Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I hope you are all doing well. I have a 2016 MS 1200 with about 6400 miles. I recently had the bike acting up on a couple of occasions in the last week or so not cranking until after 4 or 5 tries. The battery is fine and charged and since I live in L.A the cold weather is unlikely the issue. I did an oil change a couple of hundreds miles ago. Could the filter be responsible? I don't ride in dirt, just L.A....Ok not the cleanest city but not dirt..:smile2:

Any feed back on that would be very welcome.....I hope you enjoy your rides..

Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Which is it?

"not cranking"

When you push the start switch it causes a high current switch (relay) to actuate, which in turn allows a high current to flow from the battery to the starter motor.

If the starter works, but not every time you push the start button, the problem is usually a faulty starter relay.

"slow cranking" - from the title of your question.

Slow cranking is often the result of a discharged battery or a loose or corroded connection of the wiring between the battery and starter motor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It’s not just thicker, but also better, more copper etc. It really works, I just can’t post a video with a one to one comparison. My ipad does not show my video’s when I want to add something. But it does work!

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I just had a look at their website. Is there more to this product than just replacing the wiring with thicker gauge wires?
I also checked the site and it's a lot of $$$ for assorted lengths of wire... but I also thought about how much screwing around it would take for me to do it myself - and ordered a set (my 15 is cranking slowly even when the battery isn't dead... slow enough to make it hard to start).

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've always thought my 2016 MTS 1200 cranked slow as well. Half the time I don't think it's going to start the bike and leave me stranded...but it always seems to fire.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I've always thought my 2016 MTS 1200 cranked slow as well. Half the time I don't think it's going to start the bike and leave me stranded...but it always seems to fire.
Mine was that way but so far this year it's been grumpy about starting when it's sat for a day or two... it'll crank over and won't start, then I put a booster on it and it'll crank over JUST A BIT FASTER and start right away (or if I give it a little throttle, that will get it to fire too).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine was that way but so far this year it's been grumpy about starting when it's sat for a day or two... it'll crank over and won't start, then I put a booster on it and it'll crank over JUST A BIT FASTER and start right away (or if I give it a little throttle, that will get it to fire too).
Same with my 2016 MTS. Slow but starts, I don't ride every day so I put the tender on when I park. Let us know how the wires work for the price I would change if they work.

·
Registered
372 Posts

After a map update from Ducati today, showing a code notifying some kind of change, it started and held idle with the engine cold (10- in Winnipeg today). Possible permanent improvement? Time will tell...

·
Registered
503 Posts
My '10 was getting a bit slow. I made sure the ground was tight on both ends (it was), then I decided to get a new battery. WOW! I went with a lithium and the difference was astounding. This one has 90 more cold cranking amps than the Yuasa that came out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Scrambler and Monster 821 both barely turn over. It sounds like a low battery that is barely providing enough juice to get the starter motor to move at all. I want to say that once the bike has been ridden around and warmed up it cranks faster and starts up much more quickly but I'll have to test that when the rain stops. But since the bike always comes fresh off the battery tender which is green and indicating a full charge I have no idea why it would crank quicker after running. Maybe less resistance in a warmed up engine?

I have heard this is normal for Ducati so I just ignore it.

NC

·
Registered
407 Posts
+1 for Motoelectric

My 2010 1200S took 8 to 10 seconds of slow, painful cranking to start when I got it. Going to the Motoelectric cut that to 3-4 seconds! It sounds like the starter has twice the torque. The wiring is massive, much thicker than stock and pure copper connectors. They claim (and I believe) that this will make your starter and battery last much longer- makes perfect sense since both are working half as hard. I am at 8 years and 27,000 miles, zero starting/electrical issues, on my second battery. WELL worth it IMHO.

Dave

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
65 Posts
The battery being fully charged and the batteries cranking ability are two different things. As batteries age they may still have the ability to take a (full) charge but there ability to produce maximum amperage for cranking diminishes with age ie slow cranking. All engines crank slower cold than hot but on a Ducati or other big twin it more noticeable since they don't crank very fast even when new.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Motolectric Starting upgrades for motorcycles sels better cables. I installed them on my 2015 dvt and it massivly improved the starting/cranking speed.
I installed these on my 2016 DVT PP and it made not one difference whatsoever. I also e-mailed them and went back forth a bit, but ultimately nothing came of it. Their instructions are also for pre-DVT and it is MUCH simpler to do on the DVT models. You only have to take off one side fairing to remove the canister so you can route the cable to the starter motor properly. Ultimately I think I am going to just have to get a new battery as full charge or not, it takes a minimum of four full cranks before it starts and generally fires on crank five or six.

When I start it on a warmed motor though, it fires pretty much on the second crank every time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
it takes a minimum of four full cranks before it starts and generally fires on crank five or six.

When I start it on a warmed motor though, it fires pretty much on the second crank every time.
Is this a full, overnight cold soak, and what temps? What vis oil are you using? A 15wXX oil will be pretty firm at say under 30/40 dergrees F. If this is the case, you might consider a lighter weight cold rated viscosity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I took my 2016 into the dealer for first service I asked about the slow cranking. Service manager said, yeah, all Ducati's are like that. I've been in storage for the winter on a battery tender. It will be interesting to see what happens when I try starting it after sitting for 4 months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this a full, overnight cold soak, and what temps? What vis oil are you using? A 15wXX oil will be pretty firm at say under 30/40 dergrees F. If this is the case, you might consider a lighter weight cold rated viscosity.
Anytime; full overnight, a week or more without starting, does not matter as the result is always the same. I have not changed the oil myself yet as it was still under warranty, so whatever Ducati uses factory which I believe is 15w50. As for temps, this makes no difference either and can be anywhere from low 30-90F.

The interesting thing as that after winter hibernation, that very first start is pretty much the way literally every non-Ducati bike I have ever started starts lol; right on the second or rare third crank. Logic would tell you maybe that is because I left it on a tender over the winter, but I have tried that too and the voltage is always perfect (went through all that with Motolectric too). I honestly think it is just because of the battery and I will find out this spring (if we ever friggin' get one!) as I am going to change out the battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts