Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 996 w/7400 miles on it. Late in the discussion process the owner told me he installed a slipper clutch.

I've since purchased it and now when riding, I get a sorta "grind" or "hard rubbing" sound when launching in first gear (after being out for around 20 mins or so). Is this characteristic, or is there something I should check out. Has the stock clutch cover on it..

thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
This can be caused by incorrect stack height and plates put in in the wrong order. Some also simply do this a bit when hot.

What brand of slipper? Those with your same clutch may have suggestions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an STM. Black pressure plate says classic on it..... i thought it might be heat. I'm in central FL. I took the cover off. Might just leave it that way until I get a new open cover.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I get this also. How worn are the plates and the basket? I think it's because the basket is getting worn and the plates have a hard time moving in and out in the basket.

I clean the plates regularly, it helps a bit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clutch only has about 1400 miles on it. Not sure if original plates were used...I did the "free" mod by taking the brass fittings out of the cover gasket to help vent it more. We'll see if that keeps the heat down...

Also, with it being a slipper, can I install a new pressure plate and springs like one would do with the stock clutch? Or is the slipper specific to it's pressure plate... I'm still learning about the clutch workings...

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Pressure Plate is slipper specific, which sucks, but part of the game you play when you own a slipper. I personally love my Yoyodyne slipper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what clutch plate packs are compatible? I was thinking the Surflex... My plates look like they've seen better days.....

And just out of curiosity, if I were to sell the slipper, what do you think I could get out of it? Used with 1500 miles...

·
Registered
797 Posts
If your plates are looking like they have seen better days, most likely the basket and inner hubs look used also and that decreases value, as once small grooves start to form people shy away from used slippers. That being the case, if you were trying sell this complete assembly you may be lucky to get $400.00 for everything.

But yes, surflex are great, I use their Frictions and metals in my Motowheels slipper.

Motowheels also sells the Surflex plates, and are fast with their shipping.

Cheers,
Mark

So what clutch plate packs are compatible? I was thinking the Surflex... My plates look like they've seen better days.....

And just out of curiosity, if I were to sell the slipper, what do you think I could get out of it? Used with 1500 miles...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did the sound go away with the cover off? Did you notice if the inside of the cover showed any wear or contact? If it did, this may support the incorrect stack height as suggested above.

Hope you find the solution. The STM slipper is a nice part.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shuffeled the plates to a "Friction plate in first" configuration, and that remedied my original problem... but now I just have a screeeech upon launch. When I had the plates out for inspection the frictions were worn pretty good. I don't seem to have any severe slipping though

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
First off pull your clutch pack out. Look inside the basket and see if it has a steel back plate riveted or screwed on at the inside. If so a friction is first in. I have had noisy groaning clutch slipper syndrome in the past as well. 2 things will fix this. 1. If you take the clutch pack out and use airasol brake cleaner to clean the frictions and lightly sand then to remove any clutch material and glazed spots. You should see a consistent silver color to the steels. Re-install in proper order, and check for proper stack thickness (consult slipper manuf for this). That should work for a while. If after a short time (like a week or so) it comes back, 2. replace with a new clutch pack.

I had a bevel plate (anti-chatter) flatten out due to heat I suppose in the old clutch that caused this problem. I know this because we pressed it into a wave shape and the noises went away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts