Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been weighing this for some time. My primary concern is a low side during a track day. I'm probably not going to run the body work as it's unobtanium.

My concern is this; do sliders help a low siding bike slide to a nice, relatively undamaged stop, or do they cause the bike to slide right up until it hits a divit or dirt and acts as a pogo to launch that sucker into next week?

I just don't know...

Any and all thoughts are welcome thought.

Thanks!

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
I was talked out of using frame sliders on my street bikes (Ducati) because the frame slider will break the engine where the bolt goes into the frame.
If its a dedicated track bike and it means the world to finish the race then by all means.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
An excellent question. I'm guessing that if you're cooking it on a track and lowside, you're gonna sustain damage. I just dont see how they would prevent damage if you're REALLY, really smoking it. But, maybe the hardcore racer folks on here could give you the scoop.

I'm gonna vote no.

Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
+1 what Largerthan9 said. My local Ducati service shop (Ducshop) says that they see a fair amount of cracked cases where sliders mount. They suggested axle sliders, handlebar sliders, and a strong pair of rearsets. In other words, buying bodywork is cheaper than repairing cases. Hard to argue with that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 what Largerthan9 said. My local Ducati service shop (Ducshop) says that they see a fair amount of cracked cases where sliders mount. They suggested axle sliders, handlebar sliders, and a strong pair of rearsets. In other words, buying bodywork is cheaper than repairing cases. Hard to argue with that.
Definately hard to argue that one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had my fair share of crashes and had sliders on most of my previous bikes. None of them saved the fairings or reduced the damages. All my accidents were high speed accidents though. I'm not a slider fan, but saw a low speed low side where they did reduce the damage on a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
157 Posts
as far as the engine bolt flexing and cracking the cases, the axljak sliders use a flange that bolts to the frame members to increase rigidity and prevent engine cracking, i pretty much endorse them whenever someone asks about sliders as they are the best design available.

and whether the bike will slide for longer, im sure it would as there is less friction slowing the bike as it grinds along the tarmac but for the extra feet of slide you are doing tons less damage to your engine cases/covers, frame, tank and if you got it bodywork so i would say its worth it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You don't want to forget about fork sliders either. I went down on some ice this year (probably shouldn't have been riding in 15F snow :think:) and my front axle dug in and ground down some of the threads. I had to replace the front axle as it made getting the nut threaded on quite difficult. That might also have kept the front from digging in so badly and rotating the bike around which might have saved a bit of wear on my pannier as well.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've been weighing this for some time. My primary concern is a low side during a track day. I'm probably not going to run the body work as it's unobtanium.

My concern is this; do sliders help a low siding bike slide to a nice, relatively undamaged stop, or do they cause the bike to slide right up until it hits a divit or dirt and acts as a pogo to launch that sucker into next week?

I just don't know...

Any and all thoughts are welcome thought.

Thanks!
my local shop, who also runs a race team, does not recommend frame sliders. They suggest axle sliders, bar end sliders. The reason being that frame sliders are great as long as the bike is sliding on pavement, but as soon as it hits dirt that bike will likely go airborne and sturt tumbling destroying a lot more parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've always been told by my race coach/tuner that frame sliders just efficiently transfer all the force to the frame and engine. I would vote for axle sliders, though, having replaced both front gold Brembos on a salvage bike I rebuilt. Nice, thick fiberglass bodywork (Sharkskinz) helps, too.

That said, when yer talkin' lowsides, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of billet. . . finish your turns, buy good tires, look where you want to go. Slow down to go fast. Good coaching is key.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always been told by my race coach/tuner that frame sliders just efficiently transfer all the force to the frame and engine. I would vote for axle sliders, though, having replaced both front gold Brembos on a salvage bike I rebuilt. Nice, thick fiberglass bodywork (Sharkskinz) helps, too.

That said, when yer talkin' lowsides, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of billet. . . finish your turns, buy good tires, look where you want to go. Slow down to go fast. Good coaching is key.
Amen.

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking maybe axle/bar sliders for track day use. Probably no body until I can procure some track ugly stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts