Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slipper Clutch, standard plates or sintered plates? which is best for street use

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think that the stock clutch pack contains sintered plates. Barnett offers kevlar plates and I think someone else offers CF plates. Not sure if they are superior to the stock sintered plates or not.

What clutch are you planning on getting? With clutches that use a 48 or 44T basket, you may not have much of a choice since you will have to use the plates that come with the kit.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I use sintered in my 999R, kevlar in the SS and ST2 (all with slippers). Only my 999R came with sintered, and I like they way they work with it, but the Kevlars are fine in the other bikes, 87 and 90 RWHP, respectively, same ballpark as the HM.

BTW, sintered are heavier, but slightly quieter.

Tom

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Barnetts!

I had the stock sintered plates up until 8,500mi, used in both my stock & DP Corsa slipper clutches, I replaced the sintered plates with the Barnetts, to me works better than stock, smoother take-off & less grabby, but the best features of the Barnett is the cost of the clutch pack, (I paid $150 for mine on Ebay) and the noise! which is now about 40% quieter!:) the clutch material has the ability to "dampen" some of the noise. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the DP slipper, using the standard clutch (are the standard sintered?) plates that were on the bike from new, I have a new set of sintered plates in a box on the shelf, wondered if there was any real advantage for street use, thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have the DP slipper, using the standard clutch (are the standard sintered?) plates that were on the bike from new, I have a new set of sintered plates in a box on the shelf, wondered if there was any real advantage for street use, thoughts appreciated
Stock plates are sintered. I do like the Barnetts better now that I'v tried them, but the sintered ones are fine for the street or track. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
are you saying that part number 964060AAA, is standard fitment?
No, just saying that the stock plates are sintered, the DP plates are a higher performance version, but will work fine in a stock or slipper clutch. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Higher performance, in what respect?
Not sure, I'm just guessing, different better friction materials, takes heat better, longer lasting, maybe lighter?

I'v never had one in my hand, compare the DP clutch to your stock one, what do you see? tell us. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
426 Posts
Do you guys actually notice the slipper on the streets? At Easter Creek (the local track) i have only had compression lock on one corner, though pretty frequently. And had it once or twice while riding on the streets.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Do you guys actually notice the slipper on the streets? At Easter Creek (the local track) i have only had compression lock on one corner, though pretty frequently. And had it once or twice while riding on the streets.
Not really on the streets, but in the Canyons & on the Tracks, its a nice gadget to have. Aloha Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts