Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I cant seem to stop sliding into the tank every time I am riding. It is very annoying and make it difficult for me to ride most of the time. I am always on top of the tank. I did not shine my tank or use any other product to make this happen. I believe its combination of the steep pitch and slippery seat. Also most of the discomfort I get from riding is due to me being up against the tank and not having my bum on teh thicker portion of the seat. I try and grab the tank with my thighs, but the tank is to slippery and I do not want to put anything on it that would make it look ugly.

What do you sugest:

Put some gripy material on the seat?
Re-carve the foam to flatten it out?
Get a custom seat?
Install a seat belt :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
wear leather pants. that stopped it for me... (obviously not an option for city riding...)

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have bought a set of stomprip universal transparent anti slide stickers and put them on the sides. U can spot them but worked 4 me

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had the same problem with my Paul Smart. I bought a Ducati Comfort Seat and it solved it. It has more padding and a smaller seat area, which holds you in place better. And the covering is not slick vinyl but a lightly textured vinyl fabric which holds you better.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well from thw way you intially make it seem, it seems like you're riding your moto in a bath of baby-oil, slipping all over the place. It could be the type of jacket your using, pants you choose to wear while riding, or you might be a little too short for the moto, which can be a little frustrating since you don't seem to be able to focus more on the ride but rather staying in place in order to ride without slipping all the time.

If this a serious concern, which sounds like it is, I'd probably have the seat re-upholstered in Alacantara (synthetic suede) which would certainly keep you in place since the suede would be more "grainy" than the vinyl seat supplied as stock. MV Agusta tends to offer Alacantara seats as stock, but you can have a decent upholstery shop take care of this for you for less than 200.00

I'm 6' so for me, I feel secure everytime on on the moto. For you to say you're on top of the tank and have a hard time gripping it, gives me the impression you're struggling to stay on top of the moto again, based on chosen clothing, seat height, your height, or applying way too much baby-oil on the moto...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
gio - you and I have the same bike yet as I mentioned in another thread I don't experience this problem under normal riding conditions. Maybe it's the material of the pants you ride in combined with the seat's surface. The seat is slicker than any other bike I've had and I've found that new kevlar jeans and Armorall aren't a good combo, as I find myself sliding a little then.

I've noticed some citrus-based cleaning products leave a slightly tacky feel so perhaps wiping a little on the sitting area of your seat might help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am 5,8". I slip on the seat with jeans, dress pants and my Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants (Nylon). Suede would be nice, but I think I need to take of the pitch as well; I feel like I am angled down to much.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Call me crazy but I like slipping. I move around on the bike quite a bit and have no problem with it. When I hit the brakes I just squeeze the tank with my legs to prevent excessive ball-crushing but that's it... :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
I still cant understand the excessiveness though. Maybe I'm over analyzing, who knows. What's strangest to me, is that this is on a GT, whereas you'd be in some serious trouble if you were on a SC or SC-S...

Hope you resolve the issue.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I always wear 2-piece leathers when riding the bike, no slipping into the tank here. Mrs H did try wearing denim the 1st time she rode pillion & found herself slipping on the seat. She now also wears 2-piece leathers & hey presto - no slipping!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wish I could wear leathers, but Mississippi might as well be Panama when it comes to climate. The only place in the world where you can get swamp-ass in the nude.

I'd say if you have the $$ have your seat redone in alcantara as stated. It would not only work like a charm, it would look very nice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
it took me a bit to get used to the bikes slippiness, but eventually got used to it. now i grip the tank more with my legs (like you're supposed to), and use my core muscles for balance. i actually like the ability to slide on my seat as it is soooo farking wide it takes some moving to get off for tight / high speed corners etc.

leathers cut it down for sure. i have the regular seat, probably wont be changing any time soon.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't use Armour All or other non-conditioning polishes on the seat. Use the rear brake more around town.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I hate seats that stick - it's far more effective to be able to move around the bike without having to place all your body weight on the footpegs to overcome a sticky seat. Am i missing something here? These are sport bikes, right? We are sport riders, right? We all use the muscles in our arms and legs when we ride, right?

or am I just being a cynical pr*ck today?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had the same problem, which caused more than a little concern at first. The problem went completely away only after I had put in some serious saddle time. I learned to relax, and to appreciate the bike's seating position, which (for me) is very nearly perfect. It offers a marvelous balance between comfort and control. I remember when I realized this: I'd put in a long day of riding, and was too tired to fight the bike's seating position anymore. Voila! Comfort, and no more intimate tank contact.

They really do know what they're doing in Bologna, so give it six months (if not a year) and then start changing things if you have too.

I found the stock seat offered superior comfort to the "comfort" seat. The stocker is also better padded, looks better, and has the cool retro white lettering, which the comfort seat lacks. And what's up with the comfort seat's gray stitching?

You'll never get used to the harsh ride brought on by the heavy steel stock wheels. You'll want to dump those. Now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate seats that stick - it's far more effective to be able to move around the bike without having to place all your body weight on the footpegs to overcome a sticky seat. Am i missing something here? These are sport bikes, right? We are sport riders, right? We all use the muscles in our arms and legs when we ride, right?

or am I just being a cynical pr*ck today?

Making the seat more gripy is not so I can be stuck in one position when I am on the bike; that would defeat teh purpose. As it is now I am pretty much stuck in one position, B*lls on the tank. I do not even have to apply the brakes to slide down the seat, all I have to do is let off the gas and there I go all up on the tank.

The bike should not dictate where I am postioned on it. I should be able to move around freely to whatever location I want to. However, all I am trying to do while riding is to back up every second I am sliding forward.

I have ridden many sport bikes and most of the seating is nuetral. When riding teh 1098 I am able to site where ever I want on the saddle.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ok, I'm sorry, I was being a cynical pri*k - sometimes those days happen. I'm just baffled with the problem because my experience is exactly the opposite.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, I'm sorry, I was being a cynical pri*k - sometimes those days happen. I'm just baffled with the problem because my experience is exactly the opposite.
Its all good... I just wanted to explain a bit more, because your point was valid

1 - 20 of 34 Posts