Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a pair of Sil Moto CF mufflers from Motowheels. These are for an '05 SS1000DS and they are oval. I am having one hell of a time mounting them properly. First, the hangers supplied are round and don't conform easily to the shape of the cans. So getting a snug fit on the can (with rubber gasket as supplied) is just not happening. Second, no matter what I've tried I cannot get the brackets to align with the pillion pegs bracket so that I can fit the bracket on the inside of the pillion peg brackets. Is there a trick to this? I currently have them fitted to the outside of the pillion peg bracket and they seem secure. But, I'm sure this isn't the right way to do it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bruce - its hard to offer much advice without being there to see them, but I will say that my Remus high mount pipes are sometimes a little tricky to line up as well. I find that I have to slide them in and out of the midpipe until I hit just the right spot in order to get them attached. Are yours high mount or low mount?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Bruce,

Please take a picture of the partson or off the bike and send it to Ed at [email protected]. Let's make sure you received the correct parts first. We'll send the pics to Sil Moto to see if they packed the correct hangers. It does not sound correct to have round hanges with oval cans.

-M

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce,

Please take a picture of the partson or off the bike and send it to Ed at [email protected]. Let's make sure you received the correct parts first. We'll send the pics to Sil Moto to see if they packed the correct hangers. It does not sound correct to have round hanges with oval cans.

-M
I've sent some pics to Ed at your suggestion. Not sure how good the pics are but I did the best I could. Thanks.

·
Vendor
423 Posts
I just received a pair of Sil Moto CF mufflers from Motowheels. These are for an '05 SS1000DS and they are oval. I am having one hell of a time mounting them properly. First, the hangers supplied are round and don't conform easily to the shape of the cans. So getting a snug fit on the can (with rubber gasket as supplied) is just not happening. Second, no matter what I've tried I cannot get the brackets to align with the pillion pegs bracket so that I can fit the bracket on the inside of the pillion peg brackets. Is there a trick to this? I currently have them fitted to the outside of the pillion peg bracket and they seem secure. But, I'm sure this isn't the right way to do it.
I checked another system that we have in stock. First check the circumference of your muffler. I measured our muffler at approx 15" circumference. The interior of the band is just shorter than 15". If you band measures several inches longer on the interior, than you may have a gap. If the muffler and band measurement are less than an inch difference I don't understand why you have a gap. The only space you should have is at the top where the two band ends come together. Make sure you re-use your factory mounting fasteners as needed.

The hangers are round but with the rubber gasket installed, they will wrap around the oval body with little effort. Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

See pix

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
i just mounted some ovals that came with round clamps. at first i cursed and swore and figured i would have to wait and get proper ones.

i bent the tabs(gently!-don't want stress risers) and used longer bolts to get everything connected so i could cinch the clamp together. worked like a dream, and they are nice and tight. once the clamp took a form, it tended to not be so hard to get back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts