Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the KBike slippers? They seem reasonably priced via Black Label Meccanica compared to Ducabike and others but there's not a ton of recent info on them in the forum. Also interested in experience with adjustable vs non-adjustable models (i.e. spider or no spider?). Don't care as much about ease of install since it's a one time cost.

I do mostly moderate canyon riding and B level track days so my assumption is that the specific model won't matter a whole lot. Would still like some informed opinions or experience to help with making the decision.

Looking to make a decision relatively soon as I started to get heavy chatter on acceleration while at Sonoma Raceway this weekend :eek:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am running it and have been sharing my experience here for a while. Definitely a great product and when purchased through Black Label (also been sharing them as the best deal I can find) you can't really go wrong. I originally went with the spider spring non adjustable slipper but later bought the adjustable upgrade. I found that the spider spring didn't give me enough engine braking. It was smooth and predictable before (it still is) I just wanted more engine braking. I have about 3k miles on it. I have had to swap a steel plate for a slightly thicker plate to get back in spec after about 2k of riding but there is plenty of meat still on the friction plates. The basket and the hub have very little indent/wear marks at this point. The design is the typical ball on ramp slipper design used my most clutch companies. Almost identical to the DP slipper clutch as well as many others.
I went from a wet slipper assembly to a dry slipper conversion. The original wet Adler slipper that came in the bike was a ramp on ramp design . It was set tighter and the wheel would lock up all the time if banging a gear into a turn. It didn't want to do it's slip function . I'm assuming it was either due to the spring stiffness or the ramp on ramp friction.
I'm happy with it. I'm happy with the conversion as well. If I were to do it all over again I would stay with the wet clutch and get a better aftermarket wet slipper (kbike has them as well . Probably what I would get) only due to the less maintenance. But the bike is a hooligan bike ment to be loud and in your face so it's very fitting.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@araitim this is really great info, thank you! Going through some of your recent comments and it turns out much of what I had seen on here about this clutch was also from you. I found it helpful even if some others didn't :rolleyes:. I also did the 520 conversion + 14t front recently. Dropped ~1.3lbs of rotating mass, what a difference!

I found that the spider spring didn't give me enough engine braking. It was smooth and predictable before (it still is) I just wanted more engine braking. I have about 3k miles on it. I have had to swap a steel plate for a slightly thick
Want to make sure I understand this correctly as I've never used one of these. When the clutch slips you lose your engine braking capability since the rear rolls freely. You are saying that the stock setting was too conservative and slipped before the limit of the tire? Is the slipping something you can hear / feel or do you have understand the limits of the bike to know when it engages? It seems like you would want to adjust this so that you get just a bit of chatter on your most aggressive braking scenarios to maximize engine braking capabilities.

Am I understanding this correctly?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thank you.

You are understanding that correctly. As far as the OEM wet slipper, it took a big jolt to get the slipping(think going from 6th to 2nd). At that point it would let go. You would get skidding of the tire . With the dry spider spring you could ride around town and just let off of the throttle and you had decent engine braking but if you were to drop gears it would ramp up and slip almost immediately without any engine braking. With the adjustable set up and 3 stiff springs and 3 heavy springs it is a happy medium. You drop from say 6th to 4th and you will get a good amount of engine braking while still maintaining grip(minimum wheel hop). The spider spring style allowed for zero wheel hop. The whole actuation of the ball on ramp design was far smoother and more predictable. You didn't need to make super drastic gear changes to get it to work. But.....some like needing to do the drastic things to get it to function . This is just what works for me. I ride the bike daily as my primary form of transportation. Strait to work most days (3 miles) and 30+ fun/exciting miles home. I am nearing 24,000 miles on my hyper now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts