Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably one of the dumber questions I've asked but here goes:

Earlier this year my MTS (2013 PP) started giving me trouble with starting in that it kept requiring me to enter my PIN code. It eventually got to the point where it would only start by me using the PIN. Because my fuel gauge is on the fritz for past year, i thought this was a software issue. Yesterday, I went to take the bike out and the key was nowhere to be found but I was still able to start the bike with the PIN.

Here's the dumb part of my question. I thought that the key had to be within so many feet of the bike in order for it to start, so I thought my key must've fallen out in the garage. I spent an hour looking for it when the light bulb went off. I realized that I never need my key to start the bike as long as I use the PIN. Is that correct? I took the bike out and went for a 200 mile ride, all without the key fob. I brought the red key with me so I could fuel up.

Am I correct that you do not need the transponder key if you use the PIN?

Do I just take the red key to any dealer to get a new key? Do I need to bring the bike? What can I expect to pay for the key fob (I've seen various prices from $87 to $168 on this forum.

I'm assuming now that the reason I had to use my PIN even when I had my key is that the battery in the key was probably dead, so it was like I had no key at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
You don't need the key if you use the code. I think the red key is $80'ish to replace... For some reason i was thinking the fob was a LOT more... More like $1000 not $100.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right after the first battery change on mine (2013), the fob started using a battery every two weeks. Dealer couldn't do anything but replace it. It cost me (I think) between $250 and $300 (Canadian) for a new one. That was for a new fob without the key!

Based on that you'll need to get a new key cut to fit the fob (probably has to be ordered through Ducati) and the fob (if it is FUBAR). I'd also check with the dealer to see if they need the bike when programming the fob ... wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Good luck - something that money will buy in this case.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You don't need the key if you use the code. I think the red key is $80'ish to replace... For some reason i was thinking the fob was a LOT more... More like $1000 not $100.
The red key requires proof of ownership/registration to get a replacement, though, doesn't it? That has to come from Italy probably, since the red key is basically your proof of ownership - I've always heard/read "never, ever, ever lose your red key". :)

And to OP: Yes the bike will start/run without the key using the PIN, it's meant to be that way if the batt dies / you lose your key if you're ever on a road trip somewhere and can't get a replacement. Wish they had thought of a PIN code (or using the actual KEY) for the electronic gas cap!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 15 Multi. Does the pin also work on my bike and where do I get the pin. I got a fob and a red key but no one said anything about a PIN number.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Assuming that the bike was new to you, and that no previous owner set up a PIN already, the instructions are in the manual for how to choose and enter your own PIN.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The bike is new. I've had it 2 weeks. I will read the manual and set it up. Thanks. I thought it was like my car. They gave me the pin to open the doors.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The bike is new. I've had it 2 weeks. I will read the manual and set it up. Thanks. I thought it was like my car. They gave me the pin to open the doors.
I think the default is usually set to the last 4 digits of the PIN or is 0000 or 1234 or something, but yeah, you can set it yourself via the instruction manual. Did you dealer give you a delivery procedure where they went over the features, the dash options, settings, etc? They're supposed to cover that. :)

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I have a 15 Multi. Does the pin also work on my bike and where do I get the pin. I got a fob and a red key but no one said anything about a PIN number.
The dealer SHOULD have walked you through setting the PIN when you picked up the bike.

Reactions: Fultank

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is probably one of the dumber questions I've asked but here goes:

Earlier this year my MTS (2013 PP) started giving me trouble with starting in that it kept requiring me to enter my PIN code. It eventually got to the point where it would only start by me using the PIN. Because my fel gauge is on the fritz for past year, i thought this was a software issue. Yesterday, I went to take the bike out and the key was nowhere to be found but I was still able to start the bike with the PIN.

Here's the dumb part of my question. I thought that the key had to be within so many feet of the bike in order for it to start, so I thought my key must've fallen out in the garage. I spent an hour looking for it when the light bulb went off. I realized that I never need my key to start the bike as long as I use the PIN. Is that correct? I took the bike out and went for a 200 mile ride, all without the key fob. I brought the red key with me so I could fuel up.

Am I correct that you do not need the transponder key if you use the PIN?

Do I just take the red key to any dealer to get a new key? Do I need to bring the bike? What can I expect to pay for the key fob (I've seen various prices from $87 to $168 on this forum.

I'm assuming now that the reason I had to use my PIN even when I had my key is that the battery in the key was probably dead, so it was like I had no key at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A quicker way to start the bike with a dead battery or with the red key is...
Holding the red key or the black key with the dead battery on top of the dash and start up.
Entering the pin takes to long...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A quicker way to start the bike with a dead battery or with the red key is...

Holding the red key or the black key with the dead battery on top of the dash and start up.

Entering the pin takes to long...

I did not know that there is a transponder in the red key. Where does the battery go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
No Battery Nuclear Infested...

The dealer would be with some of us for hours and hours explaining all there is to Know...
My dealer couldn't get the pin going with his green "Mechanic" .

I use batteries from a high volume store and buy brand name batteries Always have a spare with the bike somewhere.

There are keys from another lesser brand of bike Kawasaki? may fit.
$70 or so and a special cutting method.

My way of thinking goes ifin you buys a spare key you will never need it....

And look in the seat unlock if you can't find it anywhere after looking everywhere....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No Battery Nuclear Infested...

The dealer would be with some of us for hours and hours explaining all there is to Know...
My dealer couldn't get the pin going with his green "Mechanic" .

I use batteries from a high volume store and buy brand name batteries Always have a spare with the bike somewhere.

There are keys from another lesser brand of bike Kawasaki? may fit.
$70 or so and a special cutting method.

My way of thinking goes ifin you buys a spare key you will never need it....

And look in the seat unlock if you can't find it anywhere after looking everywhere....
First place I looked was at the seat-unlock. Nada. Not sure how I could have lost this key. Whenever I am on the bike, it goes in the little dash compartment and only comes out when I get gas. When I park the bike, it goes in a key drawer on the other side of the garage. It's making me crazt trying to figure out what happened.

I stopped by Rockwell Cycles on Sat. to ask about the key. They ran my VIN and said I was due for three recalls. They also said they would try and get the fuel senor though warranty, but told me they were very busy and to come back next week. I also need my rear brake bled, and probably a valve adjustment (bike just turned 14,000 miles). I have a feeling this is going to be a very expensive trip to the dealer.

I still am not able to locate any reliable source about what the a key fob replacement would cost.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
First place I looked was at the seat-unlock. Nada. Not sure how I could have lost this key. Whenever I am on the bike, it goes in the little dash compartment and only comes out when I get gas. When I park the bike, it goes in a key drawer on the other side of the garage. It's making me crazt trying to figure out what happened.
Be sure to check all your pants pockets before you do any more laundry...

I do sort of the same as you, except the key goes in the handlebar bag when I'm riding. One day I put the key down on the garage floor for something, and one of my dogs snatched it up while I wasn't looking and took it out to the back yard for a good chew. Fortunately I figured out what happened before he got started. Anything that goes missing in our garage, the back yard is the first place I look...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Be sure to check all your pants pockets before you do any more laundry...

I do sort of the same as you, except the key goes in the handlebar bag when I'm riding. One day I put the key down on the garage floor for something, and one of my dogs snatched it up while I wasn't looking and took it out to the back yard for a good chew. Fortunately I figured out what happened before he got started. Anything that goes missing in our garage, the back yard is the first place I look...
Good thing your dog didn't eat the key.
Otherwise you would have had to take the dog out riding in your backback to start the bike on the way until the dog shits the key out:wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Good thing your dog didn't eat the key.
Otherwise you would have had to take the dog out riding in your backback to start the bike on the way until the dog shits the key out:wink2:
Ouch!

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing I found out the hard way....If you have flashed your PCM with Tuneboy, your PIN code may no longer be active and IF you don't have a PIN code set, you will not have the option to enter the PIN in case you don't have your key!

You will need to go through set-up and set a new PIN after the flash.

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has anyone else had this experience with Tuneboy wiping an old PIN code? I did not receive the PIN code when I bought my multi used. I’m about to install TuneBoy cruise control. It would be nice if it reset the PIN so I could set me own.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Has anyone else had this experience with Tuneboy wiping an old PIN code? I did not receive the PIN code when I bought my multi used. I’m about to install TuneBoy cruise control. It would be nice if it reset the PIN so I could set me own.
I installed Tuneboy cruise control and my PIN stayed unchanged.

Per comments in this thread though, you can reset the PIN by referencing the manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, that kind of sucks in my case. Since I don’t know the original PIN, I haven’t been able to set a new PIN via the manual. Tried all the potential default PINs I can think of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts