Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in NYC and beyond manhattan and BK, I still don't know my way around all that well. I think the GPS is a great feature, but 1400 dollars for something that will most likely rapidly become outdated seems steep. I am glad there are people willing to spend the money now, because it ensures the product has an evolving future.

That being said, I like the idea of Nuviz. Heads up display that you can retrofit to any helmet. Even if it is a little ugly...

Not sure if i am allowed to post an external URL...
NUVIZ - THE MOTORCYCLE HEAD-UP DISPLAY

b

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most riders have a difficult enough time focusing on what is in front of them, I can't imagine how well people will adapt to a built-in rear view display.

You do not need a full time view of what's behind you, that's for sure. As for GPS, well buy a TomTom Rider or just do what I do and turn the throttle and tell your friends you'll be there when you get there. I'll stick with my Shoei.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
Don't know what all the fuss is about.. I've been wearing a Reevu helmet for some time now and the rear vision feature is the best thing since sliced bread.
Ride my '67 Daytona (no mirrors) and always know what's behind me, then when I ride either of the other bikes I find I still use it instead of the bike mirrors as I don't have to move my head down and sideways to see them (or my elbows)
Reevu is optical so no power is required.
Wouldn't mind a speed head up display though but I do have bike to bike/passenger/phone bluetooth fitted which is handy.
The Reevu cost no more than my other helmets too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone got there skully yet I pre ordered last week for 1st actual production run of helmet. I also saw that aprilia has committed to work with skully to integrate bike features into the software.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got to demo it while at Laguna Seca.
It was really neat! It was already set up in regards to the bluetooth and integrated with the gauges. But being able to tell it "SKULLY MAPS, SKULLY REARVIEW" and interact was a neat feature. Also looking straight out your visor it was not something that just catches your eye and makes you lose focus from ahead of you. But when you do glance down, it gives a nice display where it doesn't make you feel sick (like others have) or take away from your main focus.
The one I had tried was a bit large, but the speaker system in it seemed like it was good quality. I'm unsure how it would be at higher speeds

·
Happy To Be Here
318 Posts
Has anyone got there skully yet I pre ordered last week for 1st actual production run of helmet. I also saw that aprilia has committed to work with skully to integrate bike features into the software.
I think I have one of the first orders, I was interested when they had their first pre-sale with discounts - and I haven't heard peep from them since the t-shirts they mailed at Christmas. Also I've emailed them to update the color on my order and same, nothing back. Hopefully they're just busy making helmets :confused:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
My little brother was in on the start up.

He doesn't ride much so I should score it when the excitement wear off.

He tells me it should be here soon???

That should take about a week.:):)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread but I have been looking at helmets to replace my Bell Star Carbon which was damaged in a recent lowside and thought (just for s's & g's) I'd give Skully a look. They're actually attractive IMO and seem to be loaded with tech (not that I really care too much about anything other than the rear view camera) but the cost is freakin OUTRAGEOUS at $1500. I'm sickened by having to replace my $700 Bell Star carbon that's only about a year old... I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd spent $1500 on a helmet and damaged it in an accident or even just let it fall off the bike, countertop, etc.

Anyone here pre-order one? If so, how did you justify the cost? I'm not sure I can knowing that I might lose that $1500 investment on the way home from the bike shop. :eek:

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
They are now using a carbon fiber shell. The Kickstarter investors have been told to expect their Skully in December.

I'll be watching this release closely ... could be awesome, or another "Pono".

Last time I looked, those were polycarbonate shells. Not interested in protecting my head with that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
They are now using a carbon fiber shell. The Kickstarter investors have been told to expect their Skully in December.

I'll be watching this release closely ... could be awesome, or another "Pono".
Well that's good news at least. For what they were charging a polycarb shell was a rip-off.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Anyone else follow the Skully Helmet saga?

My cousin sent me to the Skully site in 2013 or so (maybe early 2014) when they first announced the helmet. I thought it was a fantastic idea and immediately signed up to the Beta tester list (never heard a peep back) and mailing list for updates. About a year ago they actually started taking preorders and I almost jumped at that point... but their published ship date had already slipped at least twice so I decided to hold onto my $1500.

Just checked again after about 6 months and now the 'ship date' is out in mid-'16, so I'm officially writing them off... too bad too because I REALLY liked the idea of a hud enabled helmet with integrated rearview camera, headset, gps, and Bluetooth.

Anyway... their loss is Pro Italia's gain, just bought Ducati branded riding gear and the electronic filler cap (because nothing screams 'too much disposable income' more than silly electronic gizmo's)... late Christmas present for Dave... woot!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah...so...a couple weeks before Christmas she told me my present was going to be late and I did have anything else for Christmas. She asked if I wanted to know what it was but I told her no and I'd wait. On Christmas Eve she told me my gift wasn't coming in until even later now, it would be May. So, I caved and asked what it was. Sure enough, it was a Skully. I was very surprised, because...let's face it, it's expensive, but I was excited. Then I started digging on the details and now...I'm not so excited. I finally just told her to cancel it but she won't do it because it's my "Christmas present". At this rate, it'll be my birthday present. IN OCTOBER!

So, I'm really excited and pissed off at the same time. Huge emotional rollercoaster over here. :wink2: Not sure if I can handle the wait.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts