn't use it until break-in is over? Released upper cylinder lubricant is so effective that it extends time necessary to seal rings (same reason I've been using mineral oil).
This additive is what manufacturers calls fuel catalyst - helps in cleaner and more complete burning of fuel. You add it in very small amounts - 1 fl.oz
per 6 US gallons. This amounts to approx. $0.50 per gallon, and you can drop to lower octane grade, so it evens out. What is cool about it, this sould be used in parallel to any other method to tune the engine - power commander, FatDuc, maps loaded to ECU - with better overall results.

You can get ACES IV from BND Automotive (link here) - for order you have to call. There is some more info on website - read it, worth it.

So here you go - you can use this info or dismiss it. For those who give it a try, you're welcome - I know you'll be happy.

Usual disclaimer: I have no interest in promoting this product, just provide the information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bro your bike feels snatchy because of the fuel mapping.

No additive crap can fix that. What you felt was a clever marketing induced placebo combined with the fact that your motor is now broken in.

The only real solution to your problem is a DP ECU and some slipons.

If your motor was vibrating and lurching because of the oil you had in it then you'd have a lot more problems lol....
- Try it before you dismiss it.
- Motor was broken-in before I added it, and change was quite dramatic
- vibrating and lurching at low revs because of oil... that's the new one. So FatDuc was developed to address a problem of bad oil?

I don't need to spend big bucks on slip-ons and ECU - I never perceived shudder below 4k as a problem, I just keep it always above it. Just providing info for those who complain about it.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
hmmm, what did Barnum and Bailey say... something about a sucker born every minute.

Ok, maybe it helps, but I'm damned sure not going to be carrying a stockpile of additives for something that just needs to be tuned. Additives are just a temporary internal combustion heroin/placebo fix. The bike will run fine on gas and the money you save from NOT putting additives in the tank can be better served up as purchases to the board sponsors for carbon bits and go fast parts... IMHO

I have no idea what you mean about the FatDuc Manipulators and oil? They alter the voltage output of the O2 sensor to the ECU.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-ACES-IV-fuel-catalyst

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
My bike is from the latest production run and you can almost run 6th gear at 2500-3000 rpm. I guess Ducati must have gotten wind of this additive and fixed the problem they originally had with it!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
So is this stuff anything like that NOS stuff you put in your tank a while back?

now,, I know you aren't talking about power,, you are talking about fixing a fuel mapping issue by adding special stuff to my tank, BUT,, this vid adequately summarizes my thoughts on fuel additives

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea what you mean about the FatDuc Manipulators and oil? They alter the voltage output of the O2 sensor to the ECU.
It was the answer to the suggestion that rough low revs were due to wrong oil that I - supposedly - used. I know that FatDuc was developed to manipulate O2 output to overcome close loop control and lean fueling at low revs.
Now your link it to what? Empty thread in which nobody knew anything about it?

Put this in and it'll be smooth all the way to the Sunday revival meetin!

Bullshit Spammer! GTF Out of here!:mad:

Hock your snake-oil somewhere else! :eek:

Anybody want some koolaid?
Well, it wasn't me who was pathetically and incessantly whining about "low rev unacceptable fueling problems", "I did not expect this from 20K bike", "this is the last Ducati that I bought" etc, etc. I don't give a damn if you use this info or not, but just got tired about it. As I said, I never perceived it as problem, keeping engine above 4k rpm comes natural to me. Shudder and poor running in 3-4k range were plaguing Ducati engines since introduction of emission related close loop control - that was the reason why FatDuc was developed, quite a while before SF was out. It was problem on both liquid and air cooled engines - in the matter of fact I remember it being really bad on Multistrada 1100 and Monsters. Never, however, was there this amount of whining and calling for "email action" and all other methods of pressure to exert on DNA to "fix this horrible problem".

I hesitated to post it here, and was right - received typical reaction. Usual know-it-alls will dismiss it, not even trying to go to provided links and check the info. It could not be the solution, it does not Ducati logo on it. Reading? To much effort! All I have to know is how much I paid for the latest bit of carbon that I adorned my bike with, rest should be left to the dealer! Doing my own maintenance - I have the dealer number programmed in my cell!

Keep whining and polishing your carbon fiber bits.

·
Registered
395 Posts
..........I hesitated to post it here, and was right - received typical reaction. Usual know-it-alls will dismiss it, not even trying to go to provided links and check the info. ..........
Bohdan,
I think if you didn’t get all theatrical on our asses with your announcement; little tease, long pause,and a big wright up, just to tell us you liked the effect of a fuel additive, you wouldn’t have gotten such a reaction from people who have been around motorcycles long enough to know better.

But again, thank you for sharing. :D

PS.

I'm sure there are some people out there trying what you suggested......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bohdan,
I think if you didn’t get all theatrical on our asses .....
I wasn't being theatrical, just really got tied-up. Same was yesterday, but reading that some here got interested and wait for answer, I decided to sacrifice some sleep and wrote the post at 3am. It got lengthy because tried to provide some info so it is worth my lost sleep.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I wasn't being theatrical, just really got tied-up. Same was yesterday, but reading that some here got interested and wait for answer, I decided to sacrifice some sleep and wrote the post at 3am. It got lengthy because tried to provide some info so it is worth my lost sleep.
:D haha that's what happens when you Drunk Post!.. we love you too dude!!

·
Bon Vivant
10,916 Posts
All I have to know is how much I paid for the latest bit of carbon that I adorned my bike with, rest should be left to the dealer! Doing my own maintenance - I have the dealer number programmed in my cell!
Tell us all about it... I'm sure you're a master mechanic with an engineering degree and a PHD in combustion engine theory...

most people who do their own wrenching know all about these additives :sleep:

·
Registered
233 Posts
We ought to take him out back and beat the shit out of him!!! :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey, man

I'm glad you went to all that trouble to share your observations with us.
I'm going to side with those attributing this improvement to brake in of your engine.
As of today I have 3,700+ miles on my bike and the overall improvement in performance is too obvious not to notice, much sharper on acceleration and smoother at lower rpm. Also I’m riding between 8,000 and 11,000 ft above sea level, so I don’t have the power most guys do.:(
If I were to give an advice on how to improve the bike I'd start with "riding the piss out of it first" before looking elsewhere. Pushing the bike up to 78mph on the first and to 97mph on the second did a lot of good to that engine as far as I’m concern.:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well..this thread has revealed some true characters. Some not so good, and others worse.

Must be the inherited italian blood ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts