Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a slipper clutch for my 748, but before I spend that kind of money I'd like to see if someone can clarify exactly what the benefit is. So far the only info on them I can find is "Eliminates wheel hop when downshifting at high speeds". That doesn't really help explain things. Will I have to drastically change my riding habits? Are they beneficial for use on the street? Does it eliminate engine braking which I figure would make me have to use the brake harder, and change pads more often. I do plan on making alot of trackdays with this bike.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you have ever downshifted while coming in hot to a corner, the wheel hops in the back, and it can cause problems. The slipper "slips" so the wheel does not hop. You will not have to change riding habits. And actually it will allow you to focus on riding hard without worrying about the wheel jumping around getting you out of whack. It is ok for the street, and almost a must for the track on Ducati's. It does not affect engine braking to any noticeable amount. Brakes will not be used anymore than they will be already if you are at the track. The slipping affect works more when you are really pushing it and braking hard and downshifting coming to a corner, so it will be less noticed on the street as far as being engaged.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
If you have ever downshifted while coming in hot to a corner, the wheel hops in the back, and it can cause problems. The slipper "slips" so the wheel does not hop. You will not have to change riding habits. And actually it will allow you to focus on riding hard without worrying about the wheel jumping around getting you out of whack. It is ok for the street, and almost a must for the track on Ducati's. It does not affect engine braking to any noticeable amount. Brakes will not be used anymore than they will be already if you are at the track. The slipping affect works more when you are really pushing it and braking hard and downshifting coming to a corner, so it will be less noticed on the street as far as being engaged.
+1

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you still need to blip the revs while you downshift with a slipper?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Do you still need to blip the revs while you downshift with a slipper?
No, you just dump the clutch - that's the nice feature of a slipper, you just drop gears one after another without having to blip or worry about matching revs. IMO, it's a huge safety advantage on the track, but not very important for a street bike.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Or don't even use the clutch! LOL :rolleyes:
Tell us how great an idea that is after you chew up your transmission and have to drop the engine and split the cases to fix it - meanwhile being unable to race. ;) Been there, done that, several times. Be nice to your tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts