Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After washing and waxing the bike, I do notice that the sides of the tank experiences some wear, scratches and scuffs from my riding pants constantly rubbing against the sides of the tank. I'm leaning towards getting a set. How many different colors or options do I have with the MTS? The front of the tank is really not too big of an issue since the front of the seat appears to take most of the rubbing from my gear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dun like them. Ugly as sin, but they do serve a good purpose, especially if you take it off-road.

If forced into it I'd buy the clear ones.

Sent from my iPad blah blah....

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am thinking of getting a liquid diamond pro coating. Look for 9h-ldc pro on the internet. A company called always dry. They give you a 5 year warranty and the coating makes it water and dirt repellent as well as guarding against scratches. They say the coating is 10x times harder than factory clear coat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
589 Posts
3m clear film wrap , works great and is pretty much invisible , I bought a kit with laser cut pcs for the Multi and had them professionally put on 3 years ago on all the painted surfaces for rock chip protection , and it has worked great , I also purchased a special wax for the film wrap from the installing shop , which keeps it pristine .

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Hmm... $100+ for a film that will help... or just take the tank cover off and have it painted after enough wear (probably a couple hundred bucks... but maybe never needed).

I guess I'll opt for the naked tank and get it painted. OTOH... if I go through with my plan to get the bike painted tricolore at some point I'll likely go for some sort of protection - custom paint jobs aren't cheap.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3m clear film wrap , works great and is pretty much invisible , I bought a kit with laser cut pcs for the Multi and had them professionally put on 3 years ago on all the painted surfaces for rock chip protection , and it has worked great , I also purchased a special wax for the film wrap from the installing shop , which keeps it pristine .
I like the idea of the clear film. I'm considering buying the side tank slapper for the MTS and use it as a template on the clear film. Too bad they dont offer them in clear, why do they have to be in different colors.

·
Registered
600 Posts
3M film, typically 8mil is made for a few brand names and you can buy sheets from most window tinters or home/commercial glass businesses that do protective tiniting. Or can get direct through companies like X-Pel. Very easy to install and one can easily make a template out of paper and trim their own. Buy any size you want to keep around the house for rub protection from cables, boot and pant rubbing etc...

For the most part it's transparent and works well. Issues to consider are you need to apply on fully cured paints or your paint may peel up with the film in time. The manufacturers suggest 6 months or so. I covered an older VW Eurovan hood to preserve it longer as it has been a little pockmarked with rock chips and touched up. Where I had touched up, the paint was clearly going to come up with the film.

Also consider the softness of the paint on the Multistrada. I was very carefully removing the gas tank warning sticker and 1/3 came off OK and as I eased it off, up came a layer of red paint. Never in all my life have I had this happen with a stupid warning sticker. Happened on day one as I was about to wax my brand new bike. It's being warrantied. On the Multi I don't seem to ever touch the tank itself. Where I do is the side panels near the rubber frame cap. A 6-8 inch section of 3M film can be placed in that spot and all I am considering doing. The fairing has so many angles, the emblem, etc... I probably won't bother. With the multi going forward I may be loathe to put any adhesives on it after seeing what removing the warning sticker did.

I put 3M film on the rear of my '06 Sport as I did not like the appearance of any others. I made a top piece and another for the back. A few inches wide and a few inches forward of the rear of the tank. Here is a link from an early thread... http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/2482-tank-protection-2.html. Has held up great though the stupid white stripe decal has begun to bubble so tank is being re-stickered (rear white stripe) and clear coated plus having interior sealed.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I like the clear 3M stuff too. I cut out pieces from some I had out in the garage for the '12s tank, and they are almost invisible. I forget they are on there sometimes.

I sold my ST1100 3-4 years ago. It still had the 3M stuff I'd put on it in 1999! Still looked brand new.

·
Registered
576 Posts
+1 for Tankslapper. Had it on my ST3 and did great. Need to get after that for the multi.

·
Registered
265 Posts
After washing and waxing the bike, I do notice that the sides of the tank experiences some wear, scratches and scuffs from my riding pants constantly rubbing against the sides of the tank...
Aesthetic reasons aside, the purpose of having tank protectors on the sides of the tank is not to keep your paint unscratched, but to give your knees something to grip when you apply the brakes. If you don't clutch the tank with your knees when you apply the brakes you can't steer effectively because you're using your arms to brace yourself from sliding forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aesthetic reasons aside, the purpose of having tank protectors on the sides of the tank is not to keep your paint unscratched, but to give your knees something to grip when you apply the brakes. If you don't clutch the tank with your knees when you apply the brakes you can't steer effectively because you're using your arms to brace yourself from sliding forward.
Great point, there are times when there is a need to squeeze your knees against the tank and a bit of friction helps over a slippery surface. I'm at the beginning stages of Motogymkhana and honing my skills on the MTS. I need friction on the sides of my tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do they make these for the DVT?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I added some 3M film to my Multi this morning. Got back from a long ride yesterday and cleaned the bugs off and noticed a small stripe across the panel that sits just below the tank. The only place I make contact at times, so I have a box of film from a car bra I never used since was a prize and my car already has a bra. So traced the area and cut out two panels. Basically from the seam on top to where it curves about 6-7 inches down or adjacent to the rubber frame end. I didn't mess with wrapping the film around the panels as sometimes it's a bitch to get radical curves to stick, but the front edge bevels so just 1/8th in. shy of front edge and 2/3rds of the lip under the seat edge is covered. I angled the bottom of the film somewhat parallel to the top so it also parallels ones leg while riding. Otherwise the bike's black frame guard protects from boots while standing and the frame itself at times.

Contemplating making some pieces for the front if I have the material.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never thought of doing that on a bike / tank before. Very good idea. I still don't have even a regular one on my 1098, but so far it's fine. I'm always nervous about it though, and my first 1098's protector was ugly so I just leave things the way they are and worry LOL.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I added some 3M film to my Multi this morning. Got back from a long ride yesterday and cleaned the bugs off and noticed a small stripe across the panel that sits just below the tank. The only place I make contact at times, so I have a box of film from a car bra I never used since was a prize and my car already has a bra. So traced the area and cut out two panels. Basically from the seam on top to where it curves about 6-7 inches down or adjacent to the rubber frame end. I didn't mess with wrapping the film around the panels as sometimes it's a bitch to get radical curves to stick, but the front edge bevels so just 1/8th in. shy of front edge and 2/3rds of the lip under the seat edge is covered. I angled the bottom of the film somewhat parallel to the top so it also parallels ones leg while riding. Otherwise the bike's black frame guard protects from boots while standing and the frame itself at times.

Contemplating making some pieces for the front if I have the material.
Kind of off topic, but it's my thread so I'm going ask. What's with all those stickers located on three separate parts of the frame on the 16 model, and maybe the 15's. So visible and simply putting it, Yuck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts