Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ECU on my 2000 996 is very slow. By that I mean the time lag between turning on the ignition to when the starter will engage and the fuel pump comes on is any where between 40 seconds and a minute.
This is the second ECU as I F%$Ked up the 1st by turning the trim pot past it's limit.
I replaced both management relays but nothing changed. The engine eventually starts and it runs just fine. But the time lag is very annoying. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i'd doubt very much it has anything to do with the ecu, but who knows.

does the ecu get power as soon as the key is switched on? check at the big connector.

if the pump will run for the 3 seconds or so a minute after the key is on then that's when the ecu is turning on. the first thing the ecu does in the power on process is run the pump for the preset time.

do you have all other electrical power before that? the ecu has nothing to do with the starter at all.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,191 Posts
There are 3 relays, the two under the seat and the main yellow relay near the battery, my money is on the yellow one.
Also check the two fuses under the seat for corrosion.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As long as you don't have a Diesel engine- the delay is obviously wrong.

I just spent two days trouble shooting a bad eprom and can confirm that all three relays (the yellow one by the battery and the two under the seat) should latch within a second - in following order, yellow and then the two by the seat.

Regardless if you hear a click, i would bench test all three relays for function.

If they work fine, I would swap the eprom.

In my case, all three relays were fully functional but the two seat relays did not turn on.

A eprom swap fixed the problem in 60sec.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Answer BradBlack question 1st. If ok, look for impedance on the ECU ground. It's either a marginal ECU connector, a lazy relay or an EPROM that's got a poor connection or is starting to fail. If the ECU is powered at key switch and grounded, try resetting the chip.
I accept BB comment that there is no ECU connection with starting which creates a sort of conundrum. I could be wrong but I think a kickstand switch may prevent the starter and a kill circuit may prevent running, but neither both, which you report(indirectly with the fuel pump). So, a marginal connection would not explain your problem. Following the logic of no starter connection to the ECU, would make it a connector or master relay problem. So, if you do get power at the ECU, you may have 2 problems, making it harder to diagnose. Statistically unlikely but it does happen. Especially if you pressure wash or soap up your bike with one of those damn wands.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some background info:
This is a track bike, no head light, signals or horn
The key has been replaced with a toggle switch
when I turn on the power (toggle switch on) there is silence, no fuel pump no starter motor.
Wait 30-60 seconds then I can hear the pump and then the starter will turnover
This did not happen with the old ECU.
The problem began with the new ECU... so I assumed that was the faulty part.
The only thing I did was transfer the Eprom from the old ECU to the newer ECU.

I will recheck the connector from the harness to the ECU

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the power switch is on the green neutral and red oil lights both come on.
No side stand and the side stand switch has a bypass installed.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the red and green lights come on instantly when the power is turned on?

but at that point if you press the starter button you get nothing?

i'd be looking for a slow relay between the power on and the rest of it. what happens at the fuse box power wise?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brad
I appreciate all of your help but I am going away for a week and won't be able to check the problem until I return.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone

regards
Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts