Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys--
Quick question --

There's a small screw just aft of the spark plug on the vertical cylinder ('95 900 engine)
It looks like mine's seeping just a bit of oil...

My guess is that it's an access point for a drilled oil passage....
I was gonna snug it down but thought I'd check here before doing so, in case over tightening might close off one of the oil passages....

So anybody know what this screw is for sure? And will snugging it down harm anything / stop the seeping?

Thanks in advance----
Bob

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I'm a long way from my SS right now, but I think that goes into the oil gallery( they are partially oil cooled) nothing wrong with snugging it down or sealing it if it weeps.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I was wondering the same thing as mine is weeping wee bit of oil too.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Remove the screw and replace the crush washer, perhaps add some threebond for extra security...

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I'm a long way from my SS right now, but I think that goes into the oil gallery( they are partially oil cooled) nothing wrong with snugging it down or sealing it if it weeps.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Let's not start the oil gallery vs oil galley discussion again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
IF you can get it out it is best to replace it with a screw with thread sealant on it and snug it home, a crush washer would not hurt either. If you break it off in the head trying to remove it it can be a pain, don't ask how I know. Some used a small flat blade set screw others use a 6x1.0 cap screw, the flat blade is hard to get out but the cap screw breaks off more often and then you have to drill it out.

If you are going to try and remove it get the engine hot so the aluminum expands and makes it easier.

Yes it is blocking off the oil feed to the head galley if you remove the camshaft end cap you will see a hole in the head that joins with it . Oil comes up from the right side rear of the cylinder and crosses to the left side via the drilled out passage, they then need to close off the drill hole.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
It was bugging me that there was no picture of this so I went and found one for you.I never noticed this on my bike (it's a 94) but I keep forgetting to look!

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Let's not start the oil gallery vs oil galley discussion again! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You notice how careful I was to use the CORRECT term ? It wasn't an oil boat, it wasn't an oil kitchen on a boat .:laugh:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah- spoke to a buddy who's a duc mechanic-
And yeah, he also says no problem snugging it down if it's seeping-

Thanks for the input homies!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
These screws in my Monster engine were aluminium cap heads, don't know if Ducati fitted them or if a later change?

Anyway I fitted MBP camshaft end caps with external oil feed so have blocked the oil feed from the cylinder to that gallery and also (for good measure) plugged the head where it feeds into the bearings so no oil is in there anyway.

I used stainless cap heads in the holes to keep it neat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts