Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to a machine shop to ask about it they said they couldn't do it because of the left side of the cylinder is not removable so he can't bore all the way through. I don't know if he was full of it but I want to try the 1098 heads because I found them for a really good price

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked the machine shop if they could do the line bore he said he couldn't because the head is cast in one piece idk if that's true or not but I found a set of heads for a fairly cheap price so I wanted to give it a go

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'm going to grab them then thanks a lot for the input I'll keep everyone posted on the project
1098 heads comes cheap these days, better get a fresh set than mending agreed.
1098 heads are 3cc less than 1198 so youll have a bump in compression, check piston to valve clearance and you need to grind the head gasket a bit as the water channels differ slightly from the 1198 jugs to 1098 heads. Bon chance!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Waiting on the mailman for the heads ? What do you suggest I use to grind the heads down is a dremmel tool ok
I think TomTom was talking about double checking the passage where coolant flows from the head to the jug, or vice versa. They may be slightly offset when putting the 1098 heads on the 1198. The gasket would need to be opened up to accommodate the offset and not block flow. You should be able to open it up with a jewelers file. (A small file)

Head gaskets I meant. And how do I go about checking the piston to valve clearance I've never done it
Typically use a very thin piece of clay in the valve pocket of the piston. With the piston at TDC, slowly turn the cam through 1 full revolution to see if it will turn over without locking up when the valve hits the piston. You can check it before you use the clay if you're really worried about interference. Just a lot of hassle bolting and unbolting the head. We use to look for 2mm on intakes and 3mm on exhaust on big jap fours.

TomTom may have a different suggestion for a hotted up Ducati EVO motor.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Piston to valve clearance: There are many ways, the one I prefer is measuring valve movement, ie valve lift and a degree wheel.For intakes: Measure lift with belts on at 10 degrees after TDC, then without moving the crank remove belt and turn the cam by hand until it hits the piston, difference between the two measurement is your clearance.
For exhausts same but the tight spot will be around ten degrees prior to TDC.
You need summat like 1.3mm on the intakes and 1.7-ish mm on the exhausts to be safe.

I havent tried fitting 1098 heads to 1198 jugs, but I would think it is easier to modify the water passages on an 1198 gasket rather than taking the 1098 gasket up to 106mm. Jugs and/or heads need some tweaking too, nothing major and can be done as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got the heads in and placed the gasket on it I see where it needs to be shaved out with the file as far as the water jackets and oil passage do they need to be modified and how would I go about doing it I just want to make sure they line up with the jugs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have picture trying to figure out how to up load them another thought I had was switching to 1098 jugs and opening them up to 106 mm to match the piston so the channels match up properly although it does seem a little much if I can use the existing I'd rather do that

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tom
earlier in this thread you mentioned that you were doing another 1142 with R cams. How did it go?

thanks for the amazing info as usual!!

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
222 Posts
So I’ve read as many of these 1198 swap articles for the 1100. I think I’m going to start picking up the parts to try my own. Is there a specific 1198 motor that’s easier to swap into the hyper? There’s so many different people doing it slightly different ways. I was gonna look for a 1100s rolling chassis or evo sp if I’m lucky, and then which year 1198 should I find? Any recommendations on which bike / motor is the easiest swap? It seems the 1198 will have plenty of power so once it’s functional I doubt I’ll change much but my current 1100 evo sp as fun as it is, is just lacking slightly in the power department and I’ve done all the bolt ons I can do without entering big bore territory or head work. Plus I think this
Would be a fun project for me and my friends. We’ve all got garages. Is there a comprehensive write up somewhere? Also what parts should I start looking for now as I am in no rush and this will be a winter project. Appreciate the help. Will probably make this a track bike or if I really like it make a few more and sell to my friends. Any tips? Thanks guys

41 - 55 of 55 Posts