Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my drive way moving the bike when she wouldn't start right away then on the third push she fired up.. Thought it was due to the cold weather and not gasing it.. Then poof.. Lots of smoke from the left side!!! Shut her down and jump off like a man on fire. (I have a super slow leak from the tank on the left side. new tank at painters as we speak)

After some looking I find the side stand kill switches black wire from the main wire loom to the connector down low is bare wire now. WOW.. WTF..

I take off the bat and have to cut into the shielding on the main wire harness to follow the black wire (what's left of it) to it's starting point where it comes off a juncture of 3 wires.. The blue/black wire has a few burns in it as well from the light off.. I tired some new wire down to the plug but that got hot fast from the start up and so did the wire down to the side stand switch.

I'm thinking the switch is gone as I can connect the NEW blue/black and black wire directly together and she starts up no prob and the new wires do not get hot. However now I am worried that it's just 2 wires together and not three like the switch has below..

So what probs will I see if I just keep the two wires connected? The side stand kill switch connectors are no longer in the loop at all..

Just the top 2 wires....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Soooo No feedback on just connecting the 2 wires on the sidestand start switch?
The upper connector has 2 wires.. Blue/black line and black that goes into the lower connector which is 3 wires.
Right now I just have the 2 upper wires connected and the bike starts but I am concerned about a possible ground issue maybe?

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
I have removed my stand switch and connected the bike side wiring together to eliminate the whole fiasco. Although, my bike is functioning well (I believe). Doing so may get your SS running, but what was the root cause?

Cross your fingers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best guess is the blue/black wire had a nic in it and was touching metal.. There was damage on the other side of that wire and no signs of melting around the nick as all other wire damage showed melting and or fusing of the other wire to it.

Also the connector had wire inside of it.. I saw posts of people placing wire inside there in an S shape to bypass the sidestand switch so maybe that had something to do with it. (Prime suspect other then the wire nic.)

Also the fuse to the gauge cluster had a 10 amp and not a 7.5 amp fuse as indicated on the cover. Not sure if it had anything to do with it but I am going over everything now.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
That would also work for those folks that remove the sidestand for racing, just using paddock stands.

The TPO part would have been a more elegant solution to my wire nut and electrical tape. Hahaha.

Being able to start in all conditions while removing a couple runs of wire is a plus in my category. Also recently, I was able to use the starter and 1st gear to roll the Duc on to my trailer when the fuel pump hose popped off.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
LOL.. So you found a new gear. 1,N,2,3,4,5,6 and now 1/2...

I feel better now. Thanks for all the info..
I am pretty sure I wont start the bike in gear. I act start the bike while on it then get off again to let it warm up. Now I am not so worried about having the 2 wires together.

Also I took off the main ground and it looked like a layer of crusted muck and covered the underside of the ground ring and the block. Some wire brush action and WD40 clean up and metal to metal all the way now..

I hope that's the end of my James Bond smoke screen action...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 03 800SS and am having the same problem. Where you getting a clicking noise when you tried to start? Mine is clicking and not turning over, and then the wire starts to smoke.
Also, how far into the harness was the 3 wire junction.

Thanks

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
LOL.. So you found a new gear. 1,N,2,3,4,5,6 and now 1/2...

I feel better now. Thanks for all the info..
I am pretty sure I wont start the bike in gear. I act start the bike while on it then get off again to let it warm up. Now I am not so worried about having the 2 wires together.

Also I took off the main ground and it looked like a layer of crusted muck and covered the underside of the ground ring and the block. Some wire brush action and WD40 clean up and metal to metal all the way now..

I hope that's the end of my James Bond smoke screen action...
Yup, 0.5 was very handy. The starter sprag probably didn't like it, but it sure beat dropping it while struggling otherwise.

I always verify neutral before geting off. The only time I don't is when on a hill using the sidestand. I'll park in 1st. Pretty fool proof, even for me.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts