Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I'm about to swap out my heavy black steel biposto kickstand for a generic Ducati aluminium item, with the spring on the inside, to help clear my new rear-set gear lever.

This stand looks like it might be one of those sprung stands that flips up as soon as you unload it and put the bike upright. I also can't see a position on it to mount the kickstand sensor that cuts the engine if you put the bike in gear.

If this is the case... (just checking) I'm not too bothered about keeping this switch anyway, so how would I disconnect it from the stand in a position where the engine will run? On my old KTM Superduke I needed a specific part to short circuit the function. It is the same on Ducs, or shall I just disconnect the switch and tie it up?

Here's the bracket

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Genius. Thanks dude.

Anyone know where I can get something like this in the UK. It's only $20 but will probably take two weeks to arrive - if I'm lucky - so if there's a local source that would be great. Google didn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Code:
Genius. Thanks dude.
Cleans-up the area, never liked the dangly wire.

Trace back the wire, from the kick-stand sensor, plug-in.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Genius. Thanks dude.

Anyone know where I can get something like this in the UK. It's only $20 but will probably take two weeks to arrive - if I'm lucky - so if there's a local source that would be great. Google didn't find anything.
Make you own. It just jumpers the two wires together. You can reuse your old connector or juts buy a new connector with terminals.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a spare connector. How do i know which two wires to jump?

Do I just copy the picture of the TPO unit?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a spare connector. How do i know which two wires to jump?

Do I just copy the picture of the TPO unit?
Yeah now that you mention it the TPO picture shows wire jumper. There are only 2 wires at the other connector, power & ground, just jumper the matching pins together.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Your fitting a suicide stand?:eek:

I had one on my 916 and it changed forever the way I got on and off bikes, its a real problem to put down while sat on the bike,difficult to catch with the foot and tricky to get it planted on the ground securely without it springing back at the most inopportune moment.
It remains the only time I've ever dropped a bike.
After that I had to get off completely put the stand down and make sure the weight of the bike was pulled back enough to ensure it stayed there.

Not a mod I will be copying.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Hi guys

Here's the bracket

Thanks.
Dutch

Is this the aliminium kickstand used on the 848 and 06 mono SC? I am about to install a set of Sato Rearsets on my biposto and want to replace my kickstand too. But I dont want to disable the kickstand kill switch.

Can anyone confirm that the 848 and 06 Kickstand allow me to keep the kill switch?

·
Unleaded caffeine please...
149 Posts
Being a cheapy and not wanting to buy that kickstand eliminator switch thingy, on my 748 (that I took my kickstand off - trackbike), I just rotated the switch until it was in the "on" position and then just rolled/wrapped up the wire and zip-tied it to a hidden place. Never had a problem with it.
YMMV

-Pete

Ps. There's a little square and triangle on the switch that indicates on/off.

·
Unleaded caffeine please...
149 Posts
PHP:
Dutch

Is this the aliminium kickstand used on the 848 and 06 mono SC? I am about to install a set of Sato Rearsets on my biposto and want to replace my kickstand too. But I dont want to disable the kickstand kill switch.

Can anyone confirm that the 848 and 06 Kickstand allow me to keep the kill switch?
The '06 bracket will allow you to retain the kill switch, you just have to flip it upside down.

Oh, and the trick I use to manipulate these types of kickstands is to come in from behind the rearset and use my toes (no kinky thoughts here:) instead of trying to catch it with my heel.

-Pete

·
Registered
858 Posts
Your fitting a suicide stand?:eek:

I had one on my 916 and it changed forever the way I got on and off bikes, its a real problem to put down while sat on the bike,difficult to catch with the foot and tricky to get it planted on the ground securely without it springing back at the most inopportune moment.
It remains the only time I've ever dropped a bike.
After that I had to get off completely put the stand down and make sure the weight of the bike was pulled back enough to ensure it stayed there.

Not a mod I will be copying.
No I don't believe that is a suicide stand (self retracting), just no provision for the ignition cutoff safety switch.
However knowing what my memory is like, that is not a mod I'm planning on doing despite the fact that I dislike that extra wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest guys, I don't know if it is a suicide stand or not, but when I retract it by hand it snaps back into the closed position, so I'm guessing. (I'm no kickstand guru ...yet).

The stand I've got here is supposed to be from a 748/916, so whatever that setup was it will be the same. The breaker who sold it to me offered to send it out for me to try, and to send it back if it doesn't fit or work, but I can see the bracket looks like it will fit the engine case and the length measures the same as my SC1000 stand, so I'm optimistic it'll do the job. I'm only fitting it because the outside mounted spring on my Biposto is close to the gear lever, and while this is fine on the road, it may be a problem on track days.

I don't mind retaining the kill switch or losing it, as long as I can fit the stand and make the bike run. I'd feel an idiot if I fitted a new stand and disabled my bike in the process, so I thought I'd ask on here about disabling the switch in case it comes to it.

I like the sound of rotating the switch to ON and taping it up, but I also have a spare Duc connecter from a spare rear brake light cable, so I could make my own loop - or I'll fit the switch upside down as suggested above... if there is a mounting point on this 748 stand.

Either way, thanks to you guys I am now armed with a few options and insights. I'll be happiest if the stand isn't a suicide stand and if I can keep the kill switch, but if it is a suicide stand the switch will be irrelevant, plus I assume I'll have to learn a new technique for dismounting, as dropping this bike is not an option!

More insight welcome, but I do now feel more confident in fitting it without embarrassing outcomes and schoolboy errors.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I'm not sure I understand this "suicide stand" gibberish. My alloy side stand stays put when I park her and when I take the weight off and give 'er a quick nudge it flips up and stays put. I have NEVER been uneasy about my bike staying up with the stock side stand.

Y'all realize that properly parking a bike is to turn it all the way to the left, allowing the steering lock to engage if you wish. Doing so helps the bike create a tripod and thus added stability. It looks nice turning the steering all the way to the right but it won't help as much to keep the bike planted.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
And not only that but the smooth stand itself was tricky to catch properly with your foot and was difficult to tell if it was properly engaged meaning it could unexpectedly spring back dumping your bike on its side with no warning.
A healthy dose of paranoia was the only way to be sure, a tell tale sign was standing motionless beside the bike for a minute or so staring at it with anticipation and prepared to pounce like a cat with the merest hint of movement.

Ask me how I know:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts