Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took off all of the lower fairing bits in preparation for the installation of a Termi full system, and as so many of you know from personal experience, I had to remove the center stand in order to remove the belly pan, because the center stand interferes with access to the rearmost fastners for the belly pan.

I decided to modify the belly pan so that I will never again need to remove the center stand in order to remove the pan. It's a very simple proedure--I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, but a hacksaw would work just as well. Then I cleaned things up with a file and finished with a fine grit sandpaper to make sure that nothing would tear the grommets.

The two aft bolts are now locktited in place with their grommets. To remove the pan, I undo the two forward fasteners, tilt it down about 20 degrees, and pull forward. It then pops right off. To install, reverse the order. Note that it can be helpful to place a bit of silicone lube (or even WD40, though I think the rubber grommet will like the silicone much better) on the slot so that it does not grab on the grommet as you slide it in place.

The fit is just as solid as it was before, but now removing the pan is a 1 minute job.

Photos are below. Now off to the powder coater to get the stuff shot satin black.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good! I think I may try that I'm getting tired of taking off the center stand.
Thanks! It really is a very easy and straightforward mod that serves to make the bike substantially easier to perform routine maintenance on.

Given the bolt in the center of the pan that ties it to the bottom of the motor, there is almost no load on the rear mounting points. As such, there is no concern about strength with the slots opened up. Those mount points are doing nothing more than locating the rear of the pan, and they still serve that purpose as effectively as before.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great idea! I just wanted to clarify- the slots slide into the grommets, so the bolts holding the centerstand don't have to be loosened to remove the bellypan? Did you torque the bolts to the same spec as before? What locktite did you use (blue or red?)

Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good to also drill a few holes in the bottom of the belly pan to drain any oil you spill when doing a filter change. Otherwise you get a puddle you don't notice until you ride off and wonder why the belly pan is seeping used oil

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Just don't drill up thru into the engine case!!!:mad::D
That is just too simple of an Idea ,I'm going to check it out!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea! I just wanted to clarify- the slots slide into the grommets, so the bolts holding the centerstand don't have to be loosened to remove the bellypan? Did you torque the bolts to the same spec as before? What locktite did you use (blue or red?)

Dave
Thanks Dave.

Yes, the slots on the pan slide into the slots in the grommets, and thus the center stand no longer needs to come off to remove the pan.

As to the bolts on which the grommets sit, they have a stepped shoulder, so they will not go in far enough to distort the grommet. I just put them in snug, with blue locktite to prevent them from backing out. I'll note that even of they did loosen, they could not back out very far as they would run into the center stand.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also did it. Fantastic idea. I used copper grease as the nice smooth slide in medium. Thanks for the idea and cudos to your creativity.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Resurrecting a thread from beyond the grave....I'm getting ready for a multi-week trip during which I'll probably need to do an oil change, and I'm thinking about performing this mod before I leave. I discovered what a PITA it was dealing with the pan and centerstand while in a parking lot on a Sunday afternoon in SLC. "This should be quick, and then I'm on to Denver....wait, what?!" Just curious to get feedback from anyone who's done this and lived with it for a while. Any issues?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Resurrecting a thread from beyond the grave....I'm getting ready for a multi-week trip during which I'll probably need to do an oil change, and I'm thinking about performing this mod before I leave. I discovered what a PITA it was dealing with the pan and centerstand while in a parking lot on a Sunday afternoon in SLC. "This should be quick, and then I'm on to Denver....wait, what?!" Just curious to get feedback from anyone who's done this and lived with it for a while. Any issues?
None whatsoever. Pan comes off with zero hassles. Unbelievable it doesn't come from the factory this way- I guess "Ducati" and "centerstand" just can't be together in the Ducatista brain...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm planning on doing this. It's not obvious from pictures, but there's simply no way the pan could come loose by doing this because of the orientation of the front screw. If Ducati pays any attention to forums, they'll start doing it this way from the factory.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice idea... I just used lock wire instead of the bolts to hold it in place. It's a snug fit, so seemed fine. I think I like this idea better though. Next oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Old thread, but I thought useful for new folks with these problems. I just did the belly pan mod with a Dremel and some touch up paint. Not as pretty as the original poster, but serviceable. Now I can change the oil using the center-stand!

Also for those with the center-stand hitting the back of their foot, I did the mod below while the center-stand was off the bike. I had a buddy weld it up- he said it took fifteen minutes and was easy! I'm sure any muffler shop could do it for cheap. Some folks have trouble getting the center stand off due to lots of red Loctite (key is to heat the bolts either with a ride or a torch), mine had none but will re-install with blue.

Motorcycle Info Pages - MTS1200 DIY Mods > MTS1200 Centre Stand Fix

·
Registered
581 Posts
I used a pair of tinsnips , although the belly pan is heavy gauge , it cuts easily as it's aluminum . No dealer fix was ever issued for this common but simple to overcome problem .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts