Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners that have the "2 wire" single phase charging system on 95-98 748-916 series bikes are familiar with the huge load placed on the wire harness from the generator to regulator/rectifier. The result is often this or worse.

98' 748 with 6k miles

And this often leads to the begining of many electrical gremlins on these year bikes. The wire is under sized. Its thin silver stranded 16-18 gauge.

After mine melted I did a quick fix with a jumper and now I have pulled the generator to rewire the whole system. I am using GM weather pak fittings, similar to the OEM Ducati connectors. I have upgraded the wire to 14 gauge type SXL crosslink wire. SXL is a high temp, chemical resistant wire. (SXL wire is used on fire engines) Much better than OEM. I have finished the harness off with high temp split loom. You could also use some Thermo-Tec insulation.

Here is the generator after I soldered the 14g wire to the existing mounts.

The R/R with Weatherpak connections. Here is the hard part if you want to use Weatherpaks, you will need some expensive crimping tools. Or send it to me and I can build you the harness for a small fee.
I have ran this setup with the jumper pictured and after 2000 miles no electrical problems, no melted wires.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do you know the current rating of the weather-pak your using? How about the pin dia? I have used those on my race bike wire harness but the ones I have look inadequate in the current handling department. A lot of the problems I have seen with these systems is due to overheating that seems a product of corrosion that caused a high resistance connection and the heat generated from that caused the melt down or even short. The weather-pak connectors have a very good contact mechanism as well as rubber seals so they would be great providing they can carry the load.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weatherpak connections that I am using are the GM (General Motors) type, there are ford type, etc.. I have used these same connections for my wire harnesses that I built when I was building fire engines. The fire engine harnesses often carried 50+ Amps and I never had any failures. I belive the generator is 350 watts.

So 350w /12 V = 30 amps though the 16" harness.

I havent seen any specs for the load on the pins or connections, the main factor is the gauge of the wire.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Connectors for wires

Another source for connectors and wire that can carry a significant electrical load would be your local Hobby SHop.
Todays electric powered models use pretty high tech batetries and motor controllers and the connectors they use could be easily adapted to rewire a rotor.
These connectors dont usually require any type of expensive crimping tools and can be had for a reasonable price.
They are sold under several brand names in Male and Female packages...
Many of them are weather resistant
Also,these connectors tout their low loss characteristics ...
The Hobby Shops that have a good electric Models range of poroducts also handle very flexible multible strand flexible wire in reasonable lengths.
Hope this helps.
Mike S
1996 Ducati 900SSCR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts