Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 S and was doing some searching on replacing the spring on the rear shock with one that is a little bit more firm. Riding two up with the suspension set on the firmest settings i occasionally bottom out on travel and/ or scrape the center stand in the corners. Has anyone had any luck with a replacement spring. I did send an e-mail to Traxion Dynamics, but have not heard back yet. I think someone else on the forum was dealing with Racetech.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have now asked both the Ducati UK technical director tor and the General manager for the spec on the spring so my local suspension guy can work out an upgraded Spring

Guess what, no response from either in over a month

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: gs2offroad

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I'm interested in this too... I've not had a bottoming out problem but would like a spring designed for a 210-220'lb rider rather than a 165lb rider. My main concern is that it won't screw up the electronics somehow (wouldn't think a spring change would but who knows).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received an email from Traxion Dynamics and they informed me that they had not looked at the skyhook to spec the shock and had no recommendations. I may try Racetech unless someone else has.
I don't think a heavier spring will mess up any electronics. It may affect optimal performance. I am sure the internals are set up for the factory spring.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I received an email from Traxion Dynamics and they informed me that they had not looked at the skyhook to spec the shock and had no recommendations. I may try Racetech unless someone else has.
I don't think a heavier spring will mess up any electronics. It may affect optimal performance. I am sure the internals are set up for the factory spring.
I think you're likely right... I'm also interested in what Ducati might say about warranty service if you've changed the spring - and skyhook dynamic performance.

Though... if anything... I'd think a spring sized for the actual weight of a rider would be LESS stress on other suspension components (dampers and adjustment electronics) because it would result in less suspension movement under the same conditions. It would make the suspension perform more like the OE suspension does with a 160lb rider.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had the shock spring replaced on my '16 Mts S

Call Loui and Race tech and ask him about the EIbach shock he sent out to Ducati Dallas for the Mts.

The guys at AMS said it was a pain free swap and I couldnt be happier with the new stiffness:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I just had the shock spring replaced on my '16 Mts S

Call Loui and Race tech and ask him about the EIbach shock he sent out to Ducati Dallas for the Mts.

The guys at AMS said it was a pain free swap and I couldnt be happier with the new stiffness:grin2:
progressive or linear? Did you get the specs?

Reactions: Corsa9

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm interested in this too... I've not had a bottoming out problem but would like a spring designed for a 210-220'lb rider rather than a 165lb rider. My main concern is that it won't screw up the electronics somehow (wouldn't think a spring change would but who knows).
How do you know it's designed for a 165lb rider?

Educated guess?

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
How do you know it's designed for a 165lb rider?

Educated guess?
IIRC it's stated somewhere in the Ducati docs... don't recall the exact location though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am guessing the suspensions on the 2014 and 2015-16 are the same before I call Racetech. I sent an email with some general questions and they wanted me to send them my shock so they could proke prod and examine it. I have no desire to do that or be without use of my bike for who knows how long.

·
Registered
348 Posts
So this is what I know.....

I have been researching this for about 8 months now and this is what I know, however YMMV,

User jbmadness worked with Race Tech and details of his solution are here:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/203-suspension-tire-tech/467898-skyhook-heavy-riders.html

his answer was to use a linear rate Eibach 700 lb/in spring.

What I have been able to deduce is:

The standard spring fitted to the rear skyhook shock is a 80 - 120 N/mm (approx 450-700 Lbs/inch). The spring has a free length of 18 cm (approx 7.1 inch).

While I think jbmadness solution would be fine for when the bike is fully loaded up, some of the comfort would be lost we not fully loaded. I think the ideal solution would be a 90-140 N/mm spring. I have searched but have been unable to find a supplier that makes such a spring stock.

I have approached 1 custom race spring manufacture in the UK and the cost of 5 springs would be around US$1200 plus shipping. So there is a possibility of doing a group buy. I am reluctant to pull the trigger on this as I'm based in Malaysia at the moment and I think it would be much safer to have some one in the same country as the supplier do the organizing, any volunteers?

I have not approached any custom spring manufactures in the US, doe any one care to recommend a good one?

So in summary, I think we need a custom spring manufactures and a volunteer to ride herd on this and set up a group buy.

questions? comments?

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I have been researching this for about 8 months now and this is what I know, however YMMV,What I have been able to deduce is:

The standard spring fitted to the rear skyhook shock is a 80 - 120 N/mm (approx 450-700 Lbs/inch). The spring has a free length of 18 cm (approx 7.1 inch).

I have approached 1 custom race spring manufacture in the UK and the cost of 5 springs would be around US$1200 plus shipping. So there is a possibility of doing a group buy. I am reluctant to pull the trigger on this as I'm based in Malaysia at the moment and I think it would be much safer to have some one in the same country as the supplier do the organizing, any volunteers?

I have not approached any custom spring manufactures in the US, doe any one care to recommend a good one?

So in summary, I think we need a custom spring manufactures and a volunteer to ride herd on this and set up a group buy.

questions? comments?
I agree that a linear rate spring is not ideal for a non-track focused bike.

I'd be in at a $250'ish price point assuming a reputable vendor with a record of delivering custom spec springs for on the road use.

I'm in the US so probably also not the right person as the manufacturer point contact.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Dave, I think the stated weight is 85 Kg, which is approx 187 Lbs
:smile2:
That's better... instead of being 18 years since I was 165lbs... it's only been 10 years since I weighed 190lbs. :)

·
Vendor
484 Posts
I agree that a linear rate spring is not ideal for a non-track focused bike.

I'd be in at a $250'ish price point assuming a reputable vendor with a record of delivering custom spec springs for on the road use.

I'm in the US so probably also not the right person as the manufacturer point contact.
Contact Dan at Traxxion. They work with a custom spring maker.

I would trust the guys at Traxxion before any other source.

All my experiences with Traxxion have been excellent.

HTH.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts