Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise. 749 with 5k on the clock. The bike pulls good in first but drops out of second as soon as you release the clutch. If you double shift to third it stays in gear. I pulled the alternator cover to inspect shifter linkage and forks. I don’t see anything broken or loose.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
The wear to the forks and dogs and such can be subtle and hard to see, but still causes the problem, and needs replacement bits. Expensive bits, in technical terms. :crying:

Hope I am wrong and it just needs adjusting.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
if the shift linkage is centred and the detent on the rh side ok then you can't do any more there. you'll need to strip and split and check the forks and dogs.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
behind the primary drive cover on the rh side of the engine there is a sprung lever with a roller on the end that runs on the end of the shift drum and this is the detent system for holding the shift drum in an "in gear" position. it used to be the sprung ball you can see on the lh end of the shift drum, but that is now neutral only.

i measure how far the lever moves either side of the "returned to centre" position when in gear. there is a little tool you can use for alignment, but it is not relative to any of the pins. shift it into a gear, let go of the lever, then push the lever up and down either side of the centre position and if the movement each way is the same, that's good. i draw a texta mark on the foot of the link that almost rubs on the case in front of the drum and mark the extent of travel in either direction on the case, then measure it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info belter. I think I need a service manual & a bottle of wine to continue. Not much experience with the trans on these bikes. I appreciate the response!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts