Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've recently been riding my Multistrada Enduro with my Sidi Adventure 2 boots and have found to my horror that boots are/have damaged the paint on the engine casing! The inside right boot has a plastic ankle procetor of which has rubbed on the casing and has now scratched the paint work down to bare metal (see attached images) and was hoping the forum had any suggestions on how to get this problem fixed. Needless to say I wont be using the boots again until I can get this problem sorted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Neill

Attachments

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I have that same issue on my 2014 from my Dianese boots...good for you, you ride your bike. In all seriousness, if it bothers you, find a clutch case cover and put it on there.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Quit your fussin' and ride!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
OMG ! Put some tape over it, change the tape when it looks bad. If you ride your bike it will not remain pristine. It adds character.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
The horror, indeed.

I have one of the R&G water pump covers, which I think makes sense. The clutch side cover might be useful if one rides in very rocky terrain, but I'm not sure I'd pay $100 bucks to protect the case from a boot scuff or two...

The guy's second post and he's getting slammed. :laugh:

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I get his concern b/c I like pristine bikes too but after my first knee jerk reaction of cussing the boots for doing it I realized it was silly and don't even really notice it any more. Besides, all the rock chips on the front of my bike are much more annoying.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If you were a real man, you would buy a Harley and ride around in flip-flops like I've seen. Oh sure, it's incredibly stupid, and you could be maimed for life, but you definitely won't scratch the engine cases. :)

On a serious note, that is a bummer, and it's not entirely your fault. You can thank the EnviroNazis for forcing paint companies to come up with increasingly environmentally friendly paint that is increasingly soft as freaking crayons. Years back, that scuffing would have left a mark only. Not wiped the paint out down to bare metal.

One of the biggest paint companies in the world is moving its production out of one particularly aggressive EnviroNazi state and to a less so state because its products have become a joke. A lot of long time employees are losing their jobs for the sake of the environment. No more environmentally friendly electric cars for those folks. They won't be able to afford them. Or much else pretty soon. But at least the EnviroNazis are happy so that's nice.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
And when the employees start dying of chemical induced organ failure , no biggie, right ?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Correct.

We are all going die sometime anyway.

Just kidding.

I'm aware of the nightmare accounts of: workers exposed to cancer causing chemicals; fracking and water that can be lit afire; plastic dead zones in the ocean; etc, etc, and all that is horrible.

I'm just getting sick of the whole PC-EnviroNazi-AntiFa-I-Just-Know-My-3-Month-Old-Baby-Is-Gender-Confused-Ultraliberal-In-Your-Face-Worship-The-Creation-Not-The-Creator-Often-Hugely-Hypocritical-Etc movement. Sure, that's a lot to lump together, but it simplifies things. :)

Too much of a good thing shoved down my throat and my gut reaction is to long for the days when men were men, and paint was paint. And yes, I am getting old, cranky and set in my ways. And it's probably getting time for out with old and in with the new. It's the cycle of life.

OK, rant over.

Ride and paint safe,
Murph

·
Registered
304 Posts
Correct.

We are all going die sometime anyway.

Just kidding.

I'm aware of the nightmare accounts of: workers exposed to cancer causing chemicals; fracking and water that can be lit afire; plastic dead zones in the ocean; etc, etc, and all that is horrible.

I'm just getting sick of the whole PC-EnviroNazi-AntiFa-I-Just-Know-My-3-Month-Old-Baby-Is-Gender-Confused-Ultraliberal-In-Your-Face-Worship-The-Creation-Not-The-Creator-Often-Hugely-Hypocritical-Etc movement. Sure, that's a lot to lump together, but it simplifies things. :)

Too much of a good thing shoved down my throat and my gut reaction is to long for the days when men were men, and paint was paint. And yes, I am getting old, cranky and set in my ways. And it's probably getting time for out with old and in with the new. It's the cycle of life.

OK, rant over.
Thank god.
You don't even actually know what the ducati case cover paint is made from so everything you said is pretty well meaningless

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You don't even actually know what the Ducati case cover paint is made from so everything you said is pretty well meaningless.
Well, son, seeing that ...

1. I that work with chemists in the paint field who have told me exactly what's happening. (Thus, some of the insider knowledge.)
2. Ducati/VW purchases its paint from one of only a relatively few paint companies left in the world that are heavily regulated. (I know this may come a surprise to you, but Ducati doesn't actually have a little shop out back where Italian elves mix water and pigment together in wooden barrels to make their own homegrown paint.)
3. And anyone can plainly see how the quality of paint has declined over the decades on both motorcycles and cars to the point it is as soft as butter ...

I'm thinking "meaningless" is a little harsh. :confused:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
This is my case after 50K miles. My TCX boots are always covered by riding jeans or pants so I guess you're going to get wear over time no matter what you do.
Damn. This again is what I mean by the quality of paint going south.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Well, son, seeing that ...

1. I that work with chemists in the paint field who have told me exactly what's happening. (Thus, some of the insider knowledge.)
2. Ducati/VW purchases its paint from one of only a relatively few paint companies left in the world that are heavily regulated. (I know this may come a surprise to you, but Ducati doesn't actually have a little shop out back where Italian elves mix water and pigment together in wooden barrels to make their own homegrown paint.)
3. And anyone can plainly see how the quality of paint has declined over the decades on both motorcycles and cars to the point it is as soft as butter ...

I'm thinking "meaningless" is a little harsh. :confused:

C'mon. Everyone knows the elves are the ones who approve the warranty claims.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
C'mon. Everyone knows the elves are the ones who approve the warranty claims.
Oh, that I believe. And seeing those little bastards can be as cranky and ranty as my middle-aging self, it's no wonder warranty claims never get approved. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Final thoughts ... My bizarre, now embarrassing, off the rails rant aside - damn, i've been watching too much news! - my real goal was to make authurtwosheds, the OP with just 2 posts here, feel better after complaining about the scratches on his engine cases. Yeah, I get the environmental thing, but there's no way around the fact that paint these days is pathetically weak.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts