Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slipper Advice - Revisited

For my imminent winter boredom, I am going to get a slipper clutch for my 1198 that only does track duty. I looked at the threads and it looks like either the STM SBK or the Surflex. Let me know if I'm missing something here.

If money is not a real issue, should I spring for the STM, or is Surflex as good?

Total noob question: what are the differences with respect to number of tooth and degree re: ramp? What does that even mean?

Do I really need a new basket?

Keep the OEM plates or get new ones?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Don't forget about the EVR. It is my understanding that the fellow that came up with the original idea for the slipper split off from STM. He says that he took the slipper to the next level with the EVR. That is mostly why I selected his.

I'm not sure about the engineering, but as I remember, EVR claims that there is less wear to the clutch because there are fewer moving parts. They say it is a completely different mechanism.

All that I know is that it has worked great on my 999 on the track. Downshift worries have been disbarred and/or thrown out of court. :p

Also, check out what some of the WERA guys are saying about various slippers (there seems to be a war over there concerning the YOYO slipper).

·
Registered
463 Posts
This has been driving me crazy as well. I can get the 48 tooth STM Evo for 1K shipped to my door with clutch plates. I have read that the STM eats plates though.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'm using the SURFLEX Slipper Clutch w/ Plates: 1098,1198,SF on our 1098 project bike. It has the easiest clutch pull of all the slipper clutches that I have tried. Their drop in kit uses the stock aluminum basket to save you money. It somes with new plates so you start off new with the perfect set-up, but you can use your OEM stock plates when it is time to replace.

We are using the Corse 4 Spring Slipper Clutch w/ Surflex Plates on our Streetfighter project. Like the Surflex, it does not kick back at the lever when downshifting. It has a smooth and easy clutch pull (but not as easy as the Surflex). It is the lightest slipper on the market.

-M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts