Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a strange one. My 03 ST4s used to start with the side stand down if in neutral. Also if side stand up and in gear if clutch is disengaged.

Now with a replacement 5AM ECU (EX 1098) that was running in a 2003 ST4s the side stand needs to be up and the clutch disengaged in neutral to start. I thought this was how the 02 and earlier bikes were configured so maybe it was flashed with an earlier model ECU file?

My question would be if i had the original file from my old ECU flashed into this ECU would it bring this procedure back to how it was? Also would it leave the lockset and immobiliser still active for this ECU alone and still functional. I guess I could start it on the center stand for warm up but worried about the clutch switch failing in the middle on nowhere and preventing the bike running. In this situation I could just bridge the switch wires temporarily.

Thanks,
Nick.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
given you don't actually know what file is in the ecu you are running, my question would be why do you expect it to work as before?

st4s starter logic circuit was 03>.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
A bit of a strange one. My 03 ST4s used to start with the side stand down if in neutral. Also if side stand up and in gear if clutch is disengaged.

Now with a replacement 5AM ECU (EX 1098) that was running in a 2003 ST4s the side stand needs to be up and the clutch disengaged in neutral to start. I thought this was how the 02 and earlier bikes were configured so maybe it was flashed with an earlier model ECU file?

My question would be if i had the original file from my old ECU flashed into this ECU would it bring this procedure back to how it was? Also would it leave the lockset and immobiliser still active for this ECU alone and still functional. I guess I could start it on the center stand for warm up but worried about the clutch switch failing in the middle on nowhere and preventing the bike running. In this situation I could just bridge the switch wires temporarily.

Thanks,
Nick.
Hey, Nick.

If the tune is working great, why not just short the terminals in the connector for the side stand harness? I have it this way forever and not single problem. You can do this temporarily to see if you like it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Nick.

If the tune is working great, why not just short the terminals in the connector for the side stand harness? I have it this way forever and not single problem. You can do this temporarily to see if you like it.

Have a good one.
Smells extremely rich but may just be a cold start. Being the later ECU the Rexxer map for this is improved over the 59 so I am looking to have this flashed in, which may return the start procedure to the way it was. The Rexxer guy has seen this occur before. My old ECU was Rexxer flashed with amazing results. I have also found the invoice showing the fuel trim values that were last set in the bike so will have those updated as well.

If I still have the side stand issue I will bridge the switch out as you suggest :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
given you don't actually know what file is in the ecu you are running, my question would be why do you expect it to work as before?

st4s starter logic circuit was 03>.
Good question and this shows my ignorance with the electrical side of maintenance. I tend to learn as I am exposed to issues. So learning as I go thanks to all your help!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
the ecu works on very rigid rules. for a given input (or combination thereof), you get a specified output. change stuff, especially underlying inputs, and it's a bit of who knows.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
And note, as we IM'd, a 59M bin file will not work on a 5AM. The file sizes are totally different. Did you read the string that I referred you to? It outlines in there that you "could" take and copy a 59M fuel map (into an XL file), and then copy and paste that into the newer 5AM fuel map area. I have not done this, as my 5AM ECU in my 2003 ST4s is running very well. And it has the same side stand issue as yours does now. But I find it easy to live with.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And note, as we IM'd, a 59M bin file will not work on a 5AM. The file sizes are totally different. Did you read the string that I referred you to? It outlines in there that you "could" take and copy a 59M fuel map (into an XL file), and then copy and paste that into the newer 5AM fuel map area. I have not done this, as my 5AM ECU in my 2003 ST4s is running very well. And it has the same side stand issue as yours does now. But I find it easy to live with.
Thanks Stick, i will go ahead and reflash with a rexxer map will negate the need for the fuel map part of the file. I have the old fuel trim numbers that will also be entered into the new ecu. I can always warm up on the center stand. Just have to fix the problem where the center stand return inertia drives it up into the pipe header. Trouble with some aftermarket pipes that do not have bump stop......

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
if the tools will talk to it, just read the file out of your old ecu and flash it into the replacement. or are you going from 59m to 5am? don't assume the mapping will be the same, even for two 59m or 5am files. early st4s 59m fuel maps are straight up weird. no relevance to later ones at all.

the difference between 59m and 5am has nothing to do with file size. file size is because various tools have been set to read files from certain ecu at a certain size, and it you try to do something stupid, like flash a 59m file into a 5am, the fact that the file is not the specified size will make the tool say no. inbuilt way of protecting you from yourself.

my main tool couldn't give a rat's arse, and will read at 3 different file sizes as desired. also lets you turn ecu into bricks if you're not paying attention. i have a few of them.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
OEM file sizes are 256K for the 59M, and 320K for the 5AM.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the tools will talk to it, just read the file out of your old ecu and flash it into the replacement. or are you going from 59m to 5am? don't assume the mapping will be the same, even for two 59m or 5am files. early st4s 59m fuel maps are straight up weird. no relevance to later ones at all.

the difference between 59m and 5am has nothing to do with file size. file size is because various tools have been set to read files from certain ecu at a certain size, and it you try to do something stupid, like flash a 59m file into a 5am, the fact that the file is not the specified size will make the tool say no. inbuilt way of protecting you from yourself.
Old is 59m new is 5am so cannot do the copy and reflash. The 5am will take the later model Rexxer map which is apparently a lot better than the Rexxer map for 59m. Saying the early ST4s map is weird probably explains this a little.
Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts