Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont feel like explaining all the crap that is wrong with my bran new bike because I am so pissed off and dont want to type, so can I please get some answers to ' how do you know if your engine to a 749 has seized, and what are the signs??? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Usually, siezure is a general term for a couple of maladies...."simple" top end seizure means that too little oil or too much heat (usually from detonation, or from lack of coolent, or stuck thermostat) has caused the rings and piston skirts to seize in the bores. The motor slows under throttle and usually quits. If major damage has not occurred, the motor MAY restart after cooling down, accompanied by a lot of piston slap. If a major seizure occurs, the motor may not restart, or even crank over. Either way, you're looking at at least a top end tear-down/rebuild. More importantly, the cause of the problem needs to be determined. Hope your bike is still under warranty.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Seizure in an engine means a total mechanical lock. The first signs of which can be second degree burns on the rider.

Sounds like your dealer screwed up badly on the prep and that you have a legitimate warrantee issue. Document everything !

Dragon_Lady said:
I dont feel like explaining all the crap that is wrong with my bran new bike because I am so pissed off and dont want to type, so can I please get some answers to ' how do you know if your engine to a 749 has seized, and what are the signs??? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats all I needed to know and yes it's under warranty

·
Registered
63 Posts
Usually I think of "seized" as in totally froze up - i.e. the engine won't turn over. Even if it will turn over and start I would still be very concerned about riding it with little or no coolant. I think you said this was a city ride of about sixty miles - enough time to really toast an engine w/ no coolant. If the dealer sent a new bike out the door without coolant the I would be looking to them to make things right. They should thoroughly check out the engine including providing you with the results of compression and leak down tests. - Sorry, Bob

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If it's seized that's very bad news but it's almost certainly related to your overheating issue in your 'Burns On the inside of my legs' post, if so then at least it should be the dealers problem and not cost you.

Last time I had a bike seize it locked up the rear at about 60 - 70mph
it was well & truly seized, I had to use a big hammer to get the piston out the cylinder!.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dragon_Lady said:
Good golly, DL, I'm soooo sorry this happened (whatever it turns out to be). Read through some of my older posts on this forum and you'll find all the woes I've had related to both my Ducs. With the 900FE, the problems were 99.9% my own making. With the 748/853, it's been 99.9% electrical. I certainly understand your anger and frustration, though.

From now on, whenever I experience an electrical meltdown or something else relatively minor, I'll chant to myself, "It could've been worse..." and then come back here and read your post. :(

Best of luck to you -- I hope your dealer treats you right and that you don't run into headaches with Ducati NA.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have had a few bikes seize while riding over the many past years. I had a Norton Commando that I just restored and was riding up a long hill outside of San Luis Obispo, on the 101. About 50 yds before the crest of the hill, the bike started loosing power. I immediately pulled in the clutch and the bike died. I rolled off to the side of the rode and waited for about 10 minutes and let the bike cool off. I was able to move the kick start lever and so the pistons had freed up. I actually started the bike and could hear some knocking noises coming from one of the cylinders. I took off and rode all the way to LA and back to Sacramento. When I got home, I pulled the cylinders and one of the pistons was all scored up on the back side. I had to rehone the cylinder and replace the piston, and was back riding it again.

The other bike I seized was my CR 500, riding in the sand. One of the coolant hoses came loose, losing all coolant, and I rode it till it got so hot the piston seized solid in the cylinder. There was no freeing that one. Had to push the bike in sand back to camp (not fun). After I got the bike home, the top of the piston was all chewed up and had to rebore the cylinder and install a new one.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I hope the dealer covers it for you.

Mike

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not believe this is a fault on Ducati or they sell bad bikes, hell I'm going to ride a ducati till I die! I guess some people dont want their customers to come back. No problem!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do all Ducati dealers have to have licensed Ducati Mechanics?????????

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dragon_Lady said:
I do not believe this is a fault on Ducati or they sell bad bikes, hell I'm going to ride a ducati till I die! I guess some people dont want their customers to come back. No problem!
Trailer the bike down here to NorCal -- Martin will straighten it out while you're fawned over by the Sacramento Ducati Dudes. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try to get a new bike. If the engine seized, no need to tell you, it's a major problem. The engine will have to be completely torn apart and who knows if everything that's been affected will be replaced with new parts and put together to factory specifications. Peace of mind will be elusive after you get the repaired bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
slight jack (same issue though)

Dragon_Lady,
After having my 99 sportster sport for only 3 months, my engine blew(actually the front cylinder was cooked, along with a half-dollar size hole in the piston and bits dropping into the case). Due to a dumb-ass mechanic who put in to hot a plug(s).

Anyway, H-D only wanted to rebuild the engine, I said "NO". I wrote a registered letter to Jeffrey Bleaustein, and after much pestering(i.e; to pest; a bother) and phone calls to him, he called me back personally!! I told him I wanted a new motor, not rebuilt or reworked. Well, I did get a new motor out of it and it took some time.

I would not settle for anything less than a new engine, a complete new engine! If you can pull off a new bike, so much the better! It will take some persistence though.

Good luck,
Don

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
DL -- what exactly is happening... is the bike not starting?

Where you riding and the engine died?

What exactly... perhaps it is a cooling issue, related to the heat you were complaining about?

How many miles are on the bike?

I have a feeling there may be an error in prepping, like coolant or (gulp) oil... but it's too early to make assumption.

First things first... is there gas?

Next, check the Engine Stop button (red button beside the throttle)

Is it in Neutral? (I know these are basic, but this solved your problem before).

Most important, stand the bike upright, and look at the oil window on the right side facing the right footpeg... do you see oil??? Make sure the bike is upright and not resting on the kickstand, get a friend to hold it up for you.

If you don't see oil in the window ... BIG PROBLEM.

If yes, it may be lack of coolant, which explains the heat you were complaining about.

Let us know some details, perhaps we can make a quick assessment before you take it to the dealer for warranty. RECORD EVERY MOVE, MAKE DETAILED NOTES WITH SYMPTOM, WHAT YOU DID, DATE and TIME.

·
Registered
135 Posts
this is scarey.. we already know DL didnt have 'enough' coolant in her bike to start off, giving her skin burns.

did the engine overheat?
man. i'd want a new bike.. like the person who got the 'no coolant' bike from colemans. what are we paying PDI for then?

my new 999 is super hot as well, but engine temp never goes high. fan kicks in fine. and there's oil in the window. dealer said engine could be running lean since i'm still breaking her in.. this can be tuned at the 600mile service.

gonna run out and check my oil level again.. good luck!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok this is just getting stranger and stranger as time passes......
This is exactly what has happened.
First I get the bike bring it home first day and it doesnt start.
Second I get the dealer to come pick it up from my house, so they pick it up.
they then give me back the bike.
COOL NOW I CAN RIDE!
Third, I'm driving it around the first day and it overheats and puts burns/welts on the inside of my legs.I take it back and they apolagized because there was barley any coolent in it. So they fill it up and every thing is fine, no more heat problems.
Fourth, I was coming home from a ride last night and as I was driving the fan came on, I thought that was kind of strange seeing my temp was reading normal. Then all of a sudden the rpm meter freezes to the top of the 13 . So now my rpm meter is frozen and I dont know what rpm I'm doing, I just played it by ear when to switch gears. So I pulled over, turned off the bike and on again and still frozen. So I'm riding home and as I roll off the throttle it feels really slow like not picking up speed like it normaly does.
#5, I am riding home and decide to check my back breaks and nope just feels like I'm stepping on a sponge and it doest slow down what so ever. So yea absolutley no resistence with the breaks. NO BACK BREAKS to add to this mess.
So this fun fulled night turns out that I park the bike turn it off and go open the garage.I come back and turn the bike on to drive it up the driveway and it wont turn over , nothing, no lights, not a thing, it's dead.
So this is why I am asking about the engine being seized.
So I trey it twice today and nothing. just the green gauge light comes on where i can see my speed but usually it says 'ducati' and readings. It says nothing. So I just went to the garage turned the key and nothing, did it again and the stupid thing starts up. There is still no readings though like nothing. But it did start.
How strange is this whole thing.
I just bought a bran new bike I dont know how much they are in the states but I know my bill came to 23,000.00 w/my leathers. WOW! so many problems and not worth it for that money, I think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I guess it helps to have a ducati licensed mechanic on site fixing things!
I dont feel like I should have to deal with this crap.
I have gotten the run around so much i am tired of dealing with this. The purpose for to buy a new bike was because I didnt want to have a problem like my 2000R6 had and have to run down to the dealer every third day when some thing went on my bike, but I have made more trips to this damn dealer then my old bike within a week time.
Seeing we are in Canada and we have to wait all winter to have some fun this really sucks!
Anyways I have a gutt feeling that this bike is a lemon.
I want my money back! They did not deliver a working bike which was 2 months ago and it still doesnt work properly!!!!!!!
I am done with this dealer and with this bike!
I hate it.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

No. Only at the better dealers will you find minimum standards for Ducati competency in the service department.

Dragon_Lady said:
Do all Ducati dealers have to have licensed Ducati Mechanics?????????

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why should i spend half my summer/time/ in a damn dealership when I could be on the road riding, or maybe I am just not meant to ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I read your post about the extreme heat from your NEW bike. So, another thing you need to ask yourself is, did you continue to ride with any warning signs from the dash, ie. extreme high temperature. The handbook specifically says "When coolant temperature exceeds +125C/257F, a flashing 125C/257Ftemperature indication appears on the display and the amber EOBD light comes on".

1 - 20 of 60 Posts