Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did a search, no one has compared these 2 top of the line/price boots. I would really like to hear a comparison ;)

thanks !

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Heck, never even *seen* a pair of Dianese boots!

But I have the Corsa Vertigo's as well. They have been absolutely perfect EXCEPT that the soles wear down! Which, has been resolved with the new Vortice (soles are now replaceable).

And, I know 2 guys that work at Motonation (Sidi's importer). They wouldn't shut up about how incredibly awesome the new Vortice's were. There was only one small tiny little down side.......it takes just a tad longer to put the Vortice's on because you have 3 straps instead of the Corsa's two.

I can't comment on the Dianese's, but I will be picking up a pair of the Vortice's soon.

Also, for anyone that even cares, Vortice is pronounced Vor-tee-chay, emphasis on the 'chay'. It is not 'vor-teese'.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sidi

I would buy the SIDI with out a doubt. Fitting, Quality and off course looks.

Regards

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The axial is better in styling IMHO
This SIDI is overkill for me in almost every aspect for my needs.
One difference that you may need to know is the Axial is meant to be worn under the pants. The Velcro on the Axial helps to hold the pants down over the boots.
i have tried to wear the pants in the axials but it is impossible to close the zipper.

I believe the SIDI is for the pants to be worn in to the boots...over the pants...know what I mean?

I did go down wearing the axial and it protected my foot, heel and lower calf.
Thumbs up there.

Not sure what the price difference is but the Dainese tends to be costly.
Than being said the Axial is a older model and the prices may be lower by now.

all in all i think they both will protect. Just a matter of budget and style preference.

Good luck
JC

Hey guys,

I am a long time SIDI boot guy, looking to upgrade from my vertigo corsas. Does anyone have feedback on either of these boots? BOTH?

Thanks !

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a pair of Vortice's and I like them a lot. There has been discussion about the time required to put the boots on, but the difficulty is greatly exaggerated. I put my boots on in a minute or less.

The boots are comforatble and I really like the extra ankle protection. The vents work pretty well too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a pair of the Sidi, and find they are just great. I would second the time to get them on is very quick. They are comfortable and offer great protection. I even used the for a touring trip in weather from 41 to 96 degrees and found them comfortable for all day use. The venting even seems to work well. My favorite is everything is replaceable, how cool is that!

·
9,757 Posts
The axial is better in styling IMHO
This SIDI is overkill for me in almost every aspect for my needs.
One difference that you may need to know is the Axial is meant to be worn under the pants. The Velcro on the Axial helps to hold the pants down over the boots.
i have tried to wear the pants in the axials but it is impossible to close the zipper.

I believe the SIDI is for the pants to be worn in to the boots...over the pants...know what I mean?

I did go down wearing the axial and it protected my foot, heel and lower calf.
Thumbs up there.

Not sure what the price difference is but the Dainese tends to be costly.
Than being said the Axial is a older model and the prices may be lower by now.

all in all i think they both will protect. Just a matter of budget and style preference.

Good luck
JC
I think you're confusing the Axial with the Axial Race. IIRC the Axial Race is the version that is meant to be worn under dainese leathers, and the Axial is a regular boot that can be worn over the leathers.

That said, if your leathers are as form fitting as they should be at the lower leg area you can still squeeze a pair of axial races over them but it'll look dumb.

I have a pair of Dainese boots, and while they are of great quality, I can tell you right now that if you're looking for maximum protection and features the Vortice is the way to go.

One major attribute the Dainese boots have over the Sidis however is that you can put both boots on and then take them off in less time than it'll take you to put one Vortice on.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not at all confused.
Take a closer look at the picture that is posted above of the AXIAL "IN"
THE VELCRO TABS are for attaching to the inside of the pants.
The other axial "OUT" pictured below is the one to be worn over the pants

Believe me I have two pairs of the axial IN's
And yes you can tuck the pants in to the AXIAL "IN" but 1) it does look a bit odd and 2) It is a tight fit and it hardly zips up
Pants should be worn over the boots as it was intended by design.
and
Yes these Axial "IN"'s are easier to put on and take off.

You may also want to look at the Torque In or the OUT as they are the replacement model for the Axial
another great choice is the Puma desmo or the Puma 1000
The 1000 is closer to the SIDI you have mentioned the Desmo is more like the Axial.

JC

I think you're confusing the Axial with the Axial Race. IIRC the Axial Race is the version that is meant to be worn under dainese leathers, and the Axial is a regular boot that can be worn over the leathers.

That said, if your leathers are as form fitting as they should be at the lower leg area you can still squeeze a pair of axial races over them but it'll look dumb.

I have a pair of Dainese boots, and while they are of great quality, I can tell you right now that if you're looking for maximum protection and features the Vortice is the way to go.

One major attribute the Dainese boots have over the Sidis however is that you can put both boots on and then take them off in less time than it'll take you to put one Vortice on.

·
9,757 Posts
Not at all confused.
Take a closer look at the picture that is posted above of the AXIAL "IN"
THE VELCRO TABS are for attaching to the inside of the pants.
The other axial "OUT" pictured below is the one to be worn over the pants

Believe me I have two pairs of the axial IN's
And yes you can tuck the pants in to the AXIAL "IN" but 1) it does look a bit odd and 2) It is a tight fit and it hardly zips up
Pants should be worn over the boots as it was intended by design.
and
Yes these Axial "IN"'s are easier to put on and take off.

You may also want to look at the Torque In or the OUT as they are the replacement model for the Axial
another great choice is the Puma desmo or the Puma 1000
The 1000 is closer to the SIDI you have mentioned the Desmo is more like the Axial.

JC
You originally said that the Dainese Axial (http://www.dainese.me.uk/uploaded_images/dainese_axial_regular.jpg) was meant to be worn under the pants, which is not the case.

The Dainese Axial Race is designed to be worn under the pants (http://www.dainese.me.uk/uploaded_images/dainese_axial_race.jpg).

There's no axial in or out. The In/Out designation only applies to the Torque models, of which I have a pair of the In's.

Also, as an aside, the puma desmo 800's are not comparable to the axials. I had a pair and I sold them. They're comparable to hightop runners with toe sliders (no ankle retaining mechanism).

In any case, it's no big deal really.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a pair of Vortice's and I like them a lot. There has been discussion about the time required to put the boots on, but the difficulty is greatly exaggerated. I put my boots on in a minute or less.

The boots are comforatble and I really like the extra ankle protection. The vents work pretty well too.
It takes me about 5 minutes per boot. But I've only worn them twice. They are magnificent though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Dainese Torque Out boots. I love them. They recently saved me in an accident when the bike landed on my ankle. Walked away with only a sprain instead of a break. The ankle braces prevented more ankle movement. The boots fit great, are lighter than the Sidi's. I vote for Dainese always.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the Sidi Boots I love them :)

I love the vents on the side too. They may seem gimmicky but when you open them and you are doing like 55mph on the highway you really feel the cool air.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tried both a couple of days ago. I like the Dainese Axial Race styling better (especially since the Dainese leathers I use match up to the velcro and I can wear them over the boot - would be nice in the rain).

However, the Sidi Vortice is very comfortable and I will likely be buying the Vortice since I plan on doing endurance racing next year. The Axial could use more padding since the hard and relatively sharp edges of the carbon fiber ankle brace structure can hit your ankle area in the wrong spots. The boot felt comfortable on my left foot but somehow, the built-in ankle brace was creating a pressure point that would likely become painful over a full endurance stint. I will try fitting it again with my full race attire/leathers on and get on a bike to see they get more comfortable.

The Vortice takes longer to put on. It is not a boot that you want to be trying to put on quickly if you somehow missed the 5 minute call to grid and now rushing... There are about 7 steps (put foot in, pull hard on the strap to slide foot in, zip up, align outer boot flaps, hook in and adjust the 3 straps, with the rear needing to be hooked into 2 places and that's ONE boot) to put on one boot vs the Axial Race that effectively just needs 1 1/2 (slide foot in, quickly use velcro attachment for ankle support and zip up). With practice, I suspect you can get the Vortice on within 2 minutes, but you have to keep calm.

Pricewise - the Axial Race is $450 and the Vortice $475 so it's a wash on cost.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I ordered a set of vertigo corsa air's a couple of weeks ago, when i opened the box i found they send me the wrong ones: vortice air. Not complaining :)
So far I've used them for a track day and a couple of rides in my area. They have been great so far.
The vents let in plenty of air to keep your feet cool.
Also had them on during some light rain and they didn't let in any noticable amount of water (even with the vents open).
Traction on the stock pegs wasn't fantastic in the wet, but this is largely due to crappy grip with the stockers anyway.
Putting them on takes a bit of work, but imo it's not that bad: about 2 mins each boot.
They are offer great protection, but when you have them on you don't even notice the armor much even when walking. They don't make that bending plastic noise that so many race boots make.
I also had them on with jeans and it was possible to have your pants in the boot however it wasn't overly comfortable, haven't tried putting the jeans over the boot yet.

Imo they also look somewhat nicer then the vertigo's because they changed the colour of the plastic part on the rear from clear plastic to black.

About the dainese ones... never seen or had them on, imo they're ugly :p
Good luck deciding :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Leathers over boots only looks good on Rossi. Even that is questionable. I rather replace boots after a crash than leathers.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about how long it takes to put them on? I might take my boots off for lunch break at a trackday. If your boots are so uncomforable that you have to take them off every time you are off the bike, you bought a wrong boot. Besides I kind of like all the strapping down as I get ready for a ride with the Rocky theme song in the background. Tech (robocop) look is a plus for me. Anyways, on my way to Motowheels to get a pair today.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Leathers over boots only looks good on Rossi. Even that is questionable. I rather replace boots after a crash than leathers.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about how long it takes to put them on? I might take my boots off for lunch break at a trackday. If your boots are so uncomforable that you have to take them off every time you are off the bike, you bought a wrong boot. Besides I kind of like all the strapping down as I get ready for a ride with the Rocky theme song in the background. Tech (robocop) look is a plus for me. Anyways, on my way to Motowheels to get a pair today.
I went through this debate (Dainese Axial Race vs Sidi Vortice) and ended up purchasing a pair of Sidi Vortice. I used it for one trackday and it was a major change for me (my old boots, for reference was the Dainese Torque Out). The Sidi Vortice was stiffer and felt bulkier.(it's my 2nd boot ever, so no experience with anything else besides my Torque Outs). I did catch part of the ankle brace on something (probably my heel guard on my rearsets) and found it a bit difficult to get my foot back on the peg "just right" after doing a shift while leaned over. I'm sure I will get used to it after 1-2 more days on the track (and it will likely get broken in also) but it's definitely not a trivial thing for me. I'd say the impact to my riding is very close to when I changed from standard shift to GP shift.

So far, I think it will be a good boot (looking forward to replaceable insole and other parts). Also, I am in between sizes for Dainese...43.5 would be perfect, but since the don't make that, I had to buy a 44 and put in an athletic insole.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The reason why Rossi wears his pants over us boot is not because of style.

There are velcro attachment points attach to the hard shin armor of the suit to prevent the foot from spinning around if the TIB/FIB breaks. This prevents further injury to the leg.

Also when it rains, your boot does not fill up with water...

-M

1 - 20 of 26 Posts