Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my GT1000 had a bunch of work done to it such as a new rectifier and new timing belt tensioners and bearings/pulleys

the issue now is that the starter is whining and turning slowly and drains the battery very fast

any idea what the issue is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You cannot know until remove it and take it apart and give it a good clean. My guess is it needs a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
546 Posts
my GT1000 had a bunch of work done to it such as a new rectifier and new timing belt tensioners and bearings/pulleys

the issue now is that the starter is whining and turning slowly and drains the battery very fast

any idea what the issue is?
I don't think the starter motor itself would make a whining sound.

But the sprag does - when it is starting to bind.

The added friction of the binding sprag causes excess current draw in the starter motor.

The motor has more work to do and so it draws more current.

Most batteries are not "sized" amp-hour-wise for this added load.

They are not able to deliver the high current draw and so the motor turns slowly and the battery is drawn down.

Also, as the starter motor turns, carbon builds up on the commutator and increases the current draw.

Hope This Helps.

M./

Attachments

Reactions: wmfleet2

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I don't think the starter motor itself would make a whining sound.

But the sprag does - when it is starting to bind.

The added friction of the binding sprag causes excess current draw in the starter motor.

The motor has more work to do and so it draws more current.

Most batteries are not "sized" amp-hour-wise for this added load.

They are not able to deliver the high current draw and so the motor turns slowly and the battery is drawn down.

Also, as the starter motor turns, carbon builds up on the commutator and increases the current draw.

Hope This Helps.

M./
Yep it’s all I needed... Thx guys...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Does the bike start? Was the work exactly corresponding with the problem, time wise?

·
Vendor
546 Posts
What was the cause of the slowdown and battery drain?

It would be good to know so we can advise others when they have a similar problem.

M./

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was stupidity! I don't think there is a cure for that!!

basically, I decided to install previously used CNC Racing cam covers which were removed from my 09' Sport 1000s. They have the 9.5mm tall shoulder. the ones removed from my 07' GT1000 have the 7.5mm tall shoulder. Sooo, it is a miracle my bike didn't start and thank God it didn't. there are plenty of posts about this issue and if the bike started, I could have blown something in the engine or the timing belt could have skipped. but, my mechanic heard the motor struggle and right away stopped it

I had a guy machine the CNC Racing cam covers 2mm down and we put them back in. yes, we observed and added the 1.5mm deep oil passages. the GT1000 runs like a Swiss Watch again!!

Please keep an eye out for the 2 variants of cam covers. I was under the impression that 07' and newer SC models had the 9.5mm tall shoulder but it seems that this isn't the case

attached is the famous info from NCR

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts