Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike is a 03 999

A few weeks ago, I had the slipper clutch spider spring give out the ghost. To buy some time I got the dealer to install the stock unit back in but it is not working very well. The new plates are very grabby, making the take off very difficult to control. I am using new barnett plates. How can I get this fixed

In the mean time, I would like to get the slipper back in the bike? This is an original Ducati Slipper clutch, what spider spring would work best here, from doing some reading, I understand the stock ducati part is notorious for breaking.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
Ducati part is $125
STM part is $20
In my opinion the springs are exactly alike. I opted for the OEM one but next time I will get the STM.
Your stack height my be off on the stock clutch.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The stock clutch not working is probably setup. Most dealers don't put the time and energy into testing things before giving them back anyway... :rolleyes:

I had my first spider spring go on few weeks back, it made a mess of the clutch plates, ruined 3 of them. I'm pretty sure the Ducati performance slipper is made by Bucci and those are almost identical to what motowheels and yoyodyne have. So you can call one of those shops and get an aftermarket one. I'm not sure about the STM one, they usually don't make the conventional ball bearing style slippers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tye for your quick response. My mechanic is excellent and as been servicing my Japanese bikes for year but is new to ducatis. How can the clutch be adjusted? is there some reading online that I can pass to him?

The site you pointed out carries the springs that I was looking for. The slipper basket got damaged when the spring broke and the stock basket is almost new, less than 1000 km on it. Can I use the stock one with the slipper clutch?

thank you

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
How can the clutch be adjusted?
There is no magic adjustment. The only thing your mechanic needs to know is the final hight of the clutch stack. The trick I use is to put the stack in the bike and then attach the pressure plate. Then hold the clutch lever in and if there is roughly 1mm of gap between the disks and the plate, you're fine. Once you do it enough times, ya know what disks to use.

Surflex.....it has worked for me in the past
Surflex is pretty much the same as the bucci one..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the responses, I just placed an order for the Spider spring. One last question, will the stock basket work with the slipper clutch?

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
I looked at my spare spring in the garage and it is a yoyodine!:eek:
My bad! I typed STM and was thinking Yoyodine :rolleyes: I need to quit posting on this board when I am at work and distracted.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at my spare spring in the garage and it is a yoyodine!:eek:
My bad! I typed STM and was thinking Yoyodine :rolleyes: I need to quit posting on this board when I am at work and distracted.
thank you , I ordered 2 of the Yoyodine, in case another one breaks

·
Registered
2 Posts
bike is a 03 999

The new plates are very grabby, making the take off very difficult to control. I am using new barnett plates. How can I get this fixedbreaking.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

The reason the clutch is too grabby and hard to control is those clutch plates - Barnett plates work like crap in a slipper clutch. Buy yourself a good set of Yoyo or Surflex sintered clutch plates - they cost twice as much as the Barnett's, but are definitely worth it.

Tom
DucatiDepot

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Anyone know of a vendor that has a spider spring in stock? Just discovered mine is cracked... Odd, not sure why that happened.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just discovered mine is cracked... Odd, not sure why that happened.
It's common. Like Tye, I have had it happen also. I don't think there is a cause other than using the clutch.

Yoyodyne usually has them in stock.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's a 6-spring ball-bearing STM, standard stuff - I think all the spider springs are basically the same. The crack is across the inner circular portion, which shouldn't move or get loaded except maybe when the drum nut is tightened or loosened. Odd - it's possible it cracked a long time ago and I didn't notice, or perhaps it cracked last Fall when I took the clutch off my 996, but I'm not going to install it on my 1098 knowing it's cracked.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts