Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellas,

Any suggestion on a slip on for my new 2020 multistrada 1260 s grand tour. Looking for a good deep sound( not Moto GP) but something with a kick! somehow affordable.

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a slip on will not make a lot of difference in the exhaust note. I installed in Akrapovic slip on and yes there is a difference but it’s not a lot, that comes when you add the catalytic converter delete / header. However when you do that your bike will be much louder some say it is too loud so do your research and make certain that is what you want. Here is my slip on

·
Registered
15 Posts
cheapest way is probably a Leo Vince de cat and slip on. And you don’t need to remap( buy a rapid bike) when doing full exhaust on the 1260 so you could try it without first. I am a little concerned about that though because if you buy the full termi set up it comes with a new map for a reason.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
If you want to keep things legal with the stock Cat you're going to have to get used to the sound... slip-ons can move the frequencies around a bit but won't have a huge impact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a slip on will not make a lot of difference in the exhaust note. I installed in Akrapovic slip on and yes there is a difference but it’s not a lot, that comes when you add the catalytic converter delete / header. However when you do that your bike will be much louder some say it is too loud so do your research and make certain that is what you want. Here is my slip on View attachment 990608
I really like the Akrapovic design, it looks better than Termi. By any chance, did you do some comparison recordings of stock vs akrapovic sound?

I’m in the same situation as is the OP.

Cheers,
B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
No I didn’t but it Has gotten slightly louder since installing it. Overall I am very pleased with the Akrapovic, I also installed the exhaust flapper delete which may have added to a more aggressive sound. The only that still annoys me (slightly)is the overall fueling on it could be improved so although I do not think I will ever put a full exhaust on it because I don’t want more noise than what I currently have but I will probably buy the Rapid bike just to try to smooth out fuel delivery.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Keeping things legal is not the only issue. Modifying the stock exhaust system also nullifies the warranty.
Depends on the country... in the US a modification has to be proven to be the cause of a problem to nullify the warranty.

Reactions: iamzombie

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Depends on the country... in the US a modification has to be proven to be the cause of a problem to nullify the warranty.
Would not putting on a pipe that is not legal for street use more or less prove that? AKA kill the warranty?

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Would not putting on a pipe that is not legal for street use more or less prove that? AKA kill the warranty?
No while it can subject you to a hefty fine, it doesnt affect the warranty. (Unless for some reason your mod breaks something)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not going to lie, I always keep my OEM parts, if something goes wrong on the bike, I'll swap back to stock and the dealer can try and prove I messed with it :p

·
Registered
197 Posts
But if the dealer was the one installing the system, shouldn’t the warranty continue valid?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Ducati USA Warranty and Maintenance booklet states that the limited warranty will not apply to or include repairs or replacements as a result of :
  • Use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to to Ducati specifications which adversely effect performance and or durability.
  • Alterations or modifications not recommended or approved by Ducati North America Inc.
  • Incorporation for use on the road of unsuitable attachments or parts solely for use on a racetrack or accessories prohibited by local law.
A little later it states that Ducati North America is required to warrant the emission control system and that the bikes are designed to be in compliance with California and Federal emissions standards. Removing the cat and installing a race exhaust means that Ducati no longer warrants the bike.

In Canada, it is illegal to modify an exhaust system on any vehicle that makes it louder or more polluting; this is a federal thing. In the USA, each state has its own rules but as far as Ducati is concerned, if a bike has been modded in an unapproved or locally, illegal way, it is not covered under warranty. As these are clearly stipulated in the factory warranty booklet, I can't see how a lawyer can wrangle a client out of this.

Motorcyclists are becoming their own worst enemies; ridiculous road racing and illegal lane-splitting (even where lane splitting is allowed) and making bikes louder and less "green". Look what is happening in Europe with regard to bikes of certain makes/noise levels being banned from popular tourist areas.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If you want to save a buck take the belly suitcase out, slice it open and take out the cat and baffle, have it tig welded back on and add a Arrow can, i.m.o. the best and deepest tone out there, leave the db killer in and see how it sounds, if too quiet take the insert and drill few more holes or take it out complitely, your discretion.
Get yourself a titanium can, not the fugly looking ones that are listed for that bike, search around, you'll love it like i do.
$.02!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I really like the Akrapovic design, it looks better than Termi. By any chance, did you do some comparison recordings of stock vs akrapovic sound?

I’m in the same situation as is the OP.

Cheers,
B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are probably tons of stock recordings on the interwebs. I just put up a video of my Akra set up yesterday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts