Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, as a newbie to the riding world, I've got a question about sliders, specifically as to a Sport Classic. I've been reading old posts but I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.

I managed to drop my '06 monoposto in such a way that I only scratched the factory exhaust (still waiting to cough up the dough for the 2-2 Termis) but my question is this -- which sliders do I "need"?

Assuming I get some nice new pipes, I'll need sliders to protect those in a fall -- do the regular frame sliders cover those? Or do the frame sliders just protect the tank?

Are the axle sliders the component that protect the pipes, or are those protecting the swingarm?
Are the bar end sliders necessary?

I should add that I'm a daily rider -- a commuter and winding road enjoyer, but probably won't ever be a track girl. That being said, how can I best protect my bike from my likely mishaps (slow-speed drops and the horrendous parking-lot-backed-into-disaster?). I know, a highway mishap is never out of the question, but if that's the case I'll be more worried about me than the bike.

Thanks for any advice you've got!

·
Registered
77 Posts
if you are only going to get one thing, get through frame sliders, like the ones speedymoto make. i took a low speed fall to the left side of a mono, and suprisingly the barend mirrors and rearset took all the damage, there were some scrapes to my rear axle nut, sorta wish i had axle sliders there, but it was minimal.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If you think of sliders, don't forget about steering stop savers…

They protect your stops + tank + fork from damage by reducing the steering angle and absorbing the impact force of the front end

They can be mounted on the top or down tubes and are available in 13 and 20 mm thickness

When i went down, i had to recognize that the exhausts are the "best":(sliders… at least on the Biposto… costs me two new silencers:eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
There really aren't any sliders available that will protect the exhaust - sorry.

I just installed Rhino axle (front and rear) and bar end sliders, and Motovation frame sliders. No much more than that that one can do.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Take a look at these:

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Ducati/Sport_Classic_1000S/2007/EP0006BK.aspx

http://www.mufflerslider.com/

I use R&G and think they are fantastic! 4 track off's - so you can say they have been thoroughly tested! The rear axle is a waste of time, never been touched - I haven't used the exhuast setup - I wish I had though, as my Termi 2-2s are looking rough!! Although they paint up well with PJ1 fast black!

3 of my 4 offs were tarmac only and bar the exhaust scrapes, I only had to replace front axle, bar and frame sliders. Unfortunately on my last off I slid into the kitty litter so there is a little grazing on the tank as well, but you need to be close up to see it.

R

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
There is some thought that frame sliders may actually make it worse, providing a lever to torque the frame on a slide.

Given that, and the exhaust hits everytime as far as I can tell, I opted for only front fork and bar ends.

·
Registered
555 Posts
some frame sliders look butt ugly, and i agree with some views that in some cases they can do more harm than good. I went for the SpeedyMoto frame sliders with their "under bodywork" sliders". These don't stick out as far and look better. Also went for the front fork sliders, Rhino brand. They are unobtrusive.
I think if you're hoping to save your bodywork with frame sliders then you're missing the point and will probably end up with something that sticks out too far and could lead to leverage damage to the frame. I liked the SpeedyMoto sliders because they provide a solid bar running through the motor from one slider to the other. Not likely to damage the frame, in my view.

However, I think the key point to consider with frame sliders is what you have them for. They're not to protect bodywork because nothing short of padding everywhere will protect the bodywork. I have them to protect the engine and engine cases such that in the event of a slide off I have a better chance of riding the bike home than not. Protecting against a hole which drain the oil from the cases.

If you consider the role of the sliders is to improve the ridability of the bike in the event of a spill, then you can make a better choice and ignore some of the clearly crappy ones out on the market. Think about why racers use them, it sure as hell isn't to protect the sponsor stickers from getting scraped off

·
Registered
555 Posts
crm14,
they're not. you have to buy the SC specific kit then order separately the underbody pucks. It does mean you end up with a spare set....

·
Registered
555 Posts
or I think you might be able to order the 749 kit which will bolt on to the SC, but check with them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
in my experience you only need front axle sliders.

-rear are redundant because the pipes will hit the ground before the sliders do.
-frame sliders are controversial, because they can protect your tank, but they can also bend your frame and make your bike totaled. I low-sided on gravel at 35mph on the right side a while back: the right pipe, the right clip on, the rear break pedal, and the right fork leg took the hit. the tank didn't even touch the ground... which is how I determined that front axle sliders are the only ones that would matter.

I have sato racing axle sliders which are more discrete than the rinomoto ones:

http://www.satoracing.com/frontaxleslider.htm

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
makes sense. sorry I forgot to specify that I have a biposto, so less faring to protect... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts