Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode home on Hwy 26 yesterday. They've scraped up the top layer of asphault so the road is grooved. There's also debris and a golf-ball sized chunk flew through the air and hit me on the head -- thank goodness I was wearing a helmet (black and white chip on top of helmet):

Then this morning a yellow-jacket decided to kamikaze into my neck. I felt the hit of a bug and a little wiggling under my collar so I quickly jabbed the left side of my neck but I couldn't quite get to the critter with my winter gloves on (55-F this morning, a little over 90 coming home (I wear summer gloves going home)). I quickly pulled over on a side street and stripped my top layers off. Plip! There was the semi-crushed but still wiggling body of a yellow-jacket :mad: I felt some warmth but no pain so I re-dressed and rode to work. When I looked in the mirror I saw that I did get stung:

I actually got stung twice! Surprisingly enough I didn't feel any pain and after a couple hours the minor swelling went down. Now it's just two red spots on my neck (I'm not allergic to 'em).

I'm hoping there won't be a day three incident...

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Man about 2 years ago I hit what looked like a june bug or large bee doing about 60, right in the chin/neck (open face helmet). It hurt like a bitch but didn't leave a mark, so I left it alone. Next day it had swollen up to the size of an egg, apparently infected according to the doc. His guess was it bit me and flew off, but I like to think I smashed it hard enough for a killing blow ;) Doc drained it, gave me some antibiotics, and a couple days later it was gone.
That was when I switched to a full face helmet.

Glad that, all things considered, you aren't too much worse for the wear. I'm sure thing's will pick up from here.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Bad news comes in threes. :(

Stay home tomorrow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nasty, whats a yellow jacket?

Well i was riding home today on the freeway and i had to literally hug the tank to avoid a pigeon. I only just got under the bird as it took off from snacking on something off the freeway. At 120 km/hr a face full of pij would have sucked.

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
A yellow jacket is a bee...
My boss got stung and his eyes almost swelled shut...

We laughed , he didn't...

Wifey had a bee go down her shirt , She started dancing...

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nasty, whats a yellow jacket?
Wiki info.

Well i was riding home today on the freeway and i had to literally hug the tank to avoid a pigeon. I only just got under the bird as it took off from snacking on something off the freeway. At 120 km/hr a face full of pij would have sucked.
Yes, a bird would've been like the insect and rock hitting you at once...and then some!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hey ACN, sorry about the damage to the helmet, that sucks!

Linda got somethng nasty up her jacket sleeve TWICE coming back from Canada!! It was hotter than hell and we're standing on the edge of a 2-laner trying to peel her jacket off... not fun.:(

On the other hand, isn't the other side of 26 with the fresh pavement nice?

And not to threadjack, but, are we getting PDX riders together? PM me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few months ago! I was at a red light and I felt something crawling up my neck, I tried to get it off but it stung right when I grabbed it. Unfortunately I was on the way to a job interview, so I showed up with a huge red spot on my neck and my eyes all puffy.
Still got the job though!

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And not to threadjack, but, are we getting PDX riders together? PM me.
Yes, hmm, I need to talk to my scheduler and see when I have some free time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
...Then this morning a yellow-jacket decided to kamikaze into my neck. I felt the hit of a bug and a little wiggling under my collar so I quickly...
I hate that feeling - I took a bee right in the neck on my '75 CB550 cruising through a Texas back road - I swore I hit it so hard its head went under my skin, but I haven't gained any supernatural powers so I guess not...

June bugs are the worst though... may as well get hit by a baseball

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had my worst 'off' when a wasp stung me in the face when I was 17 riding my GSX400 on holiday with my mates down in Cornwall. I looked down at the 'yellow jacket' instead of looking where I was going, drifted across to the other side of the road then laid it down, just stopping before an oncoming car.
Got away with it virtually unscathed, like you do when you're in your teens!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
12,507 Posts
We used to get FISH FLIES up here ..they would splat and make a mess , You could smell them cooking on the engine...
There would be flocks(?) clouds of them ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts