Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some time at the shop today, so I rearranged the angle and I think it turned out pretty good. This is a 2.5" diameter exhaust that will slip on to the stock header to help save costs. I am still waiting on the machine shop to get the head flanges to me, then I will work on doing a full head back. I need to start working on the other side now. Let me know what you think...

Dual 60° pie cuts to get the angle more flat

front view, it has the clearance from the chain, kick stand, swing arm travel, & rear passenger peg.

I still need to fab up my hanger.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Does it go any higher ? , cos i,d rip that mother off 1st jump i went over going through the trough of bowland...

Fair play to you tho, you will no doubt be doing road testing when finished , so any probs you will sort later. The thing with one offs is they sometimes dont always work 1st time....Even the big boys had to start somewhere and lets be honest, the fighter still does,nt run right so after all this time Ducati are still playing at it

·
Bon Vivant
11,230 Posts
I have to hand it to you for listening to all the critics and making changes without getting hurt feelings.

Good work! it's your bike so as long as you like it...

Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
In my eyes, it is an improvement of the SF.

I just never got used to those stock big twin exhausts low on the side.

Another option is GP style...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd worry about it being too low and getting ripped off. I'd like to see the finished product.

I know one things for sure..... gotta get rid of that stock license plate holder!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Great to see you having a go and thanks for posting. I am sure you will check your ground clearance and for me I think the end is a little too vertical or steep but looks like you've got the skills and gear. Wish I had a workshop like that! Looks great from the rear.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Like others mentioned, I'd be concerned about ground clearance...otherwise, pretty cool...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that is a very good concern of course! I think the pictures make it look like the bends our outside of the rearset. If you take a look at the 3rd pic from my original post you will see that the bends are actually below the bike. But like anyone that has been tossed on their head (32 times), if there is anything that can be done to make sure that its rider error and not mechanical, then you betcha I will work it out. So I leaned the bike over as far as I could ~ 38° which puts it the chicken strips, but not 100% lean angle. At 38° I had 65mm/2.5" ground clearance which for the street would be ample. You would need an extreme off camber turn with gator teeth to actual make contact. Now mind you this measurement was taking without the can supported, so it will have more clearance once its secured.
The head pipe is inside the kickstand although it apears completely below it.

2.5" clearance without can secured, it moves ~ 1 inch up when moved to where it will be secured.

Thanks for the feedback, I dont mind others input as if I did I wouldnt post pix.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I like the can. Did you make that or can it be bought ?
Blackie, PM me and I can let you know the story on the cans. They are of the finest stainless steel and packing material as well as assembly.

I apologize for the blurry pix, my camera phone needs tons of lite to take clear shots. It's the easiest way to get the pix up, I will take some more pix with a real digital when I get back to the shop on the 3rd of dec.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
One thing that is often forgotten on a simple lean test like this is the affects of suspension compression and decrease in ride height. The SF will scrape its lowers on the track because of this. Might affect your pipe.

I like the angle of the can you have sorted. I think the gap I see between the pipe and the swingarm looks a bit unsightly for lack of a better word. I think if you could somehow tuck the pipe up a bit more it would look a bit more finished. This would also require a few extra bends and affect the pipe length but would be a visual improvement.

Really like the can as well. Can't wait to se the finished product.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a very good point and like mention by others, it will need to be road tested to really verify that under load. I will need to put it on track as well to verify the clearance under race speed. The down side to routing out the left side is the buldge of the swingarm on this side. It doesnt help that I am using 2.5" pipe, it can easily be mended by running 2" pipe in the fab process, as this is all being sent out to a mandrel bender for a one piece solution.

Which part in the clearance between the swingarm and pipe do you not like? Which picture are you referring to?

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
When looking at the first picture of the first post, the gap between the pipe and swingarm leaves a space that looks like it needs to be filled. As it is, the pipe sits just below the kickstand from that angle, then there is a large space between that, the chain and the swingarm. If the pipe followed the engine and stayed tucked closer, that space would be filled and would seem more natural (in my opinion)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see where you mean. That is where I will be tieing in the other header so it will have more tubing there. I will see how I can address that when I start fabing that side. Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice work so far.... Innovation is great thing.
One question on the angle of the can and why so high? Could you not level it off some?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE!

So I finally found the time with the 20 other projects I am working on, to finish the SF. I close my shop in Feb, so now I have some more time to get my stuff done. Since it is getting warm and I dont want to miss out, I decided to abort the single can per side as I wasnt happy with the lack of room on the left side. So, I decided to run them out the same side on the right. I just finished this today after about 2 weeks of on/off again fab'n. I ended up making pretty much every bend but two myself. For time sake, I decided since I already had the parts to make a single can, I would just start there and make it as such that I can add the dual smaller cans later when I have some more time to fab. Let me know what you think.

I needed a 180 with a very tight radius:

Here it is against a proper mandrel 180:

I needed to make this jig to make cuts length wise so I could make my "Y" pipe, all of my other cuts I did on my vertical bandsaw as it cuts much smoother:

TaDA!

Here is how I mocked everypiece up before I would weld it.

Then I would pull it down and do a final weld.

I just needed to fab up the upspout to bring it up from under the swingarm, but I needed to 1st build the muffler and mount it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
right side downpipe. It is much larger than stock, however it is less intrusive. I only used the short flange piece from stock and slip fitted it to my pipe. I also did the same on the other bank.

Here is the carbon fiber muffler I built. It consists of an 18" tube and 62mm throughfare ~2.5" I couldnt tell if it looked a little long as I couldnt back up far enough from it to get a good visual. If it looks too long, I will cut it down. It is packed with stainless steel wool wrapped around the center core, then about and inch of tightly wound fiberglass with a top layer of heat resistant aluminum to protect the carbon sleeve.

these pics are just showing the can and not how it was final fitted. I didnt get a pic of it when finished...I took VIDEO instead.

finished collector pipes. All 2.5" 304L SS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick look around:

and of course the Sound....of course my Droid's mic couldnt capture how deep it sounds, but it sounds very deep and much meaner than the Term slip-on's.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts