Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a thread for clunking forks, this one is for clunking rear suspension.

If your bike clunks from the rear end, post up here. Also any solutions/experiences with warranty claims through your dealer are welcomed here also.

My bike does it - it's very noticeable on the last few metres of an emergency stop, also when coming to a gentle stop over bumps the clunk can be heard. It doesn't sound healthy and I hope together we can come to a solution.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The only time I have experienced something even remotely like this was when the chain had stretched and was out of adjustment. Upon investigation I saw if the tension was out of spec the chain will hit the edge of the CAT near the front sprocket. It didn't take it to be out of adjustment much for this to occur and I could see on the CAT where the chain touched it. It first happened to me on a fire road and I was riding it pretty hard at the time. I keep a very close eye on it now and adjust as necessary.

Break out your chain gauge and see if it is loose.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look into that and post here if I find anything, thanks for the tip.

Other areas that the noise could possibly be originating from;
- Gearbox (sounds very similar to the clunk the gearbox makes when selecting first gear when the engine is running)
- Sidestand (it's not the center stand, my bike doesn't have one)

FWIW, I've ridden a 2012 model extensively which didn't suffer from this issue.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Traction Control kicking in.....

With no weight on the rear during hard braking the TC is doing its thing .....

Rear tire bouncing with no weight on it and the TC engaging and disengaging

Both my 2010 & 2013 has done it :cool:

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
I've always thought it was my centre stand, but if a bike without one is doing the same thing .... any luggage fitted? What about the tool kit under the saddle bouncing around?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I've narrowed it down to the suspension itself.

It clunks when not braking at all, and it does so in the lower damping suspension modes i.e. tuning with damping reduced, urban and enduro. Sport mode is ok.

Is no one else having this problem?! Ride your bike slowly over lane markers, in urban mode. You'll hear it and feel it.

A $35k bike just shouldn't have these problems, Ducati obviously did not test these things after manufacture. Not to mention there's no known fix available, and if I complain to my dealer no doubt the response will be "they all do that and we're not fixing it".

Not buying a new Ducati ever again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aussie distributor reckons I'm the first to report this problem, so asking Ducati for a replacement rear shock isn't out of the question after a thorough workshop inspection.

I let the service manager at my dealer ride the bike today, he heard the clunk loud and clear. Originally he thought it could be the chain smacking the chain guard, so it was tightened up but the clunk remained. I'm taking the bike in next week for a closer inspection and a possible warranty claim to Ducati.

So no one else has this problem on their bike? I find it very hard to believe that it's completely confined to myself, nemesis.ie and leocunhamg.

nemesis.ie - did you ever figure out what was making the noise on your bike?

Will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw, the noise the bike was making on the last few metres of an emergency stop was indeed due to ABS doing it's thing.

The rear clunk I'm referring to now is something different. Anytime I ride over sharp bumps (cats eyes are a perfect example) at or under 50km/h in Touring or Urban mode a nasty clunk can be heard.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
btw, the noise the bike was making on the last few metres of an emergency stop was indeed due to ABS doing it's thing.

The rear clunk I'm referring to now is something different. Anytime I ride over sharp bumps (cats eyes are a perfect example) at or under 50km/h in Touring or Urban mode a nasty clunk can be heard.
Likewise and it's still there with the chain tightened and my SC project exhaust so I'm pretty sure it's not the centre stand (some of you don't have a C-stand either right?).

I'm going to be making a rubber pad with Sugru for the stand to move the lever lower soon (and will mould in some magnets so the stand will actually pulled tight a bit) and if it's still definitely clunking I will speak to the dealer.

I'm pretty sure it's the shock/linkage/skyhook settings just like the front issue some folks have and it's been there from day one.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Mine does not now nor has it ever done any clunking front or rear.

I myself would definitely yes buy another Ducati. In fact, from time to time I have to fight off the impulse to pickup a spankin' new Panigale 1199 as a 2nd bike........

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Man, I'm with you there completely! I want a Panigale in a bad way. I'm lucky I don't have room in the garage or else I would have seriously considered the Superleggera.

Mine does not now nor has it ever done any clunking front or rear.

I myself would definitely yes buy another Ducati. In fact, from time to time I have to fight off the impulse to pickup a spankin' new Panigale 1199 as a 2nd bike........

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Likewise and it's still there with the chain tightened and my SC project exhaust so I'm pretty sure it's not the centre stand (some of you don't have a C-stand either right?).
No I don't have a centre stand.

So I think we've eliminated the following possible causes;

Centre stand
Side stand (I've held it fully closed with my foot while riding over bumps)
Chain banging against the cat or guard

The fact that the noise doesn't occur in Sport mode leads me to believe (like you) that it is in fact the rear shock.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
No I don't have a centre stand.

So I think we've eliminated the following possible causes;

Centre stand
Side stand (I've held it fully closed with my foot while riding over bumps)
Chain banging against the cat or guard

The fact that the noise doesn't occur in Sport mode leads me to believe (like you) that it is in fact the rear shock.
Agreed on all counts. Although I must check what mine does in the various modes. I have some speed bumps right next to where I live where it does it every time since day one so I'll have a check when I can ride again (thumb injury).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dealer (and the importer) is adamant that it's the chain slapping on the guard that causes the noise. They reckon they've done a test with a 2012 model and the same thing happens.

I'm not convinced (doesn't make a noise in sport mode) but there's not much else I can do at this stage. I guess I'll try and avoid bumps on the road when riding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts