Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket clutch slave fitted, with a 28mm piston. My problem is that as I get older I am reaching the point where I can't operate the clutch after about 50 miles, due I guess to arthritis. I'm fine at first but as the ride continues I get an agonizing pain across the back of my hand which becomes so painful I can no longer use the clutch.

I'm wondering if a change to a 30mm slave piston would make any difference, or am I doomed to ride a Honda SuperDream?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have an aftermarket clutch slave fitted, with a 28mm piston. My problem is that as I get older I am reaching the point where I can't operate the clutch after about 50 miles, due I guess to arthritis. I'm fine at first but as the ride continues I get an agonizing pain across the back of my hand which becomes so painful I can no longer use the clutch.

I'm wondering if a change to a 30mm slave piston would make any difference, or am I doomed to ride a Honda SuperDream?
The aftermarket slave cylinders do make a difference, there are good and bad ones though, some seem to be too big, they give a nice easy lever but the trade off is they don't seem to seperate the pack enough making neutral hard to find, which can be counterproductive if you're in traffic....

I have a Yoyodyne on one bike that has been faultless for over 15 years, i also have an STM which works fine, 6 years so far, and i have just returned my second EVR because it refused to work without allowing air in somewhere, i'm back to the std factory fit unit while i wait for an Oberon, i'll see how that goes.

Not sure where you are but the availability of these things is very hit and miss, I bought the Sim and lately the EVR because they were what my shop had on hand, i couldn't find another yoyodyne to save myself.....

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that NCR make a 32mm piston slave, but a, it costs the earth, and b, I don't know how well they work. AFAIK Japanese v twins don't have gorilla-pull clutches, so I would have thought that Ducati could have sorted this by now.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The amount of lever pull force reduction depends on the size of the slave cylinder diameter you choose. For example, a 27.5 mm will give you a 15% reduction, a 30 mm unit will give you a 26% reduction.

29 mm is a safe choice. As you go bigger, you begin to encounter clutch disengagement issues such as difficulty finding neutral at a stop, because a larger slave cylinder doesn't separate the clutch plates as much. You can compensate for this somewhat by increasing the range of movement of the clutch lever using the adjuster screw at the lever.

The size that Ducati chose is a tradeoff between faster shifts (less lever movement) and less lever pull.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts