Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after erroneously being sent a set of SIL Motor c/f oval no baffle slip-ons for an ST4 and having to exchange them for a set for an ST3, I was finally able to slip them on this eve. They fit very well, with no problems other than to re-set slightly the adjustable hanger to match the threaded hole in the luggage bracket. They are very well made re fit and finish, and sound way cool. Nice deep rumble at idle, and it doesn't take many revs to get 'em singing. I'm a very happy camper to say the least, now that I can hear my baby purr like she was meant to. Sounds sexier than my old Harley with full stepped header pipes. I hope to get a dyno run in next month just to see how they pull but I'm holding-off on any PCIII/Techlusion until I run it a bit to hear how it sounds on decell etc, as I'm not making air box mods right now. I can hardly wait to go for a spin and get it up to red line. Yeeehaa! Oh ya, forgot to mention, the stock canisters weigh approx 11 lbs each, the SILs, *maybe* 2 lbs! That's a *significant* weight savings IMO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
stryder said:
Well, after erroneously being sent a set of SIL Motor c/f oval no baffle slip-ons for an ST4 and having to exchange them for a set for an ST3, I was finally able to slip them on this eve. They fit very well, with no problems other than to re-set slightly the adjustable hanger to match the threaded hole in the luggage bracket. They are very well made re fit and finish, and sound way cool. Nice deep rumble at idle, and it doesn't take many revs to get 'em singing. I'm a very happy camper to say the least, now that I can hear my baby purr like she was meant to. Sounds sexier than my old Harley with full stepped header pipes. I hope to get a dyno run in next month just to see how they pull but I'm holding-off on any PCIII/Techlusion until I run it a bit to hear how it sounds on decell etc, as I'm not making air box mods right now. I can hardly wait to go for a spin and get it up to red line. Yeeehaa! Oh ya, forgot to mention, the stock canisters weigh approx 11 lbs each, the SILs, *maybe* 2 lbs! That's a *significant* weight savings IMO.
GIDDY UP!!!! GO FOR IT FRANK!!!!

ALLEN

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a chance to take her out with the Sil's and put the coals to her. *Very* nice. Not as loud as I thought they'd be when "on the pipe". They are noticeably louder than stock when idling, and cruising around town. Nice "authoritative" rumble, and a sexy intake snort between shifts. Oddly, I can hear the desmos much more than with the heavy stock Remus cans. Personally, I find them about a 7 on a loudness scale, if 10 was obnoxious. But more importantly, I noticed no glitches in fuel metering, nor any popping on decel, and I cannot detect any dips. She runs and pulls just as smoothly as with the stockers, and I'd *like* to say my SOP dyno detects better middle range pick-up, which could be attributable to the substantial weight savings. And, they look great as well. I see now what people mean when they refer to carbon fiber as Italian chrome: I need more!

I live in southern Ontario. I ordered them from LoudBike in Ottawa, (Steve) and then dealt directly with Eurocorsa Performance, the distributer, (Mark) in Scarborough to get the right set. Very happy with their service re correcting the shipping glitch. 1100.00 cdn, tax and delivery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great review, Frank. I'm still waiting on my ST3S to be delivered sometime by the end of this month. I have also ordered the SIL pipes and I'm looking forward to experiencing the sound on my first Ducati.

Cheers

Keith

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind Keith, my comments on the SIL's refer to a '05 ST3. The '06 ST3 and ST3s have a new, and very different efi system, ie closed loop with a lambda O2 sensor, so your carburetion experience may be altogether different, and you may have to custom map a PCIII on a dyno, but maybe not.

Congrats on the new ST3s. Great bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered a set of the Sils for my ST4s from Carpimoto this week. Total price for the pipes plus a Rizoma clutch pressure plate (including shipping) was 680 Euro. That's about $820 U.S.

I would guess that if you just ordered the pipes the cost including delivery would be under $700 U.S. I checked the site and ST3 and ST4 pipes are the same price.

http://www.carpimoto.com/

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not to burst anyones bubble here, because I REALLY like my Sil cans. Haven't heard anything that sounds better, IMO. But...
I may be selling mine, less thn a year old. Titanium, oval, beautiful, removable baffles (used only to hear the difference), etc.

But the sale is dependent on another set of pipes I am trying to get. Ping me if there's interest. Only looking to break even on anoher purchase. Hint: It'll be way less and $825.

The reason? I simply prefer round cans to oval. Personal preference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kramer said:
Not to burst anyones bubble here, because I REALLY like my Sil cans. Haven't heard anything that sounds better, IMO. But...
I may be selling mine, less thn a year old. Titanium, oval, beautiful, removable baffles (used only to hear the difference), etc.

But the sale is dependent on another set of pipes I am trying to get. Ping me if there's interest. Only looking to break even on anoher purchase. Hint: It'll be way less and $825.

The reason? I simply prefer round cans to oval. Personal preference.
Remus Titaniun ..... only sound you need !!! IMOP :D

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Sils arrived from Carpimoto and they look great. Installation was a piece of cake. I'll post some pics in a couple of days for those of you who may be considering a set for your bike.

For those that have them, what is the easiest way to remove the "db killer baffle"? It looks like it is held in place with a c-ring type retainer in place on the inside lip of the exhaust tip. There were no instructions in the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts