Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Temporary greeter
23,068 Posts
I'm wit akaMOMO, the nose ring and the blue hair convinced me that prolly the Skully was zacally what I need. Shirley you jest about sumthin shorting.:)
I was kidding. But I also would hate to have that jewelry in my face while I'm putting on or taking off a helmet.

Don't get me wrong, I gave 3 GPS units in my phone plus one hard wired on the bars, a 2 way radio with a push to talk button going to a 5 watt HAM radio that goes to a Bluetooth unit on my helmet along with another intercom built into the Bluetooth helmet device so I'm not against the technology. I just think that spending that much on a helmet that has little crash and safety miles under its belt is a bit questionable. I can just as easily listen to the voice guidance through my headphones as well as use an intercom system that will go miles instead of feet. And if I want to look down to look at the screen I can. I don't need a helmet that may not be upgradable in the future and after a few years when it wears out I will need to spend another $1200 to replace.

Tell me more about the safety testing, sound level, airflow and other basic features of the helmet and I may be more enthused. In the meantime the video just showed me casual motorcycle riders who are more interested in the technology than the performance of the helmet. Heck, I don't even think many of those people even wear helmets from what they were saying.

And my rear view camera is my mirrors. They have never failed me in 30 years of riding.

·
Happy To Be Here
318 Posts
Huge step forward. ABS for your eyes. Rear view camera / HUD technology will be a standard on high end helmets in 5 years (or less).
Riding in one of the most congested places in this country outside of NYC, I'll take a bet on this tech to win some more situational awareness - for me and where I ride, this is a problem I welcome exploring solutions to.

This is different for everyone. This year it kind of works out where I am able to make a whimsical purchase for that amount. I own a 996 that I can't see S*T anywhere rear of me and keeping 100% traffic behind me just doesn't work out that way when I live where we almost have a combat zone for roads. I got a $200 discount so if it is the worst idea ever, it'll hit eBay a month later and I'll be even.

I appreciate the criticism and I think almost all of it is totally valid. How about I'll be the early adopter based on the above and be a good guy, report back to the gang?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Probably 6 years ago after I had driven a car with a HUD, I told my buddy it would be sweet to rig up a HUD inside a helmet to show speed, gear position, and rpms. Personally I think the rear view cam would be very distracting unless you could turn it off, but it seems like a decent first go at the tech. I for one didn't want the hassle or have to find the capital to put the idea into any sort of a real product, so I applaud those who are going for it. I think perhaps a more solid approach would be to have the projection of images emanate from the nose of the bike onto the road like a Vette or M5 and allow it to easily be switched on and off via a handlebar switch and have any voice (if necessary for nav or whatever) come through a built in speaker in the helmet. It would reduce weight (what does the thing weigh anyways?) and would be less distraction IMO.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I thought an integrated brake light would come one day. Didnt expect a jarvis equipped helmet.
Still wonder why nobody has coome up with an integrated tail light, or an add on unit, with a wireless connection to the bike. As many people swap out a stock brake light for sometimes a less than visible led, there could be a super bright flashing red led panel on your helmet

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Jeez the video was convincing. Yeah I would ride more if I could have my phone and text messages annoying me. That has to be way safer. You need a friggin pay attention warning to bring you back to reality from little tech bubble. "Sorry telemarketer can you hold on a second, I need to get on the brakes to avoid running into this truck ahead of me". I feel so safe in my micro environment how could anything hurt me?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love the idea of a HUD in my helmet... Might even like the idea of the navigation... But I'm not sure about the rear view camera... Maybe if the camera was mounted to the bike, so that it's not constantly moving as you move your head?

What I want in a HUD is more bike related... I wanna know Speed, blinker, and maybe RPMs... and if it worked correctly, a low fuel indicator... I can look in my mirrors, which on the SS they are functional enough to know if something is behind me, but looking at the dash long enough to translate what it's telling me takes too much time IMHO

·
Registered
289 Posts
You know, I didn't mean to come off so hard on the whole idea. I like the idea of the rear view.

I also love the idea of a hud with engine data. The only thing I don't have an interest in is putting a phone in my helmet.

Maybe on a long trip, or if I used my bike for daily transportation I would be interested. When I ride, I am trying to get away from all that stuff.

Bird

·
Registered
303 Posts
Did anyone find any data on the specs of the helmet regarding weight and corresponding shell sizes to match actual helmet size? I can't see dropping 2k on a helmet if I look like the Great Gazzoo and I have 4 lb lid on my head. Conceptually I love the idea of the rear view mirror, but this is the type of item I would absolutely have to try before buying.

"Hey kids your college fund is slashed because dad needed the super, duper, extra special 25k edition skully helmet."

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a friend that subscribes to the philosophy that a helmet should be a helmet, and nothing else. No bluetooth/phone, no music, etc. I've only been riding for two years, but I see exactly where he's coming from.

In this case, I think that riding bikes is one of those uncommon examples where having too much information might be a bad thing. The heads up disply in particular...whatever info it feeds through to you, by the time you process it and reconcile it in your mind, I just feel the chance of target fixation becomes much higher. Not to mention that I think it's likely that many people will get used to this tech, and forget how to ride without it.

As for seeing behind you, that's fine...but we have mirrors for that. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a friend that subscribes to the philosophy that a helmet should be a helmet, and nothing else. No bluetooth/phone, no music, etc. I've only been riding for two years, but I see exactly where he's coming from.

In this case, I think that riding bikes is one of those uncommon examples where having too much information might be a bad thing. The heads up disply in particular...whatever info it feeds through to you, by the time you process it and reconcile it in your mind, I just feel the chance of target fixation becomes much higher. Not to mention that I think it's likely that many people will get used to this tech, and forget how to ride without it.

As for seeing behind you, that's fine...but we have mirrors for that. Just my two cents.
Regarding rear view, the best thing I ever did was install the CRG bar end mirrors. I couldn't believe how much better they work vs. The typical fairing and control mounted mirrors.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've been thinking about this helmet. At first I thought it fascinating, but now, no. The truth is my temple is my Ducati on a country road. When I ride the only thing I hear is the wind and that beautiful motor...guys in my group listen to music, make phone calls, listen to their GPS and radar, and some even have intercoms. I do have one of those HARD flashing lights for the Valentine but....that's a must - Lol (no noise tho). There's a real appeal and grace to riding a country road with nothing in your head but conscious space.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I think the Skully helmet is well thought out, especially that of its application expandability. While we don't know some of the more important specs, I doubt that its weight will be a non-feature. On long rides I've found it pleasing to have my phone, music, and GPS wirelessly linked to the respective devices (use them if you want, or don't!), having the choice is a plus in my book. I don't find the initial price to be out of whack, purchase a $1k helmet coupled with a wireless collar or bluetooth mic/speaker unit and tell me what that costs (no rear view cam though).

Kinda cool, but I don't necessarily need or want one at this juncture.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Sometimes ... I find myself on a (track) Bike that is (reg) Legal and it is without Mirrors -
The Horror ! I've ridden this way a lot -
Sometimes, I'll move my ass to the right - so I can maintain throttle - and look around me - I do it a lot - Situational awareness -
With this technology -somethings go away !

·
Never Grow Up
538 Posts
akaMomo - I'm looking forward to your review once you've had this for awhile. It is certainly the future of helmet offerings. The electronics will get smaller, the weight lighter, the cost lower over time. Sounds like fun !

·
Official Retired Person
7,167 Posts
I'd like to know just how stable the image really is. Seems to me that screen image will be vibrating around a lot.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,172 Posts
I've noticed several helmets on the market, like this one, that have an extended and pointed chin bar. I've broken my sternum from contact with the helmet chin bar and this styling trend worries me.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
I've noticed several helmets on the market, like this one, that have an extended and pointed chin bar. I've broken my sternum from contact with the helmet chin bar and this styling trend worries me.
Mike - clearly, you need calcium supplements - and stronger bones - :)

21 - 40 of 135 Posts