Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for a short ride a minute ago. My wife and her wing is out on the parade field for a change of command and I just couldn't resist riding up there and showing off. I figured since they had a band my Termis would go good with the sound. Kind of like rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air and the sound of a Ducati's deep growl in the background.

ANYHOW, I got done making a spectacle of myself and was on my way home, as soon as I turned on to my street I gave it some gas and it rev'd real high and went nowhere fast.

Hmm... "What the hell?" I thought to myself. I just changed the clutch last week so I know it isn't wore out yet. I'll admit, I spazzed a bit by thinking I screwed the pooch when I was out acting like an ass.

I limped her home and pulled around to the backyard. After I FINALLY found neutral, I sat there idling for a minute and looked down at the clutch. What the hell did I see? As the pressure plate was spinning it looked like it was warped. I don't mean warped a little bit, I mean it looked like King Kong got a hold of it and bent the crap out of it. I immediately turned the bike off and went inside to cry. LOL. Not really. Upon further investigation, I seen that 4 of my clutch springs had backed out causing excessive slippage.

NOT GOOD!!! Not completely bad either. I torqued them back down and went for another ride. Everything is kosher once again. :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
A dab of blue locktite on each bolt will keep that from happening again. Beware of the red locktite. The guy at fastenal just knew I needed the red and got pissy when I bought the blue despite his professional advice.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A dab of blue locktite on each bolt will keep that from happening again. Beware of the red locktite. The guy at fastenal just knew I needed the red and got pissy when I bought the blue despite his professional advice.
Good idea. I thought about it when I installed them but figured I didn't need to since they didn't have any on them when I took them out. I think I'll go ahead and do it though. I do think blue is the proper choice and red would be an overkill.

·
Registered
227 Posts
do not locktight.....those bolts are under spring pressure and are meant not to come off...you probably didn't tight them right to begin with

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
do not locktight.....those bolts are under spring pressure and are meant not to come off...you probably didn't tight them right to begin with
I take my clutch pack apart every 3k and give it a thorough cleaning and deglazing. Ive done it twice on my Multi and 5 times on the 748. Each time I have used blue locktite on the bolts. They are only a little more than hand tight anyway. No negative experience so far. What have you heard or eperienced that makes it a bad thing to do?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I torqued it to 6nm per workshop manual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is the first time I've read that its a good idea to use locktite on the bolts that hold the clutch springs. Everything else has suggested not and i think I even read somewhere to put wd40 on the threads ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
the pressure plate and bolts are supposed to work w/out locktight it is just overkilling....would you lock tight the head bolts? just put them at torque spec

·
Registered
67 Posts
I take my clutch pack apart every 3k and give it a thorough cleaning and deglazing. Ive done it twice on my Multi and 5 times on the 748. Each time I have used blue locktite on the bolts. They are only a little more than hand tight anyway. No negative experience so far. What have you heard or eperienced that makes it a bad thing to do?
I'm pretty sure whoe ever owned my 748 before me used locktite on the spring bolts. I'm not sure how long ago that was but I'm guessing sometime later stripped the bolt heads he could not budge.

The bolts were in so tight I had to dremel some flathead deep groves into them and them pound them with a impact wrench to get them free.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm pretty sure whoe ever owned my 748 before me used locktite on the spring bolts. I'm not sure how long ago that was but I'm guessing sometime later stripped the bolt heads he could not budge.

The bolts were in so tight I had to dremel some flathead deep groves into them and them pound them with a impact wrench to get them free.
I could see that happening if they used red Loctite it is for permanant bolts. I started using Locktite on my clutch bolts years ago with Husqvarna Dirt bikes and Yamaha street bikes and have not had any issues. I did not ask anyone if it was okay I just thought it was the right thing to do. I felt the bolts were not tightened enough and I stripped the threads on one of the towers on a SECA 650. Thus the hand tight with locktite as a piece of mind fix. I retract the recomendation of blue Locktite use as a bonifide fix and say use it at your own risk.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Blue Loctite on clutch spring bolts

Nice and effective recant....;)

I could see that happening if they used red Loctite it is for permanant bolts. I started using Locktite on my clutch bolts years ago with Husqvarna Dirt bikes and Yamaha street bikes and have not had any issues. I did not ask anyone if it was okay I just thought it was the right thing to do. I felt the bolts were not tightened enough and I stripped the threads on one of the towers on a SECA 650. Thus the hand tight with locktite as a piece of mind fix. I retract the recomendation of blue Locktite use as a bonifide fix and say use it at your own risk.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I've had them come loose on several bikes, first time on my SS destroying th CF cover. (and also on my ST2 and 999R)

Now I check them daily.

Those who say that they won't come loose due to the rotation are full of it.

I probably should use loctite.

Tom

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 999 manual states to put oil (Shell, of course) on these bolts.

They have a habit of tightening themselves. Thus I personally would not put a locking compound on them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had them come loose on several bikes, first time on my SS destroying th CF cover. (and also on my ST2 and 999R)

Now I check them daily.

Those who say that they won't come loose due to the rotation are full of it.

I probably should use loctite.

Tom
easy...the fact that you had bad luck doesn't make all of us who didn't full of it

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
One other point:

The retaining bolts should be first tightened in a star pattern (such as used when putting on a car wheel) and then torqued to spec.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
One other point:

The retaining bolts should be first tightened in a star pattern (such as used when putting on a car wheel) and then torqued to spec.

All each bolt does is hold a single spring down. None of the bolts are actually held fast together like a car wheel. So if tightening them down in a star pattern makes you feel better than go right ahead but I would not say it is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did. Wheels, flywheels or whatever. When there are bolts in a circle pattern, I naturally tighten them in a star pattern. Always have.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I did. Wheels, flywheels or whatever. When there are bolts in a circle pattern, I naturally tighten them in a star pattern. Always have.
I have assembled clutches with really heavy springs. The first bolt was a bitch to get started with the bolts that I had. I had to tighten the first one down substantially to get the bolts on either side of it started and then tightened them to get all the subsequent bolts started. I am not saying it was the right thing to do but the clutch worked. You had to have hulk hands to squeeze the bastard but it sure didn't slip. In all other applications to assemble components I always use the manufacturers suggested tightening pattern.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts