Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't know a whole lot about the interaction between the ECU and the red key, but here is my situation:

I have a 2007 ST3. After I bought it, I had the DP exhaust kit (complete with air filter and ECU) installed by a dealer. I don't know if they programmed it to the red key or whether it's still a virgin.

(My understanding -- which may be completely wrong -- is that somehow after installing a virgin ECU if you then insert the red key and turn it on (?) for a while that somehow the ECU becomes programmed to that bike; please fill me in if I have that wrong!)

Anyway, I am looking to sell my ST3 (hey, I bought an 1198S) or, if I don't get a good enough price, at least selling off some of the components like the exhaust kit. Is there some way I can tell if my ECU is still virgin? Or does the dealer have to fill me in?

Thanks in advance. (Tried "search" but couldn't find anything>)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would think that if you had an unprogrammed aftermarket or oem cut to fit the ignition and the bike started then no the ecu was not programmed with the red key and all is well.
The aftermarket keys have a removable chip in them, if you already have one of these keys just remove the chip and give it a try.

I made the mistake of having extra keys coded after installing the dp kit also and it was not needed.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you have a friend that has the same model, remove the ECU from your bike, install it on the other bike, and try to give it a start. If it fires up, then it isn't red keyed.

Pretty easy, you just need to find a "sister bike."

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts