Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a naked 749 for a buddy of mine who got hit on his last year.

Looking to dump the OE batt box assembly and move the batt up to the rear subframe.

Building new seat pan and running a small carbon can outback to heat won't be too large an issue, but space is limited.

Been looking at a few LFX14 Shorai's as I may be able to squeeze one of these under the rear cowl I'll be molding for the tail, but curious what other's have had luck with.

Ballistic is out, had nothing but issues with the 8cell I ran on my 996. The LFX18's start the 996 and 853's fine, but I think it's a bit overkill for a base unmodified 749 motor.

This isn't going to be a daily ridden bike and will be a warm/fair weather machine so not really worried about cold weather current supply or starting much.

Space to work with is about 5Lx5Wx4H roughly. Hit me with thoughts....

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have had great luck with Antigravity batteries and they can usually be found on sale, especially this time of year. They make a couple small case options that I can see

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about Antigravity but haven't heard o many people using them outside small cafe'd Honda's and such.

Like you said HyperJB, they do have some great sizes for small packaging. Was waiting to see who's had positive review of what, will take another look.

What size antigravity have you run in what HyperJB? I know the LFX14 with the shorai's is about as low as you want to go on these twins.

Reactions: HyperJB

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was thinking about Antigravity but haven't heard o many people using them outside small cafe'd Honda's and such.

Like you said HyperJB, they do have some great sizes for small packaging. Was waiting to see who's had positive review of what, will take another look.

What size antigravity have you run in what HyperJB? I know the LFX14 with the shorai's is about as low as you want to go on these twins.
I have the OEM size Antigravity 12 cell batteries in both my Hyper and ST4 (Antigravity YT12B). They produce significantly more cranking amps over the standard lead/acid, and make both my bikes jump to life extremely quick, even on pretty cold days. Not to mention they weigh absolutely nothing. I purchased mine from Shifttech carbon in Florida, they do I think 10% discount to board members. They also have the 7 cell on sale right now, which they claim easily starts a Panigale. May be worth looking into, here is the link.

ST1364 YT7B ANTIGRAVITY BATTERY - Shift-Tech Carbon

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,174 Posts
You don't need the LFX14, I've been running the smaller LFX12 for about 6 years now on the 748/853 no problem.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I still have a stock size lead acid battery in my 749 but I have the Shorai LFX14 in my Sportclassic since 2012 and so far has been perfectly reliable as long as the temperature is above 40F.

·
8,174 Posts
Speedcell 5AH won't cut it for a road bike.

·
8,174 Posts
Think it will do a 748 davy.
Not a chance with 5AH... he did ask for the smallest reliable one.
This isn't a track bike it's for the road and if he's putting it at the back under the seat then there will be long cable run losses.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Something to consider — I just started my 999s for the first time in three months, and I had to crank the sucker over many times before it finally caught fire. I've an LX18 in it, and it held on. If the bike is used regularly, great. But if - as so many of us do - you use your bike once in a while (in my case between trips abroad) then a bigger battery might be in order. Food for thought.

Ron

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Something to consider — I just started my 999s for the first time in three months, and I had to crank the sucker over many times before it finally caught fire. I've an LX18 in it, and it held on. If the bike is used regularly, great. But if - as so many of us do - you use your bike once in a while (in my case between trips abroad) then a bigger battery might be in order. Food for thought.

Ron

The LFX18 in my 996 and High-comp 853 both start ever spring after sitting all winter not issues. Usually take three shots and they fire right up.

This bike will be used to bomb around Brooklyn and Manhattan with some jaunts up to orange County on the weekends.

It will be used, but isn't going to be a "commuter"

Good to know success has been had with the LFX12 as well. I'm gonna make some foam mockups this weekend to see what will fit where. Appreciate the info so far guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts