Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a weird thing happen today as I was letting the 999 warm-up. I had not ridden the bike in a little over a week as it has been raining a lot and temps have been around 38-50 degrees. Anyway I pulled the bike out, started it, it failed on the first attempt, and then burst to life on the second try. Heres where it got strange; after the bike fired up I walked away to put the Hypermotard away and after about ten to fifteen seconds of run time the rattle from the clutch on the all of the sudden became evident. It was as if the 999 had no clutch noise and then all of the sudden it was there.

I thought the 999 sounded somewhat weird when I got it running but when all of the sudden the clack clack clack from the clutch appeared after ten or so seconds the light bulb turned on. The bike stalled once on me when coming to a stop but other than that it ran great. I have 7000 miles on the bike so far and its the original clutch. Anybody know if I should be concerned?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a similar occurrence with my 996. Do you have an open clutch cover? It doesn't take much moisture to get your clutch plates to start sticking together.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have an open cover and have noticed condensation on the outside of my bike the last couple of days.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That'll do it. I actually had to take mine apart on two separate occasions and let the plates dry. If you don't have a garage or shed you can keep it in at least keep it covered. You can cover the clutch with some saran wrap in a pinch until you get something more suitable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of my Ducs are in a 8x8 wooden shed and it is not temperature controlled. I suppose that after the 999 has been ridden and then put away with temps being 50-40 degrees condensation will form and this sort of thing could happen. Today may have been the last ride for the superbike as the forecast is looking grim. Should I do something about the clutch now or wait till spring? Thanks for your input mainframe.
Nick

·
Registered
395 Posts
If it going to be subjected to moisture I'd take care of it when you winterize your bike for the year. A couple of months worth of oxidation will not be kind to our clutch. If you have the original cover I'd go ahead and put it back on for the winter. If not, you can always pull the plates out and keep them in the house. Just put them someplace your wife/girlfriend won't complain about them ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
clutch plates get out of alighnment and take up the play in the basket after running or pulling in the clutch the first time they allighn and all the play is back causing the noise to come back

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
The stalling he mentions is what had me thinking it was moisture related. when the metallic compound of the clutch plates starts to oxidize to the friction plates, even if only a few of them do it, it keeps the clutch from fully disengaging. Mine would do the same thing on damp dewey mornings if I hadn't ridden the bike for a few days. After warming up it cleared itself up. It wasn't until it sat for a few days in the rain that I realized what was actually happening with the plates.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If it going to be subjected to moisture I'd take care of it when you winterize your bike for the year. A couple of months worth of oxidation will not be kind to our clutch. If you have the original cover I'd go ahead and put it back on for the winter. If not, you can always pull the plates out and keep them in the house. Just put them someplace your wife/girlfriend won't complain about them ;)
Better yet, put the bike in the living room like my dad used to do ;)
I wouldn't bother with taking the plates of to dry them. If they're only sticking from some water in there reving it and using the clutch lever a bit should cause them to stop sticking very quickly. I doubt this is causing it though. Tye's explanation sounds logical, however I haven't noticed this myself.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it never gets subjected to moisture other then the condensation that happens when the bike is hot and then cools down when temps are in the low 40's. I guess as long as the thing still works I'm all right?

I'm hoping to make it down to Omaha before the snow really flies to get the suspension set up (or just order ohlins for the bike ;) ) I'll mention it to the service tech and see what he has to say about it too.

I think mainframe has a good point about the moisture thing, as for the stalling I think the bike may be idling a little low as the RPM's are barley above 1K, the tard idles quite a bit higher. Probably get that checked out too.

Thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts