Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping someone can help me out here, I just picked up a 2015 Monster 821 with 4000kms on it so almost new.. after a few rides I noticed some oil splatter just under my seat.. After taking a closer look I can see the engine oil running up the thread of the bolt (pointing at pic below) pass the nut and out on to my bike. Has anyone seen this before, Is it a easy fix or should I take it in. Would almost think a bit of plumbers take on thread or locktite can fix this but not sure since it gets really hot if it will last or not? Would like it fixed properly,

Any Advice would be Great

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
Was hoping someone can help me out here, I just picked up a 2015 Monster 821 with 4000kms on it so almost new.. after a few rides I noticed some oil splatter just under my seat.. After taking a closer look I can see the engine oil running up the thread of the bolt (pointing at pic below) pass the nut and out on to my bike. Has anyone seen this before, Is it a easy fix or should I take it in. Would almost think a bit of plumbers take on thread or locktite can fix this but not sure since it gets really hot if it will last or not? Would like it fixed properly,

Any Advice would be Great
That's your head bolt...I've had a similar leak when I swapped out heads...put a wrench on it and give it a little umpf....few caveats...I'm going with the assumption you've eliminated all other possibilities of where the oil is weeping from....don't put a tremendous amount of force into that stud... doubtful you have the wrench and can actually torque it to spec so just tighten it to the point where you noticed it moved...if it still leaks your going to need a new gasket...do not try tightening it twice...your likely to warp/break something

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my first thought which I tried was to give it a little extra umpf since I figured maybe the nut just came loose over time but that still didn't solve the issue... yeah its the only place where it oil is coming from as I can physically see it coming out as I rev the engine.

Thanks

Bigjdoberman

·
Registered
770 Posts
yeah my first thought which I tried was to give it a little extra umpf since I figured maybe the nut just came loose over time but that still didn't solve the issue... yeah its the only place where it oil is coming from as I can physically see it coming out as I rev the engine.

Thanks

Bigjdoberman
It does go against better judgement...but that leak didn't just start...it was under torqued or flawed from the beginning...there might be something between the mating surfaces...it's likely a 400.00 dealer fix.. so put a wrench on it...bang it with a hammer...don't move it more than 1/16th rotation...if that doesn't work...your going to need to remove it and investigate

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Thanks for the reply, Im going to actually get the dealership were I bought it from to try to cover the cost since I have only rode it less then 250kms since I bought it from them. I figured if there was a easy fix it would prevent me from taking it back to them.

Bigjdoberman

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
No one else has mentioned it, but I swear I see a wet trail coming down from the large round white thing.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Also , did anyone mention a torque wrench for that nut ? If you own one, now would be the time to use it. Do them all, not just one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the stain you are seeing on the white part is just the oil from the (original bolt I pointed at) spilling upwards, it splashed around while I was driving pretty good. I do own a torque wrench just will investigate to see what they should be set at.

Bigjdoberman

·
Super Moderator
5,456 Posts
I would bet the oil is getting past the the semicircular end cap and pooling at the bolt. I would clean the area really well and watch the seam closely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, I did figure out the problem it was that the dealership who did a oil change on my bike before I purchased it had put almost a liter too much oil in my bike... so I drained the access and never experienced the problem again.

Bigjdoberman

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happy to hear your issue is solved!

About a year ago I picked up my M821 from the dealer after its the 600 mile break-in service and they completely overfilled it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts