Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was checking the tyre pressures and wheeled the ST3 back to get access to the valve. But I failed to click the sidestand back properly and when I let go she fell over.
Blast and damn!!! The left side mirror fell apart and I got a minor scratch on the lower fairing and the left pannier.
The handlebars must have gone into my leg as I tried to save it and I am still hobbling about with a caulked thigh muscle.
But i was impressed by the mirror design as the spring went sproing, never to be found in the grass, but nothing was actually broken.
I had to remove the other side to measure the length of spring and promptly ordered a new set from that excellent bloke in the UK, but meanwhile I have improvised with a spring from a Peugeot bonnet catch though it isn't nearly strong enough.
O well, first drop, bugger, these bikes are not meant to be dropped ever. But it could have been much worse.
A minor initiation well learnt.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This sort of thing used to happen a lot to ST2 riders with the flicky spring loaded side stand. Remember checking my luggage on a trip to Scotland, was standing on the other side of the bike. Pulled on the dry bag straps there was a moment of realisation then the sound of the stand banging home and over she went. Luckily it fell onto the grass and the luggage took the brunt of it. Chopped the boss off that made the thing retract straight after that. Always make sure I have my leg against the seat when moving it now also. Glad the damage isn't too bad on yours. Some renovation polish such as Autoglym will probably sort out the scratches.

derky

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I received a new set of mirror springs from Mike Shannon.
I just want to say what a great bloke he is, sending them quickly and keeping an eye on the tracking until they arrived.
Cheers Mike, I've fitted the new spring on the left and now have a spare. Now I'm happy to ride again as I was reluctant with the dodgy spring I fitted straight after it happened as if that had failed I could have lost the whole mirror.
Great service!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts