Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that STM and Yoyodyne make a slipper clutch for the wet clutch SC's, does anyone have one installed? If so what's the verdict, pros/cons is it worth the investment? Just started thinking about it and would like some feedback.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It's a nice piece of bling - I use both STM and Yoyodyne on various bikes and they are both great - but really if you are not riding on the track I don't see the point. I know people that won't ride without them anywhere, but they are not necessary for a street bike IMO.

Maybe I should say that when I ride on the street I'm riding WAY within my limits. I know some guys are winning races on the street and yeah a slipper may come in handy for them, but they shouldn't be riding like that on the street anyway... again IMO.

A track bike is another story though as they definitely help corner entry speed... not something that matters on the street.

Having said that there are a lot of very fast guys that don't use them on the track either. I'm not in the very fast group... but I do poke around at an okay speed on my Triumph and I don't have one for that bike - never seem to really need it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have the STM version for the 848, smooths out the downshifts like on my other slippers. Still has that slight clutch lever kick when working. Not hard to install.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a slipper on all my other bikes so I wanted a slipper clutch on my SC1000 as well. I almost crashed last year because the rear wheel on my SC locked up after a too rapid downshift. Slipper clutches allow you to select the right gear without upsetting the bike. In my books that's a good thing anywhere.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I just picked up one of the STM Evolutione Limited Edition anniversary models. I comes with the clutch, slave cylinder, and an oil filler plug all in nickel finish. As soon as it arrives, I'll post up riding impressions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's great for the track, I love it. I can't see it being practical on my street bike though. I think you have to push pretty hard on the street to make it worth while.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
A slipper clutch is nice to have if you ride up in the hills--not a necessity-- but they can come in handy on some turns. They are very useful on a track--but still not a necessity. They will help you get around the with less drama .

-M

·
Registered
249 Posts
So does anyone have any riding impressions ontheir slipper clutch equipped bike? I do ride my bike on the track and there have been definitive times that a slipper clutch would have come in handy. :eek: Anyone with additional comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
204 Posts
So does anyone have any riding impressions ontheir slipper clutch equipped bike? I do ride my bike on the track and there have been definitive times that a slipper clutch would have come in handy. :eek: Anyone with additional comments or suggestions?
I recently had a DP slipper fitted and have to say it's great for track use...I dropped my bike 3 times last year at my local track's hairpin (all at less low speed) after getting out of shape in the way in, now its much smoother and I have far more confidence (and it feels liek time) for gear selection without the worry of instability. It felt strange at first but I now love it.

I am also finding it more fun on country roads as well, you can really bang it down the gears without any worries and get great drive out of corners....My whole setup seems to work and give much more confidence over last season...14T front sprocket, lightened flywheel, slipper and ST forks.:)

Just do it..the way I seen it,was that if I didn't like it they sell really esily second hand..and if I change Duc it'll come with me!

R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts