Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup.SMOKED!
I had dismantled the bike this past winter for a thourough service.Bought the bike in '09/w 9k miles and experienced weird events on rides when ALL electrical would cease.Startlingly,sometimes on accel when passing in traffic it would quit.It would always promptly restart and i could usually continue.This could happen a few times in a 200 mile ride.I thought fuelling so i replaced ALL hoses and filters.I also REMOVED this goofy sidestand bypass(Electraeon?) harness i thought may have been associated with the problem.I've dismantled/remachined my '00 996 SEVERAL times and felt proficient removing the harness.The ST2 uses the same 1.6m ECU as the 996 too.There was ONE plug i screwed up.

At the starter relay,the white plug went in BACKWARD initially and the bike started.The next day,with dead battery i found this.The positive terminal,when attached,sparked a little more than seemed normal.Two days later with a full charge i tried to start getting the "click,click,click" from the starter again thinking dead battery i held in the starter button too long and PUFFFFFF goes the smoke coming from the side stand harness.
So here i am.IT SUCKS.Trying to follow the smoked wire.My schematic doesn't show the sidestand safety harness but my 996 manual does,and shows a safety relay i haven't yet identified.

My plan goin forward is to source a NEW harness from Ducati.Are they even available? I found a few on E-Bay for about $100 each and may also try to source one of those.

WHAT COULD'VE HAPPENED? And how can i protect myself from SMOKING another GOOD harness?

I also have two pair of very special crimping pliers for AMP and Deutch connectors and consider deconstructing the existing harness but that is a new hobby i'm new to.

Can you offer any advice? THIS ST2 is very important to me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here's where all the negative ground wires connect.I believe the kickstand ground wire was positively charged and did burn all the way to here.Now...why was the green kickstand wire positively charged?

·
Mr Leakered
8,781 Posts
Dude,

Your hands are freaky.

Sorry, but you are too far in to electron bits for me to be any help. Although, in your other thread, I did post up a few ST schematics. Your 02 ST2 should be similar in most ways to the 2001 ST4. The 1998 ST2 didn't have a side stand switch, I believe. Knowing Duc, they probably never updated the Owners Manual.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does anyone know what the "safety relay" associated with the sidestand
LOOKS like? If I can isolate it I may diagnose it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dude,

Your hands are freaky.

I have to agree with Tonered, who ever did your nails either missed doing your right index finger or took too much off your left index finger. Fear not, it'll grow back. Perhaps Ducati Red nails next time?

I have purchased Deutsch connectors from Batts Racing in the past:

Welcome to Batts Racing and DeutschConnector.com

They were very helpful on the phone answering questions too.

I commend your bravery venturing into the world of uncooperative electrons.

I recall we discussed this on the phone Saturday "At the starter relay,the white plug went in BACKWARD initially and the bike started." Is it possible to trace on the schematic what this backwards plug connection would have applied power to or grounded incorrectly? I'll try to trace this condition on the C size schematic plots I have.

Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The harness showed as an active p/n today and I spent $750 and will now await it's arrival hopefully w/in 6 months.I am also persuing a used one for $140. If I can't rectify the
Problem then.....what's the best way to junk it short of giving it to the local chapter of the HA?

HA-HA!!

Incidentally,I swapped the starter relay with my996 and it is fine after about 100 miles

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take the ST to the blessing of the bikes May 6th. I know there will be ha there to straighten out your ST if needed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i suppose there are also "Rebuild/Re-manufacture possibilities as well.I can solder well

Lemme see what i can do.this may take awhile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts