Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the smallest battery one can run on a 900SS carb bike that will start easily? I am looking at the shorai 12Ah, but I would like to run something smaller/lighter if possible, maybe like the MOTY design 8 cell, or Ballistic 8 cell? Please let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have a fairly new Shorai LFX18 on my FE, and a 3 year old Speedcell 8 cell on my track bike. Both start the bikes fine, but the Powerlet cables I put on my track bike actually allow the starter motor to spin it faster, in spite of the fact that it has 11:1 pistons (the FE pistons are stock). The key is to get the resistance in the 3 wires (battery -, battery +, solenoid to starter) as low as possible, so you get more juice to the starter.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The principal advantage of using a larger battery is to be able to restart repeatedly. If you regularly don't ride long enough to recharge fully between restarts, stay with a larger capacity battery. Also, a lower amp-hour battery will need to be trickle-charged more often and the chance of a deep discharge (that reduces battery life) is greater with smaller batteries.

You need a battery that is reliable, one that you can depend on to start when you're riding in the boondocks. For the track, a marginal battery is fine, there's people around who can help out if you can't get it started.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I would not go smaller than a 14ah on a 900SS.

The weight difference between a 18ah Shorai and 14ah is very small (less than a pound), but you will have a lot more reserve, power and longevity with the 18ah.

These batteries don't need a battery tender unless you have a draw or the bike sits for months at a time.

Shorai Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Battery LFX18L1-BS12
  • 18 Amp Hour, 270 Cold Cranking Amps.
  • Ultra-light weight - 2.19 lb.
  • Ultra-compact - 5.83” x 4.13” x 2.60”
Shorai Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Battery LFX14L2-BS12
  • 14 Amp Hour, 210 Cold Cranking Amps.
  • Ultra-light weight - 1.27 lb.
  • Ultra-compact - 5.83” x 4.13” x 2.60”
We use the Shorai on our own bikes because of the protection circuit and great warranty. We've seen some of the a123 based batteries come apart when abused. The Shorai will sacrifice the battery- not the bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the 14Ah shorai and some new cables will keep it reliable. What is special about the powerlett cables? Is there an ideal wire gauge or type for the starter cables? Or am I just looking for low resistance? I will probably make them unless there is a must have proven over all others product out there. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't forget Alien Motion

AM8-01. Just $99. FREE SHIPPING!
And "Assembled in USA".
I'm quite happy with mine in my 749!
(weight: 1 lb., 13 oz.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 8 cell A123 battery and it's just fine. It holds a charge better than any lead acid battery I have ever had. The biggest problem is low temperatures. These batteries do not like the cold at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those alien motion batteries look like they are Ballistic batteries with a sticker on them! I like the LiFePOL batteries like the a123 cells, I have one on my DRZ and the only thing that killed it was my friend cranking it until it was dead before switching the tank to reserve... They dont like cold very much, and they dont like being drained without being charged immediately. I can get a good deal on the Shorais now, so Im going to use that. Any other info on starter cables?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Do a search here. There have been several threads about battery cables. I used the Powerlet and ran the old solenoid-to-starter cable, from the battery to the ground on the motor, to improve the ground (perfect length). Powerlet is cheap ($30) but works great for me, Motolectric is expensive ($120), and some people have made their own. Search.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So far so good with my shorai. It sure fixed the hesitation on starting that I had on the yuasa. I dont know how you could go smaller...Mines got enough foam around it to make a small dog bed!:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts