Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today after a little over an hour of cruzin palomar my bad luck finally caught up to me. I passed (was let by, by the driver) a suv and was followed by an 848. After passing I accelerated into the turn then came out clean. During the next set of turns 3/4s near the top I lost all power and the RPM dropped to 0. During the straight the 848 passed me and told me I was leaking oil. I already had the clutch in so i coasted to a safe(er) clear spot and stopped. Upon dismount I discovered to my horror that I was pretty much boned.

fast forward a few hours and this is where I'm at now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres a few more

So all hope has been dashed. I'd hoped it was just the L.S. cover but a small 1.5" long section has been removed from the engine case. So i guess its trash as far as I know cast aluminum cannot be welded. If any one has or knows of any on the stuff I require for sale shoot me a message. I guess the VFR is for sale now... :(

-Chris

·
Registered
511 Posts
It can be welded. Find a high quality welding shop. The hard part is getting all the oil out of the area around where it needs to be welded. But it CAN be done. If nobody wants to try welding it in your area, I've got some guys that can probably do it. PM me if you need to. You should take everything off of the case that needs welding.

Robert

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out some motorcycle bone yards for that piece. I would NOT screw around getting it welded. Good Luck putting it back together.

BTW how many miles on the chain?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corndog - I am gonna search around for awhile and see if I can find a reputable welder that can do cast iron. Worst that can happen is I'll get stuck somewhere (again).

916-Through text and phone calls it seems that Ducati installed it ( I bought the bike 1 month ago) about a year ago. There has been less than 2K on the chain total. The previous owner didnt really ride the bike. Had possession for less than 5mo. Owner b4 that used it to commute.

Does anyone know if the two case halves are machined together? In case I can get L.S. from someone who has crashed the right maybe.

-Chris.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Serves as an example to justify installing one of LT Snyder's case protectors.

I second that on not welding, that damage is narly and could turn out looking like a botched face lift. Fortunately, no part of your limbs were in the way of that chain saw when it let loose. This is why I cringe when I see a local guy hammer his 1098 with only short socks and tennis shoes on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chain is a 525. i just discovered the case protector. That 30 dollar insurance is pretty much the best idea ever! I advise EVERYONE to to pick one up regardless if you think you need one or not. This could have potentially saved me what looks like its gonna cost me a fair bit. So my new to me Duc is now an expensive paperwieght.

-Chris

·
Registered
923 Posts
what bike? how old was the chain?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I only found one, but have to also buy the sprocket cover from him too...

http://www.desmotimes.com/product70.htm
I got mine from a UK ebay seller 'moley1940' who makes them from Stainless Steel so they don't rust. Doesn't have anything for sale at the moment though but worth keeping an eye on or contacting.

I've not had to 'use' mine but after seeing XcesiveSlyd's pics I'm glad I've got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Me too...Just ordered one...

Best $39 I'll ever spend...

...well, except that one time in Vegas ;)

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
So today after a little over an hour of cruzin palomar my bad luck finally caught up to me. I passed (was let by, by the driver) a suv and was followed by an 848. After passing I accelerated into the turn then came out clean. During the next set of turns 3/4s near the top I lost all power and the RPM dropped to 0. During the straight the 848 passed me and told me I was leaking oil. I already had the clutch in so i coasted to a safe(er) clear spot and stopped. Upon dismount I discovered to my horror that I was pretty much boned.
Did your chain have a master link or was it riveted? What brand of chain, if you know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
XcesivesSlyd,

"Sorry for your loss". Hope you are okay from the ordeal. Looks like Gotham Cycles has a deep sump 999 case for sale right now. You might want to call them to see if they have a more suitable option if you haven't already.

As with others, I'd be interested on the details surrounding this breakage; chain type and size, sprocket combination, age, master link style/type.

Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As long as your foot/leg is fine then everything is relatively ok. Sorry for the damage anyway. Gona to ask the guy who is rebuilding my engine to install that safety device also.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts