Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my bike in to my local dealer (where I originally purchased the bike) to get a 14t front sprocket installed. They had quite a bit to say about my Akrapovics.

First off - they told me the usual about risking my warranty by not using termi slip-ons + ecu. Mainly because of the ecu. But when I suggested getting an Ducati ecu (the one that comes with the termi slip-ons) to fit with the Akras, they said that it wouldn't match the pipes and I could still be doing damage to the motor.

Second, they said that I shouldn't replace the stock pipes until after the first service - the motor runs in better with the back pressure the restricted pipes provide.

Third, getting a termi slip-on set (with filter & ecu) from overseas would not necessarily work with local fuels (?), and I needed an ecu that is programmed for the local Oz market and the particular fuel types we use.

I accept that I am risking my warranty by using the Akrapovic slip ons without an ecu, but I wasn't expecting to be causing any mechanical problems.

I don't know enough about the engineering side of things (or motor mechanics) to make a call. Being a national Ducati dealer chain, they obviously know their stuff, and know Ducati twins inside out, but how much is sales pitch and how much is genuine?

Keen to hear your views.

JB

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Unless anyone knows otherwise, I have never seen anything to indicate that Ducati issue different ECUs/fuel-maps for the Termignoni (race-use) exhausts for different countries. Ducati specify octane ratings for use with their engines, and the Termis are tuned for that.

I bought Termi slip-ons for my 848 from the U.S. (half the price compared to Oz) and had the Sydney dealer fit them and reset the TPS......no questions asked, no problems and no warranty issues.

That line about Akra's voiding your warranty is simply the dealer covering his arse.....if something should go wrong, it would be up to you to prove the Akra's didn't adversely affect or cause the issue; you can see how they can make it difficult for you!

Whilst the motor will still work with stock fuel map and the Akras, the DP ECU has a fuel map tuned specifically for the Termi exhaust (it is tuned with regard to many parameters, including the gas flow out of that exhaust). The engine would still run with a mismatch of DP ECU/Akra, but you would not be getting the best out of the engine. A better bet would be to get a custom map (Pro-tune etc) made specifically for your bike with the Akra slip-ons.

jdw

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jdw. I am planning to get Termi slip-ons from the US - like you say - half the price. I was hoping to keep the Akras (I really like the look), but I think I'll sell them and stick with the DP Termis + ECU. It just seems to be way less hassle in the long run.

What about the run-in advice? They were pretty adamant about waiting until the first service before swapping from the stock pipes. Anyone?

·
Registered
412 Posts
What about the run-in advice? They were pretty adamant about waiting until the first service before swapping from the stock pipes. Anyone?
I've never heard that. My dealer put the Termis on before the bike was even started.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My dealer also recommended me only to change the pipes after 1000km of initial running. I am now at 400km, 600km to go....

·
Bon Vivant
11,249 Posts
There are many dealers here that install the Termi slip-on kit at or before the sale.
All of the 1098 tricolore's and 1098R's in the US had Termi full systems installed when new.
It will not hurt your bike and will not void your warranty.
But that doesn't mean that Ducati or the dealership couldn't claim that it was a warranty default.
Which means it could be a problem - check with the importer in your country (not the dealer).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sounds like typical dealer ignorance and bullshit. Trying to scare you into buying the overpriced local product.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.
Regarding run in, I will get in touch with Monza Imports (thanks flynbulldog) and post their reply here.
JB

·
Registered
66 Posts
How many posts on how many forums must contain this same "terroistic" dealer threat?? Or the "I am scared to do anyting/ how will this affect my WARRANTY".

Put a pipe on your bike. Ride your bike. Change your own oil. Add air to your tires. Take air out of your tires. Live on- and move on- you and your bike WILL BE FINE!

OLD fart racer/ sportbike guy FWIW

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many posts on how many forums must contain this same "terroistic" dealer threat?? Or the "I am scared to do anyting/ how will this affect my WARRANTY".
OLD fart racer/ sportbike guy FWIW
Now I'm scared! :)

Seriously tho, I do take your point. It's hard not to be intimidated tho, when I have the service manager telling me I'm not going to break-in the bike properly, burn out valves, etc and then not be covered by warranty.

Anyway, waiting to hear back from the importers (not Monza :p). Wonder if they read this forum?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, the importer 'recommends' that I wait until the bike has done at least 500km, but ideally I should wait until after the first service.

So it doesn't sound like it would necessarily void my warranty, but I think I'll play it safe.

But I will be looking at getting a Termi kit from the US and save myself a bundle of cash.

Thanks to all for your replies.

JB

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have said this before;
1. Print this thread and take it to the dealer to show him what a dick head he is. This guy obviously knows little and should NOT be working on your bike. (same ignorant attitude in NZ as well... but thats another story)
2. PM me if you want help with buying product from the US. Am an expat Sydneysider in Seattle...
cheers and ...
good luck!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm highly skeptical of all the exhaust conventional wisdom that gets thrown around, especially from dealers. It's comical how much stress and money goes into these exhaust systems. First, most of them are obscenely overpriced. Second, 90% of our opinion about the different systems is solely aesthetics-based. Third, our bikes are so stupidly overpowered to begin with that almost none of us will ever get the chance in our entire lives to take advantage of the measly 5-10 hp at 9k rpm that our 2 or 3 grand bought us. Fourth, there's no way that it's soooo important to get a dyno tune for an exhaust - it's an exhaust pipe, not a turbo - sure the dyno will help but there's no way it's as life-or-death as a lot of retailers make us believe. Fifth, there's no possible way that putting on a different exhaust system will do more damage than the already ridiculously lean factory tuning at low rpm. Sixth, we have O2 sensors...........what the hell are O2 sensors doing on the bike if they can't correct for minor airflow changes? Seventh, and worst of all, I think most tuners only know one or two things that do work, but they don't really know why.

Conventional wisdom is almost always bad, and 'experts' often say crazy things. I was recently told that altering the ECU's fuel tables to add fuel at low rpm to fix the fueling issue would create problems at high rpm with a stock exhaust system.

If you're a reasonably intelligent person, and somebody is trying to tell you something that they can't substantiate with hard facts or they can't explain to your total satisfaction without relying on other peoples' claims, you should have a natural instinct to be skeptical. Listen to that instinct.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all. I've thought about what you've each said. You're right. There is no evidence to back up any of the dealer's claims. I'm not interested in more power (there's plenty of that), but I do want the sound (love it) and the weight saving (significant). So I'm going to concentrate on getting the ECU map sorted, which means either getting the stock ECU modified, or getting a Termi kit. At this stage I think the Termi kit is the best option. JB

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If its the sound you want & no extra HP , then save yourself a bundle of cash.

Drill out the ends of the cans with a hole cutter & go get some 120mm carbon & resleeve the cans or go further & buy some perforated tube & wadding & take out that big lump of shit inside them

Job Done

PS Zach..Good post.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Blackie, still have to sort the ECU tho.

Where's the thread showing your 'Blackie Special' exhaust mod? I can't find it! I wanna have another look at what you did.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts