Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:d After Replacing Pack And Basket Then Looking At A Mountain Of Exotic And Expensive Clutch Mods To Try And Quell The Clatter In My 907 I Tried The Two Extra Friction Plates Under Pack Mod ..

Instant Silence And Works Fine , Dropped Basket And Hub Off After 5000k To Check For Unusual Wear, Everything Looks Great ..

Bonus Is I Can Now Hear Other Mechanical Noises In Motor And Gearbox That Previously Were Impossible To Find ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quiet clutch

As far as I know it works on all DUCATI dry clutches .Ive attached a copy of the article I used to do this mod .. hope its usefull ..

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
gordon5904 said:
As far as I know it works on all DUCATI dry clutches .Ive attached a copy of the article I used to do this mod .. hope its usefull ..

I'm a bit confused after reading this article, Do you need to purchase a aftermarket clutch pack, or can I use the OEM pack, and just add two extra plates?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nasty Noise

redpato said:
I have a question...WHY? :)
If you have to ask why metal bashing against metal that thrashes a clutch basket to shreds every 12 months is a problem , you either love your spare parts dealer or hate your clutch ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
taylor said:
I'm a bit confused after reading this article, Do you need to purchase a aftermarket clutch pack, or can I use the OEM pack, and just add two extra plates?
I used the standard clutch pack and added 2 steel friction discs off an old pack I had laying around ........ the instructions sound complicated , but it is easy to work out when youve got the clutch apart in front of you ....I spent 2 days thinking about how to do it then when I finally had a go it only took 15 mins ..

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
873 Posts
gordon5904 said:
If you have to ask why metal bashing against metal that thrashes a clutch basket to shreds every 12 months is a problem , you either love your spare parts dealer or hate your clutch ..
12 months.??

I've had several Duc's with over 20K miles on original clutches..

·
Registered
141 Posts
flynfink said:
12 months.??

I guess it depends upon how much a person rides in a year. In Australia year round riding is the norm so 20k miles could easily come up in 12 months or less.

·
Banned
340 Posts
flynfink said:
12 months.??

Mine is at 13.5K now and zero clutch problems...2005 Multistrada 1000ds
:Edit: i have put 6500 miles on this since march of this year and i commute and do track days as well as Ride very aggressively in the mountains. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't Get Me Wrong

I think the dry clutch works fine and I know its great for racing
and even when the tabs baskets and hubs wear it still works well. My only problem was the noise I had a 900ss bevel and wasent too keen on its engine noise either , maybe Im just fussy but I prefer to hear a the induction roar and exaust note over a clutch rattle any day .

20k a year ? .. sorry I asumed every one did 30k a year ..

·
Registered
303 Posts
To each his own.

I've done the complete opposite. THE LOUDER THE BETTER. CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK... Clutch in... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLACK
:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Silent clutch

gordon5904 said:
:d After Replacing Pack And Basket Then Looking At A Mountain Of Exotic And Expensive Clutch Mods To Try And Quell The Clatter In My 907 I Tried The Two Extra Friction Plates Under Pack Mod ..

Instant Silence And Works Fine , Dropped Basket And Hub Off After 5000k To Check For Unusual Wear, Everything Looks Great ..

Bonus Is I Can Now Hear Other Mechanical Noises In Motor And Gearbox That Previously Were Impossible To Find ..
Brilliant mod, I've been sick of hearing people say "hey mister, which end does the cement come out of?"

I had installed a Barnett clutch pack previously and then a Barnett basket but it never really stayed quiet.

Now, the jangling clatter is still there when disengaged (which I like) but the nasty knocking is long gone. Shifts fine etc ; I don't forsee any problems but it's easy enough to rectify in any event. Top marks on this one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another variation / method of clutch noise-itis cure

Streuth, I have just discovered this post, it is a variation of an article I just put together on the topic, ie to stop the noisy rattle and extend the life heaps for all of about $50 - I have put my answer up on our local (Aussie) forum here: http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?topic=193

In essence I found using a Paso end plate is a technically better solution, but a critical part of the game is that, whatever you do, you need to deal with the square peg in round hole part of the problem.

This mod was originally done for me by the dealer, it was only after I got a few stalls after pitching forward (over probably 10,000km) that I pulled the thing to pieces and found out what was really going on. You can see photos of the stuff-up and the fix on the above site.

I swapped the clutch out to an STM Evoluzione 48T slipper to get the safety benefits, this was after around 50,000km on the Paso plate mod and I am sure that clutch has 20,000km or more left in it. Unfortunately this clutch rattles now! Although it works brilliantly in all other regards. Last weekend I had an idea how to make it shut up, which I had almost given up on the idea of having pulled it to pieces after about 1,000km specifically to see if I could get rid of the rattle - but like I said a new idea has formed..... (in essence to spring connect the rattly elements)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Individual Friction Plates

Great! Now the only problem is where are we supposed to get individual friction plates? My dealer only sells them by the full-set ($213 ouch). So it seems to me that the most economical option would be to get a set of Barnett plates from Desmo Times at ~$160, swap those in, and use two of the OEM friction plates for this mod.

Unless there's some gray market on individual duc friction plates out there that I don't know about. Anyone got two spares lying around? :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Interesting. Actually, I find my open clutch mod too quiet compared to the others. I want mine to be louder. I guess with only a total of 3000 miles, it will get louder when I accummulate more miles.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Tell you what mate... Look I'll do you a huge favour .. only coz I like you...

You send me your quiet clutch.. and I'll send you my LOUD clutch...

No need to thank me,.... It's the least I could do...

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Herky Jerky

The biggest improvement I noticed after the Mod was improved driveability in town and the lack of power pulse/driveline lash. I put my stock "muffler" cover on because of the racket at @ 3000 rpm in town. After the mod I could return to my 2/3 ventilated carbon cover and not feel everyones stare at the bike that is out of oil. I've since done this mod to others machines and all were eternally thankful, including some neighbors who didn't appreciate proper warm ups.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Find it amusing that anyone who is so offended by the music of a dry clutch would purchase a motorcycle that housed said offensive item....

·
Registered
122 Posts
To each his own.

I've done the complete opposite. THE LOUDER THE BETTER. CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK... Clutch in... CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLACK
:D
Yep, I'm with you.
Louder the better it really gets 'other' motorcycle riders talking when they hear it. I love it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts