Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking what the signs are for worn tires ? Bike has 5300 miles on front and about 3800 on rear .I'm running Pirelli Rosso II's. Rear tire has a bit if a flat spot all the way around in middle . Front tire seems fine. So I'm bringing this to the forum for thoughts and opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd look for little fine cracks (if the tire is getting old), or blueing (too many heat cycles), or cupping (front tire) or just the tread getting really low. Usually go through two rear tires for every front one...usually.

·
Registered
327 Posts
doesn't that tire have a wear bar? do you feel like you're losing traction on the back end?

i never rode those tires before but i know when i my Michelin 2CTs (on a different bike mind you) and the rear started to go i'd get the back end to slide when getting on the power...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just check the wear indicators. As soon as one indicator is out of the groove, you tire need replacement.
From what you are saying, you will kill the center part of your tire before the edges. You might want to consider harder compound like a Michelin Road 2 or equivalent.

That's a well used Rosso II, from side to side. You can see very well the indicators.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wish we had roads in FL I could actually wear a tire like that :(

Sadly I always end up with just a nice flat spot in the center all the way to wear bars.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just check the wear indicators. As soon as one indicator is out of the groove, you tire need replacement.
From what you are saying, you will kill the center part of your tire before the edges. You might want to consider harder compound like a Michelin Road 2 or equivalent.

That's a well used Rosso II, from side to side. You can see very well the indicators.
No chicken strips on that tire :p I thought about a show your rear tire thread:think:

·
Registered
309 Posts
When it looks like this it's time.........

We've got lots of windy roads here but no matter how hard I try I always end killing rears this way. I've been getting 4K out of my Diablo Rosso's . I just swapped this tire for a Diablo Rosso Coursa hope I get better millage out of it with it's harder compound center strip. Time and miles will tell. I replaced the front tire when I put on the rear that wore out. Since it's spent half it's life not in contact with the ground it'll last atleast the life of the new rear.... :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wish we had roads in FL I could actually wear a tire like that :(

Sadly I always end up with just a nice flat spot in the center all the way to wear bars.
I think you need to move to the left (right) coast and enjoy the twisties!

Michael

·
Registered
470 Posts
My fronts bridgestone 014 isp on the wear bars and cupping at 4400 miles...i got a set of bridgestone 016s w a hard compound in the center and soft on the edges for replacements. They have a sharper triangle shape. Hoping they turn in quickly. My son got some michelin pilot road2s for his bike and while theyre plenty sticky for street(hes relatively new to streetbikes and rides quick but conservative/safe) they look like they might get 8-10k miles!!!

I previously had issues with doing track days and severly blueing the tires(hot/sticky). That rubber than became hard and had noticeably less traction until i wore off the affected surface. I was buying race take offs for cheap and scuffing that rubber off on street rides...race tires are amazing to me as i can never get a front to push like a 'street' tire.

My rear was flat in the center but looked to have some life left in it. When i stopped for gas after 120 miles it looked like paokones w the cords/belts showing...i was surprised it went so quick.

The rears are fun cause once u know ur gonna replace it u can do a bunch of big burnouts!! Damn, it wont let me post my burnout movie??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts