Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I laid my SF-S down yesterday to discover how well sliders work. I was in heavy traffic in the left lane of a four lane road (two lanes each way). We got moving again and I was traveling between 20-30 mph when the people in a car in the right lane caught my eye. After I fixated a little too long, I looked straight and the truck in front of me was stopped! I instinctively grabbed the brake lever, which we all know with our brakes is a no-no, and immediately locked-up the Brembos and down I went.

The bike slid I don't know how far but fortunately it didn't hit anything. About two weeks ago I installed SpeedMoto frame sliders as well as front and rear axle sliders. They saved the bike from serious damage! The only things that broke were my bar-end mirror and the foot of my shifter! No scratched body work at all! The tail is unscathed. Front turn signal is untouched. The clutch lever has a small worn area on the end. The sliders protected the radiator, lower fairing, and case. However, the bike isn't starting right now so it's making a trip to the dealership on Tues.

Of course I was wearing my gear so all I got was a huge bruise on my left hip and a tweaked left knee. This was only my second spill in about 20 years of riding. It woke me up again...things could happen very quickly on the road if you don't pay attention....

Here are the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow glad you are ok...... the full face helmet saves a facial surgery
I think of these pictures of a crash-abraded acrylic shield every time I see a fool with a half-helmet brain bucket on a cruiser. Idiots.:eek:

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Oh am I all too familiar with this one...

Those sliders saved you a lot of money eeric!! I recall $750 for a rear hub, $2300 for a tank... the list goes on.

So, another panic situation with those brakes... I am going to try to work on hard braking to hopefully get a better feel for what I might pull for a real panic stop.
It is hard to describe how different a panic stop is from "I have practiced hard braking... even stoppies" to really hauling on the lever... it must be adrenaline or something but geeez, you pull harder when you are faced with that sphincter tightening feeling.

I am very glad you are ok, your helmet even looks like mine did, maybe a little more shield scratch where mine was more along the chin bar but... similar.

I too can't believe how anyone could wear anything less than a full face model when riding any size motorbike... you just never know.

Good to see you are ok.

Dave

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
... people in a car in the right lane caught my eye. After I fixated a little too long, ....
they better have been hot naked girls

and good to hear things went well and were ok.
I was tempted to say "I can't wait to use my sliders" but ,, I really can :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
I better get some sliders then...thanks for the pics and glad you're mostly unharmed.
This is the 4th SF crash I know of (including mine) that happened on the left side. Coincidence? My buddy low sided in a left turn at the track, I ran wide in a left turn, Clydesryde slid left and now you...sounds fishy

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I guess our bikes are all-right then?? It is weird how it worked out to be lefts so far... I hope no one else manages a right side mis-hap... everybody just stay on-board!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the 4th SF crash I know of (including mine) that happened on the left side. Coincidence? My buddy low sided in a left turn at the track, I ran wide in a left turn, Clydesryde slid left and now you...sounds fishy
I guess our bikes are all-right then?? It is weird how it worked out to be lefts so far... I hope no one else manages a right side mis-hap... everybody just stay on-board!
I'm glad it happened on the left side. I can't imagine the damage to those expensive Termi cans on the right side... No slider would protect those. :(
And yeah...no more wrecks!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm thinking I'll be putting my rear sliders back on after seeing these pics--thanks.

PS take them off to service the chain with the pit bull.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you noticed, I have RhinoMoto bar-end sliders also. Don't know if they helped, but my CRG LS mirrors are mounted on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts